File name: Elections System
Submitter: José A
Submitted: 09/24/2013
Category: User and Social Engagement
Demo :
Discussion URL :
Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.4.x
Support Info : Topic

This app allows you tu run elections on your board, good for members who wan't to run for staff positions.

Fetaures: Settings:   

Enable/Disable system.   

General view permissions.  

Show votes during elections or after voting time expires.   

Show active users list.   

Select groups than can manage ballots.   

Send pm to members elected.

ACP:   

Create/Edit/Manage ballots.   

Create/Edit/Manage positions.   

Manage candidates.   

Select nominations, start - close date & time.   

Select voting, start - close date & time.   

Requirements for members to join, (Joined Date,Posts,Reputation)   

Select groups that can vote.   

Select groups that can run for active positions.   

Select how many spots available for each position.

READ BEFORE YOU PURCHASE

Check all features on the list above and make sure what you need is listed there or ask in the support topic.

All sales are final so there will be no refunds.

View File

Great app. I wrote a similar app for my community, but this is much more polished and feature-full.

Two bug reports:
1) When adding a position to a ballot, if you don't select a joined date requirement it defaults to the beginning of Unix time (Jan 1, 1970). If this field is left blank, it should either default to off or maybe the beginning of the nomination process.
2) When viewing ballots/nomination screens, image files are called from /public/style_images/{theme}/elections/(accept.jpg and delete.jpg). I assume you're trying to use the default theme images, so need to leave off the last /elections/

I also have a few feature requests.
1) Candidate statements: when electing to run for a position, candidates should be allowed to make a statement about their candidacy. A text box on the nomination form, displayed on the final ballot.
2) Can you add a column in the "Manage Positions" view that displays the number of candidates? That way it's possible to get a quick view of whether there are enough candidates to have an election.
3) On my community we do per-forum moderator elections. Members run for one specific forum, and they must meet the minimum post requirements for that forum. Can you add a feature to link positions to specific forums, then calculate minimum posts for that forum only? It would also be great (although I imagine much more difficult) if after elections it could automatically remove the old moderators and add the new ones.

Thanks for the quick response. There's still an issue with the images. Uploading the election images into the folder for the master theme means they're not called from custom themes. The path /public/style_images/{theme}/elections/*.jpg) replaces {theme} with the current theme. I see two solutions. I could (and will) manually upload the images into each theme folder. However, since you're using the exact same images as stock IPB, might as well just call the default images at /public/style_images/{theme}/*.jpg. This solution also means that custom themes have their specialized images used, which looks better.

I also edited my first post while you responded, I just had one other feature request. When electing to run for a position, candidates should be allowed to make a statement about their candidacy. A text box on the nomination form, displayed on the final ballot.

• 1 month later...

ok where it says limit votes the default was 0 i put 100 yet see no place to vote yet and it set to start voting today

i set most all users to vote

what am i doing wrong?

the limit vote option is to set a limit of how many candidates the per member can vote for

example:

you have a admin position that only one spot is available , you can set to 1 so all members can vote for only one candidate

for supermod position you have 3 spots available with 16 candidates, you can set to 3, so members can vote up to 3 candidates if they want

for the second issue make sure nominations are closed

check the demo on my site it works

• 5 months later...

Can staff add members automatically to this, rather have members add themselves for the election? For instance, I would like to use this for the User of The Month competition we run. Currently it is a topic we use and then the top nominations are added to a poll and then voted upon.

I would like to use the election system for this, in fact I purchased it reading that it would do this (my own fault) - is this possible? Adding something into the ACP that allows staff to add members that the rest of the user base votes on?

Can staff add members automatically to this, rather have members add themselves for the election? For instance, I would like to use this for the User of The Month competition we run. Currently it is a topic we use and then the top nominations are added to a poll and then voted upon.

I would like to use the election system for this, in fact I purchased it reading that it would do this (my own fault) - is this possible? Adding something into the ACP that allows staff to add members that the rest of the user base votes on?

not at this moment, they can on only be registered from public side.

to do that from acp ill have to check when i have time i am just to busy at this moment with custom work.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...