Suggestions for improving mail with IP.Board

Makoto

I thought I might try and establish a thread for various suggestions on possible improvements when dealing with e-mail on IP.Board.

The first suggestion I've seen made here many times. It's a reasonable one, one I feel could make the life of many system administrators easier. Every time I've had to deal with the appeal process of an e-mail provider, one of the questions they always ask me is how I deal with bounced messages. I have to skim around this question a bit, because I simply have no real way to efficiently deal with them. So, on to the suggestion..

1) Offer some type of functionality to deal with bounced e-mails. IP.Board already has a way to catch e-mails via POP3, so this doesn't seem like an unfeasible request. If a set number of e-mails sent to a user are bounced, at the very least, the system could recognize there is a problem with the address and stop sending messages to them. The administrator can be made aware of this in the ACP somehow, and the user could even possibly be prompted (or required at the administrators discretion) to update their e-mail address when logging in.

2) This is more just a random idea I had a few minutes ago. Instead of requiring e-mail validation to activate a users account, let them log in immediately after registration and instantly start using their account (versus when e-mail validation is enabled and they're still left lingering the forum as a guest), but require e-mail validation to activate the accounts e-mail notifications. This is a half-way between no validation and basic e-mail validation. Letting the user log in immediately without needing to immediately stop what they're doing and check their inbox for a validation link can be really nice for the said end-user.

Have any suggestions you'd like to add? Please feel free to post them here!

1) I like that idea...

2) That's already allowed. When users register, but before they validate, they are put into the 'Validating' group. Just give that group the permissions you like and the newly registered user can do what you allow them to do in the interim step before they complete the e-mail validation.

2) That's already allowed. When users register, but before they validate, they are put into the 'Validating' group. Just give that group the permissions you like and the newly registered user can do what you allow them to do in the interim step.

It mostly is, you're right. Is there any easy way to have IP.Board still automatically log the user in after registration when e-mail validation is required? Also, do validating members still receive e-mail notifications from the site?

Currently there isn't an option to automatically log users in after registration...
I would imagine they would receive notifications just like any other. It's a member group like any other, the only difference being accounts in this group aren't meant to stay in the group... It is essentially an approve or purge queue. I've not tested notifications, though.

Archived