[Super popular feature request] Suite feed activity

LaCollision

Hi there,

Here is a feature request that is, imo, the best thing that could ever happen to IPS Social Suite :)

I'm sorry if someone already posted it, but I can't find a similar feature request.

Today, the Social Suite is built upon several applications that generate activity :

- in the board, topics and posts are posted…

- in the blogs, new entries are written…

- in the gallery, photos are uploaded…

- member statuses are updated…

- new calendar events are created…

- new members are joining

- new content is created in IP.Content…

- and so on…

Today, as IP.Board is the main component of everything, there are some hooks, on the board index page, that display new subjects, new blog entries, etc.

But everything is very "board centered", and a new member in 2013 should not have to search in every IP.app to find new content. Especially when this member is used to Facebook.

==> So, is it possible for you guys at Invision, to build a new feed activity homepage, that would be a "Facebook-like" activity stream?

A page that would be presented like a timeline, with new forum subjects, new blog entries, etc. … and that would be personalized with all the stuff we have subscribed to (topics, blogs, galleries…).

And of course, with a special highlighting for our friends activity (status changes, new friend relationship, new comments…). It would give more sense to the "friend feature" in IP.apps, as of today this feature is not useful at all.

And the icing on the cake would be the possibility for 3rd party apps to be able to insert other things in this activity stream (for instance, in a news website, the ability to insert a news).

The homepage of the Social Suite would be this new activity feed page, and not the current board index page.

What do you think of that?

Thank you for reading! :)

• 2 weeks later...

But I would largely prefer to have a native stream made by IPS… as it is a very fundamental feature.

I would also prefer that IPS will develop its own features. Using addons by nonprofessional php coders from Marketplace is always connected with many problems like security issues, bad coding, php errors, copyright claims (you have to put unlimited 3d party copyrights with links on your site), sudden stop of support, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also prefer that IPS will develop its own features. Using addons by nonprofessional php coders from Marketplace is always connected with many problems like security issues, bad coding, php errors, copyright claims (you have to put unlimited 3d party copyrights with links on your site), sudden stop of support, etc.

Be careful. Some of us professional php coders in the Marketplace might take offense to that statement.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

Could anyone at IPS tell me if such an activity stream is planned for IPS 4?

As this feature is really major for me, I would like to know if I have to start developing it, or if I can wait for the new IPS…

Thanks!

Why would you start developing it when it already exists in the Marketplace? In this thread alone there are 3 different links, each of which has multiple purchases and therefore has been tested by multiple users on multiple environments. I'm not sure why you would reinvent the wheel. :unsure:

Why would you start developing it when it already exists in the Marketplace? In this thread alone there are 3 different links, each of which has multiple purchases and therefore has been tested by multiple users on multiple environments. I'm not sure why you would reinvent the wheel. :unsure:

For sure I'd start with the super news feed, as it can capture all that is happening in the community.

But I think there are a lot more things to add to this stream, in order to make it more friendly and more facebook-like.

The purpose is not to simply display all the activity in the community (XX added you as a friend, YY sent you a PM…).

Facebook goes further than that, by grouping activities by theme and I think IPS could use such an "smart" activity stream like that, since IPS is, by nature, a community software.

For sure I'd start with the super news feed, as it can capture all that is happening in the community.

But I think there are a lot more things to add to this stream, in order to make it more friendly and more facebook-like.

The purpose is not to simply display all the activity in the community (XX added you as a friend, YY sent you a PM…).

Facebook goes further than that, by grouping activities by theme and I think IPS could use such an "smart" activity stream like that, since IPS is, by nature, a community software.

So... the only thing you think is missing is the grouping? Interesting. I've had that request before, but I've never once heard it described as a critical feature. I personally don't think it contributes that much. I mean, yes, it does lessen the number of items you'll see in the feed, but it doesn't really add anything. Just my 2 cents.

So... the only thing you think is missing is the grouping? Interesting. I've had that request before, but I've never once heard it described as a critical feature. I personally don't think it contributes that much. I mean, yes, it does lessen the number of items you'll see in the feed, but it doesn't really add anything. Just my 2 cents.

Pretty similar story here, I've only implemented grouping (via hooks) for one client site so far, no one else has really asked for it.

• 3 months later...

Great idea for 4.0 homepage!!!! A facebook like news feed is much better for the frontpage of IPS 4.0 than the current View New Content. The current news page segregate the content in apps, that's not useful anymore. People look for content, not for content format.

The format should be one filter option, but not the main option.

This idea has been suggested before by others and myself. Maybe not as detailed, but still the same idea.

Here are some of my thoughts I've added before on this idea:

I would like the same kind of page for members to view content that relates to them on a personal level. Whether it's through the VNC, profile, or a new custom homepage to show the end-users the content that matters to them most, first. Personalization is important. That's what makes SN's like Facebook & Twitter stand out. They give the end-users what they want first...content that's important to them on a personal level.

Forum communities are just that...communities as a whole. So, we get new content as a whole community first. Nothing wrong with getting new content as a whole. But, we should also be able to showcase personal new content as well (your's & your friends' content from all apps). Not everyone wants to participate in communities as a whole all the time. Sometimes people just want to know what their friends are up to and who commented on their blog or photos, etc. Forum communities haven't given end-users an easy way to do this over the years (which is shocking to me since it's been requested long before the major SN's developed), so they sign-up for Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and any other new and exciting SN that does.

I've joined all the requests for this from many forum platforms over the years. None have delivered, yet. Normally we get answers like "it would be a resource hog for the little guys' hosting accounts". My answer is usually "but what about those of us who have dedicated servers and really need this?".

Please count my vote once again...maybe we will see something like this someday.

This idea could also be included in a new Personalized User Entrance Page. Show the new users what they can or should do next. Then show current end users the content that matters to them on a personal level.

This idea has been suggested not only on IPB, but also on VB years ago (before twit, fb, ms, etc) and even on XF when they started. It's not a new idea. Unfortunately, social networks have run with this very idea and made it popular for them. So sad....since the concept was talked about in forums for forum communities. Yet people think we all want to copy what they do. When, in fact, we have been trying to give end-users what's most important to them for years....content that matters to them most first and custom personalization to make them feel at home.

Great idea for 4.0 homepage!!!! A facebook like news feed is much better for the frontpage of IPS 4.0 than the current View New Content. The current news page segregate the content in apps, that's not useful anymore. People look for content, not for content format.

The format should be one filter option, but not the main option.

No offence intended here, but Facebook already exists, why reinvent it?

I guess what I'm really trying to say is. Why must we turn everything in to a Facebook copy?

It's not to copy Facebook. It's Facebook like.

It's just to forget the main filter content type and give all the content specially delivered to a specific user under personal profile data.

In deed, we need a better search system for our IPS. A better way to display content that will please the visitor.

It hasn't to be the same as Facebook, but the principles that become popular and adored should be adopted and even made better.

Archived