Community

[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Zhana

Disposable/temp email addresses

A user with a fake address is basically an anonymous, unreachable user. He can do whatever he wants on my site, not fearing any consequences. “When you have problems” with such users, as you put it, it’s already too late. The damage is done. I rather prevent that. Not an ego issue at all. It’s just good business. I own that website and are basically responsible for everything, including stuff users do. I RISK something to offer a service. The least a user can do is respect some basic rules and be HONEST. If he doesn’t want that he has the freedom not to use my site in the first place. I don’t force anyone to use my site. I just make an offer. Just like with any other sale or service you can get anywhere else. 

By the way: I also don’t think your personal reason is pretty convincing. If you are so afraid to use your main address, then get several other real ones and forward them to your main account. If one gets compromised, drop it then. That’s basically the same argument you are using the other way around. Give the site owner some credit “until there’s reason not to”. 

It's not exactly lying to the site owner. They're registering to a site that asked for an email to be inputed into a field and they did.

Having to create an email address and making it forward would be "fake" and temporary. Someone doesn't have to be afraid to want to use such sites, as they could just value privacy or think it's just wise. 

Edited by Jυra

It's not exactly lying to the site owner.

It certainly is on my site, where I put a clear note right below the email address field and warn about the consequences. 

They're registering to a site that asked for an email to be inputed into a field and they did.​

Seriously?

If you check in a hotel you register as John or Jane Doe and then say: Oh, that is correct! I didn’t lie! I filled the field with a name, just as requested!

But they're not checking into a hotel with a name...​

But the same principles apply. You are a person requesting a service – and the provider of that service can request some real contact information – in case you trash the hotel room, leave without paying or something like that. In a online forum you can insult people, commit copyright infringements and whatnot. If you want the service, you can be required to bear some responsibility for your actions and leave some real information about yourself and where to contact you. Just an email address without a full name or a full address is already very little to ask. You can’t hide from anyone online but still expect that everyone provides you with any service you want. That isn’t “wise” as you say, it’s just selfish. 

@mdmx I am reluctant to only allow whitelisted email domains like that, as we also target international visitors there is no way I have knowledge of every legitimate email domain.

We need a better way to target these  DEAs but it seems more and more just keep appearing at an unstoppable pace.

Edited by Optic14

I came across this free service called Check Mail which is limited to 1000 requests a month under the free plan. They offer JS, PHP and CURL integrations but I am not proficient in how IPB works enough to add the PHP method. Can someone please help?

https://market.mashape.com/Top-Rated/e-mail-check-invalid-or-disposable-domain

https://check-mail.org/

Endpoint Definition

GET:

https://mailcheck.p.mashape.com/

Request Example

// These code snippets use an open-source library. http://unirest.io/php
$response = Unirest\Request::get("https://mailcheck.p.mashape.com/?disable_test_connection=true&domain=mailinator.com",
  array(
    "X-Mashape-Key" => "YOURKEYHERE",
    "Accept" => "application/json"
  )
);

Response Body

mailcheck model

{
  "valid": true,
  "block": true,
  "disposable": true,
  "domain": "mailinator.com",
  "text": "Disposable e-mail",
  "reason": "Blacklist",
  "mx_host": "mail.mailinator.com",
  "mx_info": "Using MX pointer mail.mailinator.com from DNS with priority: 10",
  "mx_ip": "23.239.11.30"
}

Edited by Republic of Chan

I found an add-on in the marketplace that may help reduce proxy/VPN/TOR registrations by filtering through IP Intelligence API, not directly related to disposable emails but should help.

HOWEVER, I am still waiting for confirmation from the author if it is compatible with 4.3. There is no support topic for this resource.