RTE issue with IE10

Rheddy

I didn't know where to place this topic, so here goes.

Recently, one of the moderators on my forum has identified a problem that is in regards to the new release of Internet Explorer 10. First, I haven't used Internet Explorer ever since they decided to transform the browser and that it has so many pop-up features that it simply drives me nuts. With that said, one of my moderators recently upgraded to IE10 and he's reporting that there seems to be an issue in regards to IPB 3.4.5 and it's performance with IPB 3.4.5.

The problem as he's stated it refers to the rich text editor. I don't know exactly what he's pointing to so I'll quote his comment: "to press a formatting button in order to enter it properly which is quite a nuisance". He refers to the rich text editor as he's using IE10.

Has then been reported or is IPS working on a fix for IE10?

I didn't know where to place this topic, so here goes.

Recently, one of the moderators on my forum has identified a problem that is in regards to the new release of Internet Explorer 10. First, I haven't used Internet Explorer ever since they decided to transform the browser and that it has so many pop-up features that it simply drives me nuts. With that said, one of my moderators recently upgraded to IE10 and he's reporting that there seems to be an issue in regards to IPB 3.4.5 and it's performance with IPB 3.4.5.

The problem as he's stated it refers to the rich text editor. I don't know exactly what he's pointing to so I'll quote his comment: "to press a formatting button in order to enter it properly which is quite a nuisance". He refers to the rich text editor as he's using IE10.

Has then been reported or is IPS working on a fix for IE10?

The issues are with IE11, IE10 has been out for about a year now.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/internet-explorer-11-copy-paste-issue-r42941
http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/internet-explorer-11-cannot-upload-attachments-r42951

The biggest underlying issue is in CKEditor, which they're fixing in CKE4.3, whether those fixes make their way down to 3.4.5 is something I can't answer (IP.Board3.4 uses CKE3.6)

My mistake on IE10, I thought it was the new web browser from Microsoft. But, I'm just rpeorting the issue as it's been relayed to me. I wonder if anyone else has had any problems with RTE and the web browser. To be honest, I've only been using Opera or Firefox to access my forums. I haven't used IE since version 9.

Turns out, the user was reporting the issue in regards to the Windows RT OS for the tablet. Hope that clafrifies it a little better. As it stands, I haven't heard of any of my members registering problems with an actual PC or laptop when logged into their forum account.

I just received the reply to a support request:

Hello,
I'm afraid we do not currently support Internet Explorer 11. There are still libraries that IP.Board requires that are missing

from the browser in its current state.

I'm afraid our only recommendation at this stage is to use a different browser.

yet, here I am editing a post in the same board using IE11. What gives!

The support request did not say that IE11 will not work, or that you can't use it. However it is not an officially supported browser for all features across the board. For instance, CKEditor (the editor we use when submitting posts) does not officially support IE11 yet. There are open bugs that CKEditor have not resolved, and will not resolve until a future version of their editor package (which we most likely will not be able to backport into 3.4.x).

If the functionality you use works fine in IE11, by all means use IE11. If something is broken in IE11-only, however, it is possible that it will not be fixable in 3.4.x. That will depend upon specifics.

What I was saying is that I am able to edit here--on this board. I can use the add link feature here, I can even copy and paste. I can only add text on my board but not edit it. I visit another IPBoard and have the same problem. (Notice here that I was able to add the link. I can't do that on mine!)

So my question is, what is the difference between this instance of the board and mine? Have you fixed yours? are you using a beta version? How can I make the version I am paying for work as well as this one?

I see that the majority of people are using Chrome (53%) and IE is only (12%). Even so, it is a red flag that you are in the business of providing a service that is so dependent on browser performance and are not able to keep up with the changes. I suppose it is a common problem for all board developers, but I hate to be forced into a different browser after using IE for so long. I can change, but now it seems I have to make all of my members change. I have enough trouble with participation without this!

We are currently beta testing 3.4.6, yes: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

It will be released in due course. That said, I'm unaware of any changes specifically to better support IE11 in this release.

We fully support IE, however we are using a third party editor javascript solution and THEY do not yet support IE11, thus we (by proxy) do not either. Most functionality works - it's not completely broken. Some features, however, reportedly do not work 100% correctly in IE11 just yet, simply because it was just released and they haven't added support. This is a situation that is outside of our control at this time.

If you are having trouble with your board I could only recommend submitting a ticket. I'm unable to tell you why you might have trouble editing on a third party site, unless something in 3.4.6 (which we are running, and which is available for beta testing) changed this - although I'm not aware of anything specifically.

Archived