Feature Request: Hide post from anyone but the author

opentype

Hiding/deleting posts is always a tricky issue. It's necessary, but it can create new discussions, because the users who's posts got hidden can get pretty mad.

On Facebook Pages this is solved quite nicely. If you hide a post, no one will see it anymore BUT the author. So provoking posts will not cause any trouble, but the author won't get mad, because he/she will still see the post.

This might be a nice option to have on IP.Board as well.

that's the so called "invisible ban"

banned user will see own posts/threads, but no one else (except admins/mods, who will have a great lough)

it's great... until the person logs out and checks why no one is ever answering... because he is the only one who can see his posts ;)

I'm interested into that too.... for the great fun :]

Many users never log out, though.

Reddit has a really well designed "shadow ban" and it's good enough for casual users to never notice. Only thing that tipped me off was how my up/down votes never were saved when I revisit the site. It's really unethical and to this day I don't know what I said or did. For all I know I may say or do something for it to happen again.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Just to clarify again, since I started this topic: I did NOT suggest to shadow ban members, so their future posts all get hidden. I do not like this functionality at all. 

What I suggested was an option to shadow ban specific posts (which have already been written) as an alternative to hiding/deleting them. 

16 hours ago, opentype said:

shadow ban specific posts

...which, again, is still a great suggestion, which I do support.

I highly doubt that this will ever make it into the 4.x series, but I am pretty sure version 5 is already being worked on - at least planning/gathering concepts. So it cannot hurt to renew the general interest in seeing additional moderation features being implemented in the software.