[Super popular feature request] Suite feed activity

LaCollision

It's not to copy Facebook. It's Facebook like.

It's just to forget the main filter content type and give all the content specially delivered to a specific user under personal profile data.

In deed, we need a better search system for our IPS. A better way to display content that will please the visitor.

It hasn't to be the same as Facebook, but the principles that become popular and adored should be adopted and even made better.

I've written a great feature request about the fact that IP.apps are bad at focusing on content but… I can't find it anymore, as search is limited to one year with IP.Board >_<

I don't see a point to a profile news feed or activity feed if there are already mods for this. It would be quite pointless and the side bar has status updates, latest topics files uploaded and gallery images.

As the IPS Social Suite v4 becomes "board independent", this activity stream is actually the best and only homepage possible for the suite.

It cannot be the board index page as it is today, because tomorrow, there will be IPS installations without the board.
The homepage has to be rethinked as a whole. It has to be user-centric: the content has to be pushed to the user. Presenting separated information because there are several IP.apps is irrelevant: this is a technical aspect about which the user doesn't care.
When someone posts a picture on Facebook, it is seamlessly integrated in the user timeline. What if he had to go in a separated app to look at the photo?

Content must not be separated into different areas: everything has to be displayed to the user as a whole.

I totally agree with what CallieJo said:

I would like the same kind of page for members to view content that relates to them on a personal level. Whether it's through the VNC, profile, or a new custom homepage to show the end-users the content that matters to them most, first. Personalization is important. That's what makes SN's like Facebook & Twitter stand out. They give the end-users what they want first...content that's important to them on a personal level.

Forum communities are just that...communities as a whole. So, we get new content as a whole community first. Nothing wrong with getting new content as a whole. But, we should also be able to showcase personal new content as well (your's & your friends' content from all apps).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 100% in favor for this.

I would prefer an IPS made app. Just because I think it can be polished and would like IPS support, but since it's not something in the works I'll probably jump for one of the custom apps.

FACT: New members don't like navigating forums. I can understand that. It's a hassle, especially with multiple apps. Most people like to scroll brainlessly until something catches their eye - just like watching TV. That's the way it works. The way users find new information to interact with currently is far inferior to the vast majority of users. Most of my members have never seen, used, or understand the View New Content button.

If it isn't intuitive within three seconds and one page load, your potential new members are probably going back into their facebook groups to discuss your topic.

Not that I believe we should cater to everyone, but I think it's something that should be thought about in these times. Some communities have different needs, and a feed among other social-y things would broaden the IPS customer base quite a bit I imagine.

edit: Just to be clear, I think users should be able to directly reply to threads on the feed, blog entries, and possibly create new topics from this feed. Expanding divs "See more" to accommodate long content, the option to set the feed as the default community / log-in page, and the whole enchilada. I'll pre-pay for mine. :D

edit: Just to be clear, I think users should be able to directly reply to threads on the feed, blog entries, and possibly create new topics from this feed. Expanding divs "See more" to accommodate long content, the option to set the feed as the default community / log-in page, and the whole enchilada. I'll pre-pay for mine. :D

That would be so cool :smile:

I'd triple pre-pay for that! :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

My Super News Feed mod DOES have that functionality.

Archived