Content Spy

File name: Content Spy
Submitter: stoo2000
Submitted: 09/30/2013
Category: User and Social Engagement
Demo : http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/spy/
Discussion URL :
Support Info: Tech Support available: http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/index.php?app=nexus&module=support&section=new
Supported Versions: IP.Blog 2.6.x,IP.Board 3.4.x,IP.Calendar 3.3.x,IP.Content 2.3.x,IP.Downloads 2.5.x,IP.Gallery 5.0.x

Content Spy is an application that allows users to view a near-real-time stream of activity, with a full dynamic page of content, or in a mini-spy on the board index.

Content Spy 1.2 features brand new App Filters, where the user can define which content they prefer to see. These filter preferences are saved on the server.

Features Include

• Low resource usage
  • Admin configurable poll rate
  • Admin configurable timeout (stop looking for data after x minutes incase a user has left a window open)
  • Full Page Spy
  • Mini Spy in sidebar
  • Global Spy
  • Recent Activity Profile Tab
  • User configurable app filters
  • User configurable followed content filter

Supported IPS Applications

• IP.Board (New Topics & Posts)
  • IP.Blog (New Entries & Comments)
  • IP.Downloads (New Files, Updated Files & Comments)
  • IP.Content (New Articles, Updated Articles & Article Comments)
  • IP.Gallery Support (Album Updates & New Comments)
  • IP.Calendar Support (New Events, Updated Events & New Comments)

Other Applications With Content Spy Support

Please note, a single purchase entitles you to use this app on one website. If you would like to use it on more than one website, you will be required to purchase a license for that website.

Content Spy 1.2.4 is a compatibility release for IP.Board 3.4.7, use Content Spy 1.2.3 for versions before IP.Board 3.4.7

View File

I am planning on buying this today, but just wanted to say that I would pay three times this for something that would actually enable you to read all recent posts in succession, rather than just see the post titles and have to open then one by one.

I saw that feature once on a IPB 2.x site five years ago and I used it every day. Finding a similar hook like this has been a holy grail for me ever since, but even the IPS team said it would probably be too hard for them to code since it means digging through so many different databases at one time. However, on this old ipb forum it was a great feature and everyone loved it. You would have a deeper niche if you could pull that off.

It would allow you to go 100 pages back, with 20 post on each page (all posts arranged chronologically regardless of what thread they were in, permissions-granting of course). With this tool you can get caught up on a forum by blitzing through all the recent posts without clicking on new threads constantly. It also lets you go back in time and speed read through old stuff.

Reference point: >

Edit: Looking at what the current version of IPB has for "posts", what I am looking for would look just like this, but be for all members:

holy_grail_example_zps18bd1506.jpg

[on IPB 3.4.5]

I just bought this but unfortunately my main admin account was unable to view the sidebar hook (yes all permissions were set).

Then, when I tried to log in the site as a guest admin I had a fatal error in Chrome. Tried it again in Firefox, another fatal error.

However, it was working with all my other member groups, including guests, and even a member group that I invented with inherited admin permissions.

Chrome:

" alt="fatal_error_spy_zps557ca9d2.jpg">

fatal_error_spy_zps557ca9d2.jpg' alt=''

Firefox:

" alt="fatal_error_spy2_zpsd8923287.jpg">

fatal_error_spy2_zpsd8923287.jpg' alt=''

Nothing is crashing with the sidebar disabled, but the sidebar was my attraction to this app.

[on IPB 3.4.5]

I just bought this but unfortunately my main admin account was unable to view the sidebar hook (yes all permissions were set).

Then, when I tried to log in the site as a guest admin I had a fatal error in Chrome. Tried it again in Firefox, another fatal error.

However, it was working with all my other member groups, including guests, and even a member group that I invented with inherited admin permissions.

Chrome:

" alt="fatal_error_spy_zps557ca9d2.jpg">

fatal_error_spy_zps557ca9d2.jpg' alt=''

Firefox:

" alt="fatal_error_spy2_zpsd8923287.jpg">

fatal_error_spy2_zpsd8923287.jpg' alt=''

Nothing is crashing with the sidebar disabled, but the sidebar was my attraction to this app.

It's a fairly common issue IP.Board unfortunately, in some circumstances IP.Board fails to import templates when installing an application (it's not limited to this application).

To fix you need to do the following.

• Click Look & Feel
  • Click Template Tools (left menu)
  • Under Rebuild Master Skin Data, check Rebuild HTML, Rebuild CSS, Content Spy
  • Click Rebuild
  • Click Recache Skin Sets

Everything is working perfect now. Thanks for the help!

I also am loving that disabled-by-default post preview hook, although it would be nice to see an option to make the previews a little bigger (at our own risk of course).

This app improves the user experience of my site and so this was definitely worth it for me (even though this is kind of a lot of money for people in the US). Still, fairly priced for what it does, and I would recommend it to others without hesitation.

I'm currently having some troubles with content spy, I've integrated the content spy in a drop down menu, All works fine, shows the topics and such how I want it to, But I'm getting some header code errors, which are the following.

Warning: Missing argument 7 for skin_spy_9::spyJsVars(), called in /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_global.php on line 111 and defined in /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_spy.php on line 276
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_global.php on line 124
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_spy.php:276) in /localhost/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_spy.php:276) in /localhost/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_spy.php:276) in /localhost/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_spy.php:276) in /localhost/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /localhost/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_9/skin_spy.php:276) in /localhost/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

I can provide you with the codes I've used in personal message if you need it.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to be lazy but can I ask this quick question

Would content spy show my moderator all new posts and allow them to quickly moderate anything rather than having to go into each topic individually when new posts are made since their last visit?

Hi,

Sorry to be lazy but can I ask this quick question

Would content spy show my moderator all new posts and allow them to quickly moderate anything rather than having to go into each topic individually when new posts are made since their last visit?

Answered your PM :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Please note (I forgot to put this in the file description)

Support
If you require any support for this product please create a Technical Support ticket in the Client Area. You must supply your IPS Community display name and email address.

Edit:

I`m using the content spy-portal-block (mini spy style) and it shows ALL entries double !

Can you help, please?

File a ticket with your URL (link above) and I'll take a look.

• 1 month later...

Does this work on mobile? I visited your test/demo on my mobile and it listed nothing.

Hi Joey,

I'm afraid the IP.B 3.x mobile skin cripples functionality required, which is why it isn't displayed via mobile.

However, if you implement a responsive skin ('?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> ) ContentSpy will display and function.

Thanks

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bug you, would you be open to adding the follow as a feature?

1) Allow the spy content to scroll further than what is currently limited? I think avoiding multiple pages by using ajax (is that the correct term) would be really popular. So, when you hold/click it brings up a scrolling option. I think allowing more content to be seen would be good, as my site would list similar content but with replies etc. Adding this would really be useful.

Sorry to bug you, would you be open to adding the follow as a feature?

1) Allow the spy content to scroll further than what is currently limited? I think avoiding multiple pages by using ajax (is that the correct term) would be really popular. So, when you hold/click it brings up a scrolling option. I think allowing more content to be seen would be good, as my site would list similar content but with replies etc. Adding this would really be useful.

Hi Joey,

Is it possible you're getting confused with another app? The entire idea behind Content Spy is that is AJAX powered, and updates in real-time.

Stuart

Sorry, is there a set limit to the amount of content it displays?

I thought it cut off, basically I was requesting the ability to list perhaps the whole content from the last 24 hours. Like a live centre, if you're fimilar with the BBC - they do a feature where you can stream text coverage for events and that as the power to be scrolled down and read. Also, sky have a similar tool for finding content but they have quick multi tabs.

Hi Joey,

The main page only shows the last X rows of activity, this is an admin option, for looking at content in the last 24 hours etc, really that is what View New Content is for. There isn't any point replicating something that already succeeds in the task.

You can see a demo here: http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/spy/

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I'm experiencing issues with the latest release of IP.Board.

I get this when I try to delete a topic...

Strict Standards: Declaration of spyForumsModLibrary::postDeleteFromDb() should be compatible with moderatorLibrary::postDeleteFromDb($id, $nostats = false, $quick = false, $taskInitiated = false) in /home/prideofn/public_html/community/hooks/spyForumsModLibrary_48167b735f0e9dc20bedbeb59661bef4.php on line 383

Strict Standards: Declaration of spyForumsModLibrary::topicDeleteFromDB() should be compatible with moderatorLibrary::topicDeleteFromDB($id, $nostats = 0, $taskInitiated = false) in /home/prideofn/public_html/community/hooks/spyForumsModLibrary_48167b735f0e9dc20bedbeb59661bef4.php on line 383

I get a similar error when it try to move something.

I'm experiencing issues with the latest release of IP.Board.

I get this when I try to delete a topic...

Strict Standards: Declaration of spyForumsModLibrary::postDeleteFromDb() should be compatible with moderatorLibrary::postDeleteFromDb($id, $nostats = false, $quick = false, $taskInitiated = false) in /home/prideofn/public_html/community/hooks/spyForumsModLibrary_48167b735f0e9dc20bedbeb59661bef4.php on line 383

Strict Standards: Declaration of spyForumsModLibrary::topicDeleteFromDB() should be compatible with moderatorLibrary::topicDeleteFromDB($id, $nostats = 0, $taskInitiated = false) in /home/prideofn/public_html/community/hooks/spyForumsModLibrary_48167b735f0e9dc20bedbeb59661bef4.php on line 383

I get a similar error when it try to move something.

Hi Joey,

I'll have an update out for this soon, ironically, it's due to a change I made in 3.4.7 :lol:

Stuart

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I'm interested in to buy your app but I have two question before I'll make my decision to buy it:
1. Is it possible to modify template of how results are displayed? I would like to add avatars next to user name, and also show a content of post. I did something similar on my website http://www.grasz24.pl/index.html#ostatnio_na_forum (box on the right side called "Ostatnio na forum"). But your app can put all stuf in one place from other apps - that's great.

2. Is there global hook to display it on IP.Content?