Downloads limit - feature request for 4.0.x line

RPG-support

You can minimize your company loss by adding the feature of limiting the number of available downloads for the particular product. For example, if customer purchased IP.Board 4.0.1, he is able to download it 3 times.

And this function will be useful for IP.Downloads+IP.Nexus for paid files.

This would invalidate the whole reason I keep my license active(hint, it's not for ticket support, it is for access to updates for my demo/to develop against). Nor would I wish to force this upon my clients in the Marketplace. This does not minimize losses, it only takes one download to pirate it.

Your understanding is not on the level of the whole situation. I will not spend my time explaining the situation in details. I will tell you just some hints for you or the owner of the IPS.

1. Limiting of number of downloads is the general practice for the particular version of the product (ex. 3 downloads for the IP.Boarв 4.0.1, 3 downloads for the IP.Board 4.0.2, etc.).

2. This is not violating the licence the cuistomer purchased.

3. Limiting the number of downloads will help the Marketplace contributors is case they are selling the paid files. There are always some bad evel users who can distribute their login and password from their accounts in your sustem to others and using this accounts other people can download your products and Marketplace products. There are also viruses which can steal the users' account details. With your present system of security you can not control this.

PS. 1-3 downloads is generally enouth for the good customers.
PSS. At least I want to demand this option for IP.Downloads+IP.Nexus for paid files.

Limiting the number of downloads will help the Marketplace contributors is case they are selling the paid files. There are always some bad evel users who can distribute their login and password from their accounts in your system to others and using this accounts other people can download your products and Marketplace products.

So instead, they simply download and distribute it. What exact benefit does this provide beyond a witch-hunt? Upon discovery, such users are summarily dealt with anyway.

I may issue a soft-update to a file requiring no upgrade, not incrementing the version number to resolve a critical issue discovered post-release, noting this in the changelog. You would deny clients this fix with this setup.

Archived