Marketplace access to prevent piracy...

BomAleold

Is possible for future release 4.0 to avoid the piracy of ips products? How? Reply to this if you have a suggestion.

I am waiting to see a method to sync my hooks apps installed (into specific panel client area) and know if that are to update by to marketplace.

To install a product must be required to insert a key for each, offered by a generator (exemple collected by generator of license ips)
And for each key limits is to 5 ips above this you have a "warning notice" and banned of account ips

Or developing a system of exporting apps or/and hooks that include a generation of a key to make working it with limits previous quoted...
By making sure to record all new installations and in case you are the developer to manage the marketplace from the register of the installations by means of the key (displaying also the ips or counter[for privacy] used for each)

Do install keys deter pirates? Stopping piracy is impossible.. and a lot of really smart folks have spent MASSIVE amounts of money to try and fail.. it's better to focus on making a great product that people are willing to pay for to get upgrades. The only other way to stop piracy is to offer services that others use on your own server.

• 4 weeks later...

They are many steps to reduce piracy.

As you say it's impossible to stop it at all, as they do for IPS products, they reverse the license verification engine.

I'am agree with BomAle too, you can slow down piracy, for exemple by using IonCube or Zend encoding engine.

But, it will be difficult to mod these products, it's a choice.

They are many steps to reduce piracy.

As you say it's impossible to stop it at all, as they do for IPS products, they reverse the license verification engine.

I'am agree with BomAle too, you can slow down piracy, for exemple by using IonCube or Zend encoding engine.

But, it will be difficult to mod these products, it's a choice.

Yes, doing those are things we as developers can do to our products to help reduce piracy. But customers hate that. It gives them extra hoops they need to jump through to install such products, as they need to ensure their server has the capacity to run such encoded scripts. If it is encoded to protect some licensing system that runs a call back to the developer's site and that developer's site is down then the user is stuck and can't complete the installation process. And lots of customers are just downright distrustful of installing something that gives them no way to tinker with the code or check for malicious code.

Piracy sucks, but it's inevitable. It's better to make products that are as user-friendly as possible for all legitimate clients and accept that some people are just never going to use them legitimately, rather than make them hard for everyone to use.

DRM for IPS products? I can tell you, just from personal experience with purchasing software, movies and music, that DRM does not work. It just encourages warez pirates to find ways to crack them and 99% of the time, they do. Don't take this as meaning that I support piracy or pirated content, only that DRM does nothing more than annoy those who purchase your product. Not only that, but DRM, or what's known as 'destructive restrictions on merchandise', an appropriate acronym if there ever was one, oonly serves to restrict your consumers from using your product, it does nothing to protect the IP of anyone creating that product.

Piracy and warez will always exist. What developers should do is release beta or test version through file sharing sites and see if there are any willing to pay for such an item. That strategy has worked well for various bands and music artists, who have broken off from the major band labels. Matter of fact, I would suggest checking out such sites as Techdirt.com, Torrentfreak.com (this is a new sites, not a torrent site), Arstechnica.com and various other such sites. They routinely report on how those in the music industry have made more money taking their work directly to the fans, distributing watered down versions of their content and they have gotten great results, where the major music labels have failed to grasp these new technologies and rely too heavily on old outdated business models.

Archived