IPB Security Patch December 2013 for us dummies

TracyIsland

It's as simple or as complicated as you make it. I make sure it is very easy.

Not going to get into a pissing match with you, but to assume you know how other people run their forums or integrate it into their site is short sighted. Upgrading the forums at my site is never easy. To many interconnected components. Glad to hear its easy for you.

I think it's unreasonable to expect security patches for minor versions. It would add an enormous overhead. The model IPS use is, I believe, also used by other major software developers like, say, Mozilla. I do not get security updates to FF unless I update. I keep my forums on the current release as a matter of course for exactly this reason.

I would like to ask for some clarification though;

What happens if I am on a hosted account running < 3.4.6 on the 3.4.X series? As I read the above, the patch does not work with 3.4.4. I may not have updated. What happens to my hosted forum in that situation? (it hasn't happened to me, but I would like to know for future reference)

Thanks

You are on 3.4.6 now with your hosted account, so you are all good. If there are any questions with any hosted account however, you or anyone can file a ticket in the hosting department and we would be happy to take a look at the account.

Thank you

Not going to get into a pissing match with you, but to assume you know how other people run their forums or integrate it into their site is short sighted. Upgrading the forums at my site is never easy. To many interconnected components. Glad to hear its easy for you.

It's not short sighted and I did not say I know how other people run their forums. I made a reasonable assumption. You, as webmaster, have total control over the modifications, skins, configuration, etc., so it is entirely in your control how easy or how hard it is to upgrade. Nobody forces you to customise your forum in the way that you do, especially not IPS.

Discrediting my argument by calling it short sighted really doesn't do you any credit.

Yikes. What a response.

I just wanted to let people know what happened to us, and what file it was. It's easy enough to revert back to the old file (assuming you keep backups) until a time where all of IPS can be updated. I didn't have the time to fiddle with an update, and I'm certainly not going to update on a weekend during peak usage. I'm sure others are in similar situations.

Info would have been nice, but I can't really blame the devs for not back-testing a patch on outdated versions. It'd be nice to update the download page with a disclaimer though because it's not very clear with how it's written.

I can't think what all the drama is about and why anyone is still running 3.4.4 considering the current version is 3.4.6, the difference being bug fixes. Using IPS's updater you can be up and running 3.4.6 in about 10 minutes. Skins and mods will still work.

I can't think what all the drama is about and why anyone is still running 3.4.4 considering the current version is 3.4.6, the difference being bug fixes. Using IPS's updater you can be up and running 3.4.6 in about 10 minutes. Skins and mods will still work.

I would agree, and also considering we offer free upgrades, file a ticket if needed, we would be happy to help anyone get upgraded to the latest version.

We are here to help you guys, so rather then stress over it, file a ticket, we will get you fixed up, then you can go finish your Christmas shopping :) :)

I can tell you from my point of view as I am still running 3.4.5 and not planing to update anytime soon. Basically my active license expired and the upgrade from 3.4.5 to 3.4.6 will cost me $60 with all the addons I am running. Personally I don't think it is worth it, since 3.4.5 is pretty stable in my opinion. And since I don't think 4.0 will be readyfor use in the next 6 months I will need to pay the 60 usd just for this minor version update, which I don't think is justified.

Note: I don't care about the ticket support, spam service and visual live editor. If people find value there, then for them keeping the license always live is worth it. To me it is not.

I was going to mention the fact that there are no free upgrades for minor releases if your license has expired, but you beat me to it.

If this patch would really break things on v3.4.0-v3.4.4, I think a notice should at least be included saying users will need to upgrade so people who haven't upgraded don't unknowingly apply it.

There is a separate patch for 3.3 which should not break anything if applies to 3.3.x

The patch for 3.4.x, should be applied to 3.4.6, if you are running 3.4.0 through 3.4.5 the patch is included in 3.4.6 and it's recommended that you upgrade to 3.4.6 rather then patching. As far as skins, mods, hooks go, there shouldn't be any issues going from 3.4.0 to 3.4.6 as well so there should be no reason not to upgrade.

ok maybe I misread/missed something, but the 3.3.x patch works on all 3.3.x versions but the 3.4 version may, for some, break 3.4.5 and the answer is to upgrade.

but if license expired you can't.

whats so different about 3.4.5 in this case?

I am 3.4.6 so no issues on my end, just curious.

Hello, no, from what I understand one person reported an issue with the patch for 3.4.x and version 3.4.4, we have not seen any tickets on this however so I can't confirm there is an issue, however if one exist, it's a very simple fix.. > 346 :)

I would agree, and also considering we offer free upgrades, file a ticket if needed, we would be happy to help anyone get upgraded to the latest version.

We are here to help you guys, so rather then stress over it, file a ticket, we will get you fixed up, then you can go finish your Christmas shopping :smile: :smile:

This is not about upgrading and whether or not its hard to do .

Once again, what is being asked for is being glossed over. Every time a patch is released I have to open a ticket to see if it will break an older version. Sometimes I get a yes, sometimes I get a no, and for this patch I got a no, then a maybe, and then no it should be fine again all in the same ticket. If the support staff do not know at first, how am I supposed to?

The blogs on my forum are broken as it is because at one point in the past you released a version of the blogs and never stated it would break older installation. I installed it and boom. Broken blogs. Was told the only way to fix it was to upgrade my IPB version, which I was not ready to do just to get blogs working.

What is being requested is that you provide as much information as possible about what ramifications using the patch will have instead of making blanket statements of 3.4.x. That way, regardless of how easy or hard a web master chooses to make the upgrade process on their site, they have the information to make an educated decision on what they would like to do with that patch.

I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

grinler - all the more reason for keeping up to date with bug fixes. Now if you're not going to keep up to date all you have to do is keep a copy of the zip download that you do have. It's then an easy matter to replace the files that got updated with the patch.

grinler - all the more reason for keeping up to date with bug fixes.

Some versions introduce bugs that would cause issues on my site. It was one of the main reasons I held off upgrading for so long to the 3.4 line. Many of those issues have been resolved thankfully. Every site is different, so one shoe does not fit all. That is why I am asking for concise and detailed security/update announcements. That way I can decide if its something I need or want to do.

Now if you're not going to keep up to date all you have to do is keep a copy of the zip download that you do have. It's then an easy matter to replace the files that got updated with the patch.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you mean to do a diff on the patch against original source? I do that, but as the patches are made against current version its not easy to see if it would break something in a version 1 earlier.

We ALWAYS release security patches against the latest version in each series. We have virtually never (barring major circumstances warranting us to do so) released a patch against each minor point release, and we have no plans to start.

If you are running 3.3.x we recommend installing the patch for 3.3.x.

If you are running 3.4.x we recommend installing the patch for 3.4.x. I am hearing (through the comments above) that the patch, built against 3.4.6 of course, does not work correctly on 3.4.4. If that is the case you will need to upgrade to 3.4.6 I'm afraid. We will not be releasing individual patches for 3.4.5, 3.4.4, 3.4.3, 3.4.2, and so on. It is not that those versions aren't supported, it is simply that we build patches against the latest version in a release series and if there is an incompatibility we will recommend that you upgrade. I am unaware of any specific reasons the patch wouldn't work against 3.4.5 at this time.

Guys, there is no need to debate this, as Brandon has covered this very well above on the policy of how things are patched. I would recommend reading this again perhaps. If you have a specific complaint, then please file a ticket and we can have management address your specific issues if needed.

I'm sorry that some of you are not happy, however we do our best to ensure we do everything we can from a support standpoint to ensure a smooth process, as I mentioned before, if you have any trouble at all, file a ticket, we will help you!

Thank you for understanding

Archived