IPB vs Facebook

HighlanderX

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that, generally speaking, Facebook is about the users; communities are about engaging users with content. If your community is a gaming clan site with nothing more than  user to user banter, your users are likely going to be more drawn to Facebook. If, on the other hand, your site is topic and content driven, communities are very relevant and I've not seen any such site fail to Facebook. 

Ideally, you will harness the power of both mediums together. 

​I wish I could agree with that. :(

I have seen members leave my site to create multiple individual FB groups based on my specific forums.

It is not for a lack of content or engagement on my site that is driving the migration over to FB. I believe this is due primarily to three things:

1. Ease of use - it's easier to post pictures and links on FB
2. Mobile - it's easier to access FB on mobile
3. Laziness - members are too lazy to post or reply with more than a sentence or two

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE IPS. I have been a user/admin forever! I am very loyal to the platform and I really hope that 4.0 will allow me to address points 1-3.

Thank you for all your hard work! I know what goes into developing software applications and appreciate all that you do! :) 

​I wish I could agree with that. :(

I have seen members leave my site to create multiple individual FB groups based on my specific forums.

It is not for a lack of content or engagement on my site that is driving the migration over to FB. I believe this is due primarily to three things:

3. Laziness - members are too lazy to post or reply with more than a sentence or two

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE IPS. I have been a user/admin forever! I am very loyal to the platform and I really hope that 4.0 will allow me to address points 1-3.

Thank you for all your hard work! I know what goes into developing software applications and appreciate all that you do! :) 

​Totally I agree with you Michael

I believe this is due primarily to three things:

​I can’t speak for everybody, but it doesn’t convince me that these are “primary” reasons. It’s not about how it works, it’s about what it is. Our IPS communities are isolated websites. FB is something very different. It’s a real online platform where everything comes together. All your friends, all their pictures, all those news and entertaining links, chat/email, tens of thousands of pages and groups …

An IPS community can’t compete with that. Even if the mobile experience and the upload functionalities would be identical – you would still loose those members, because they don’t go because of those features. They go because of what Facebook has to offer as a the world’s biggest social platform with 1 Billion people.  

​I can’t speak for everybody, but it doesn’t convince me that these are “primary” reasons. It’s not about how it works, it’s about what it is. Our IPS communities are isolated websites. FB is something very different. It’s a real online platform where everything comes together. All your friends, all their pictures, all those news and entertaining links, chat/email, tens of thousands of pages and groups …

An IPS community can’t compete with that. Even if the mobile experience and the upload functionalities would be identical – you would still loose those members, because they don’t go because of those features. They go because of what Facebook has to offer as a the world’s biggest social platform with 1 Billion people.  

​actually what you said is not logical and didn't convince me at all . and what is the mean of " our IPB communities is isolated website and FB something different" ?!!!

you are calling FB as a real online platform so what I can call the communities using IPB?,  is it a fake online platform ?!!

also this is good that you are agreeing with me in a fact of  being IPB community can't compete with FB so I think this will lead us to two possible consequences

1- we have to close our websites because we are not a real online platform and we can not compete with the most famous social media platform like FB

2- or the integration with the most "real online platform" as you are calling becoming  a necessity so IPS must take care about this in the future and must expand the current features if it is possible before issuing the final version 4

As I wrote before the solution of those issues simply in one word "Integration"

you are calling FB as a real online platform so what I can call the communities using IPB?,  is it a fake online platform ?!!

I already explained that. My website is just a “site”. An URL you go to in your browser. A “platform”, in the way i meant it, is much more. It’s a “digital hub” where, in the case of Facebook, a billion people and hundreds of thousands of businesses come together or connect through APIs. Surely everyone can see that there is a big difference between this “platform” and a stand-alone IPS “site” and that there is no way that the latter can directly compete with the other in the game of being that platform. 

​actually what you said is not logical

What specifically?​ Say what is not logical and why, so me and everyone else can compare and consider the arguments. Otherwise its a dishonest way of arguing. You put me down for being “not logical”, but since you not saying where exactly, you don’t even give me a chance to clear my name and maybe prove that my arguments might indeed be valid.    

1- we have to close our websites because we are not a real online platform and we can not compete with the most famous social media platform like FB

2- or the integration with the most "real online platform"

I already gave a third option: Put unique content and/or services on your site! That golden rule doesn’t even have anything to do specifically with Facebook. It’s how the web works in general. It you only offer, what other sites, with maybe much bigger communities, offer – why should someone visit your site and come back? 

Integration per se doesn’t solve anything. Why should that make a difference? You are just throwing that word around but I haven’t heard any convincing arguments how that would actually change the user behavior and make them more willing to keep interacting with our sites. Please give some examples of how you think that integration should work and what the positive effect would be. 

As I said before: I even see a negative effect in more integration: When I let my users post all their stuff to Facebook in an easy way, I actually help them to move over there and never come back to my site. 

I already explained that. My website is just a “site”. An URL you go to in your browser. A “platform”, in the way i meant it, is much more. It’s a “digital hub” where, in the case of Facebook, a billion people and hundreds of thousands of businesses come together or connect through APIs. Surely everyone can see that there is a big difference between this “platform” and a stand-alone IPS “site” and that there is no way that the latter can directly compete with the other in the game of being that platform. 

From the user perspective I do believe that they don't care if it is a website or platform because both of them (FB or IPB) revolve around the same idea which is users communication or community communication so let us don't argue regarding this point because the end users really don't care about those terminologies

I already gave a third option: Put unique content and/or services on your site! That golden rule doesn’t even have anything to do specifically with Facebook. It’s how the web works in general. It you only offer, what other sites, with maybe much bigger communities, offer – why should someone visit your site and come back? 

​what you are giving is not an option for any of us because it is constant and standard that must be applied in any website so the unique contents must be exist in any case and actually it does in our websites and guess what , despite of the unique contents that we have the end users keep moving to the social media and prefer to post their contribution there. Actually now a days they prefer to use social media compared to IPB because FB has any content about anything and also it consider a very effective way of communication between the end users ( I'll not mentioning the professional social media or other social media like twittery or Google plus )

Integration per se doesn’t solve anything. Why should that make a difference? You are just throwing that word around but I haven’t heard any convincing arguments how that would actually change the user behavior and make them more willing to keep interacting with our sites. Please give some examples of how you think that integration should work and what the positive effect would be. 

​I'm not agreeing with your opinion, I do believe that the integration will solve a lot of issues and I'm not throwing the word of integration as you mentioned I'm expression my opinion and my opinion is, we can convince the end users if our website has the possibility of posting process like this

----- IPB post -----------> FB (Social Media Account)

this means when you are making a post in our community you will find it in your Facebook (wall, group, page)  regardless if this post short or long , having meaningful sentences or not, so the user will not have to post twice the same topic or post  (one in my website and the other in his social media account )

the above option is an example and it does exist partially in the current versions ( in the current versions I can open new topic and I can select to post a summary link in my Facebook wall if my Facebook account configured )

so the above described operation I consider it as an integration or (Partial integration ) with Facebook  

now if more integration exist by making the users able to post from our websites one topic and find its complete contents as it is in their (Wall, Group, Page) this means I can convince the end users easily to post (any accounting or auditing topics in my case ) in my website and they don't have to go and post it again int their social media account

They will have double value here by getting a comments from my specialized community like my website and from their community (connections ) in the social media

there are more benefits of the above and those benefits will vary from one user to the other and example of this, some users prefer to keep copy from the contents they contribute in other other websites in their (wall, group, page) so they can return to it easily anytime they want

Finally if I'm telling the end user " post in my website and you will find it as it is in the most famous social media " I'm sure the end user interaction will be double increased

As I said before: I even see a negative effect in more integration: When I let my users post all their stuff to Facebook in an easy way, I actually help them to move over there and never come back to my site. 

​I think this is the real reason behind your resistance against the idea of make your end users able to post their stuff to Facebook, " simply you don't want them get this in an easy way and you afraid they move and never come back to your website again"  

first of all we have to distinguish between the communities built on the contributions of all the end users of the community and the communities built on the only contribution of management of the community

in my community for example I'm encouraging the end users to open new topics ( articles or questions ) and this consider the main source of contents that I have so I believe that whatever contributed by my end users in my website still belong to them and they can publish anywhere they like and actually they have the full right to get it anytime in any possible output mean. That is why I keep defend the idea of getting more integration with the other social media because I consider this as a right of my end users and also this will enhance the trust in my website and of course the end user always will feel that we are moving with the wave, not against it so if you are keep your strategy to harden the ways that your users will have the ability to post their contributions to their social media accounts I can promise you your website will be vanished within 5 years ( this is in the case of communities built on the contributions of the end users),

Finally if you are afraid about expanding the integration with the social media I think IPS can design options in the admin control panel to make you able to deactivate the sharing options with the external social media, so you don't have to say no I don't want expanding the integration and instead of this you will say yes I want but with an option making me able to deactivate it anytime I want

Going forward, forums are just going to have to work, or we'll go the way of the dinosaur because we'll be the old platform that wouldn't change to keep up with the new media trends. 

Why?

Because people have more choices for easy to use social media, like Facebook and Facebook groups. They don't have to do any workarounds to post anything like photos and videos. 

Gone are the days of forums being the only social media around and people having to learn how to use all the tags, workarounds for sharing photos and video, etc.

For instance, for photos, having to work to upload pics to a host via creating an account with a picture host, uploading pics, title, tag, process, copy the image link, and then come back to the forum and insert the link in img tags.

The same for video, having to go register a youtube or vimeo account, fill in titles, tags, description, etc., wait for it to process, copy the link, come back to the forum, post it in the thread with video tags, etc.

It's going to have to get done automatically like Facebook. Sorry, but that is where social media is going and forums need to get more like that in easy to use sharing photos and video, etc. 

I know the issues with video, but Tapatalk I believe has found a way to solve that. I think IP.Board should strike up a deal like Tapatalk so that we can have a way for folks to directly upload video from their smartphones, tablets, or PC's to the forum through a third party like YouTube or Vimeo.

Just upload tapatalk and post a video to your forum and you'll see what i mean, It's as easy as Facebook, but just takes a bit longer because it has to process. 

so let us don't argue regarding this point because the end users really don't care about those terminologies

I described the obvious differences between those online communities and used certain terms within my description. I never said those terms are relevant to the users. That’s just silly. I will stop engaging in discussions with you. You misunderstand every sentence I wrote. There will never be any fruitful discussion about the actual points, if you don’t get the points in the first place.  

Just upload tapatalk and post a video to your forum and you'll see what i mean, It's as easy as Facebook, but just takes a bit longer because it has to process. 

​Instead of asking us to install Tapatalk, can you maybe describe what they are doing? Where does the video get uploaded? And the whose account?

I described the obvious differences between those online communities and used certain terms within my description. I never said those terms are relevant to the users. That’s just silly. I will stop engaging in discussions with you. You misunderstand every sentence I wrote. There will never be any fruitful discussion about the actual points, if you don’t get the points in the first place.  

Sorry for writing this, but if you have a real conviction for what you are writing regarding the subject of this topic then you will continue in the discussion and you will not write that I'm misunderstanding you or writing a words like That’s just silly

I do appreciate all the users facing the reality and the reality here as somebody mentioned before " we are going to be like dinosaurs compared to the social media if IPS will not adjust their long-term strategies related to the social media networks"

Sorry for writing this, but if you have a real conviction for what you are writing regarding the subject of this topic then you will continue in the discussion and you will not write that I'm misunderstanding you or writing a words like That’s just silly

And once more you misrepresent what i said. Of course I will continue to discuss in this and similar topics. I just wont waste my time anymore, writing long posts explaining my point to you specifically, if you won’t get it anyway.  

I do appreciate all the users facing the reality and the reality here …

​Just because people don’t agree with your opinion on this topic, doesn’t mean they are not able or willing to “face the reality”. Your argument here falls under the false dilemma fallacy.  

And once more you misrepresent what i said. Of course I will continue to discuss in this and similar topics. I just wont waste my time anymore, writing long posts explaining my point to you specifically, if you won’t get it anyway.  

​Just because people don’t agree with your opinion on this topic, doesn’t mean they are not able or willing to “face the reality”. Your argument here falls under the false dilemma fallacy.  

​No comment because this is out of the topic we are discussing

​Instead of asking us to install Tapatalk, can you maybe describe what they are doing? Where does the video get uploaded? And the whose account?

​They struck a deal with Vimeo and now all video posted via Tapatalk immediately uploads to a Tapatalk Vimeo account and is posted to the forum automatically. 

​actually what you said is not logical and didn't convince me at all

​I'm sorry, I couldn't read the rest of the conversation after this.

What @opentype is saying is that no matter the features/functions each website has, Facebook has the userbase ALREADY there. It has your friends, your mom, your cousins, etc... I don't know about you but I don't have 1 billion people on my site, I don't think the largest forum in the world (regardless of softeare) has that much. This is very much why Google lost to Facebook. The number one reason why I don't use Google+ is that my friends aren't there and actively using it.

The way that you combat this issue of "users already there" is you create unique content/features that will make users want to come over. Yes, functionality and making the user interface easy to use is important but if users are really interested in the content and conversation they will even use something that is broken.

The #1 reason FB excels is because people are there. If you can get people to your site and like it, then it will be the same thing.

​I'm not agreeing with your opinion, I do believe that the integration will solve a lot of issues and I'm not throwing the word of integration as you mentioned I'm expression my opinion and my opinion is, we can convince the end users if our website has the possibility of posting process like this

----- IPB post -----------> FB (Social Media Account)

this means when you are making a post in our community you will find it in your Facebook (wall, group, page)  regardless if this post short or long , having meaningful sentences or not, so the user will not have to post twice the same topic or post  (one in my website and the other in his social media account )

the above option is an example and it does exist partially in the current versions ( in the current versions I can open new topic and I can select to post a summary link in my Facebook wall if my Facebook account configured )

so the above described operation I consider it as an integration or (Partial integration ) with Facebook  

now if more integration exist by making the users able to post from our websites one topic and find its complete contents as it is in their (Wall, Group, Page) this means I can convince the end users easily to post (any accounting or auditing topics in my case ) in my website and they don't have to go and post it again int their social media account

They will have double value here by getting a comments from my specialized community like my website and from their community (connections ) in the social media

there are more benefits of the above and those benefits will vary from one user to the other and example of this, some users prefer to keep copy from the contents they contribute in other other websites in their (wall, group, page) so they can return to it easily anytime they want

Finally if I'm telling the end user " post in my website and you will find it as it is in the most famous social media " I'm sure the end user interaction will be double increased

I'm not touching this again as I already expressed my opinion but if you think this is the way of the future, hire a developer and get it done! Then come back and laugh in all our faces if you have 1 billion users happily using it. Quit trying to say we're "not facing reality" when it is you.

The advantage of your community is it isn't full of leagues of ignorant abusive people, nor repost repost repost repost repost repost repost repost repost repost and you don't have a The Brussels Sprout Worshipers page. You probably don't have 20,000 friends on your forum either, or 20 random men/girls a day asking to hookup. Lets not forget the modified news stories encourages hater priming... because lets face it, news that is valid and unbiased? THATS OLD NEWS!... we want stuff that ruffles people, we want the best click bait ever... we need to whirl up a storm! ... how else are we going to compete with the 2 million self professed news reporters?

If you don't share this post with the 10 people, you will die tonight by some stupid ghost I made up to get you to spam.

Don't forget to save people lives and feelings by clicking like, sharing no-makeup selfies and sharing this other photo!!!!

jackson-im-just-here-to-read-the-comment

Also we're having a competition, whoever is the 1 millionth sharer of this post wins a can of tuna.

Plus where else are you going to show off your cleavage hashtag empowerment? or your 6 pack hashtag gains? for those 200 likes.

The day FB is overtaken by another network (which will happen) is a day many joyous tears will be shed around the world right before they realize the network replacing it has all the same problems. Humans just can't help it, they gotta ruin everything they touch.

Wait what were we talking about? Communities are threatened by all the above? If your forum is, my guess is you're running a "general chat" forum.

EDIT: Forgot to tag all my friends.

I'm not touching this again as I already expressed my opinion but if you think this is the way of the future, hire a developer and get it done! Then come back and laugh in all our faces if you have 1 billion users happily using it. Quit trying to say we're "not facing reality" when it is you.

​Nobody here told you to touch it or to leave, because simply what I'm trying to do is to express my opinion and really you don't have to comment to what I'm writing here

the second point I'm not consulting you to tell me what is the way to get the suggested features that I believe it should be available in IPB, so I'm as a client have the full right to express my opinion which you  and Opentyp are not accepting and this is something I personally respect and in return I will expect the full respect for my opinions and thoughts too, so please don't tell me to hire a developer because this forum is named " Suggestions and Ideas" , if every suggestion and every idea will be faced in such a behaviors and reply  that you are keep writing here then it is recommend the IPS management change this forum name to "  Suggest your Idea and we will find someone to answer you go and hire a developer " :rofl:

what you probably do not know or you maybe know but you forgot, this forum consider as a thoughts bank for the IPS management, I guess they are following and they are discussing and they are planning the new recommended features arising from the discussions running in it, so if you are keeping reply any discussion in that way I can tell you IPS will lose the brains giving such a thoughts and ideas

Finally let me write to you what I wrote to Opentype  previously

"If you are afraid about expanding the integration with the social media I think IPS can design options in the admin control panel to make you able to deactivate the sharing options with the external social media, so you don't have to say no I don't want expanding the integration and instead of this you will say yes I want but with an option can make me able to deactivate it anytime I want"

what you probably do not know or you maybe know but you forgot, this forum consider as a thoughts bank for the IPS management, I guess they are following and they are discussing and they are planning the new recommended features arising from the discussions running in it, so if you are keeping reply any discussion in that way I can tell you IPS will lose the brains giving such a thoughts and ideas

​*giggles*

Sir, I see you're trying hard to be kind in this matter however, your opinion is of the same worth as anyone else'. Therefore it is kinda insulting to the IPS team that you think they would not have the brain capacity to consider any opinion other than YOUR opinion.

​*giggles*
Sir, I see you're trying hard to be kind in this matter however, your opinion is of the same worth as anyone else'. Therefore it is kinda insulting to the IPS team that you think they would not have the brain capacity to consider any opinion other than YOUR opinion.

I think IPS doing very well and I like their style of work, but in the world of business the clients feedback is very important specially in the field of information technology developing and the most successful companies always hiring the researchers to know what are the needs of the clients and what is the effect of the competition in their produced commodities or services and study the market  offer and demand to know how it will reflected on their commodities or services

so I consider this strategy is a very good strategy and opening a forum named " Suggestions and Ideas "  is very brilliant idea and of course any organization need this

but in the other hand if you will find somebody every time you are writing your ideas and thoughts keep reply to go and hire a developer to add what you want , this will make anybody here frustrated because this is not a support or troubleshoot forum , it is a suggestions and Ideas forum

​Nobody here told you to touch it or to leave, because simply what I'm trying to do is to express my opinion and really you don't have to comment to what I'm writing here

the second point I'm not consulting you to tell me what is the way to get the suggested features that I believe it should be available in IPB, so I'm as a client have the full right to express my opinion which you  and Opentyp are not accepting and this is something I personally respect and in return I will expect the full respect for my opinions and thoughts too, so please don't tell me to hire a developer because this forum is named " Suggestions and Ideas" , if every suggestion and every idea will be faced in such a behaviors and reply  that you are keep writing here then it is recommend the IPS management change this forum name to "  Suggest your Idea and we will find someone to answer you go and hire a developer " :rofl:

Finally let me write to you what I wrote to Opentype  previously

"If you are afraid about expanding the integration with the social media I think IPS can design options in the admin control panel to make you able to deactivate the sharing options with the external social media, so you don't have to say no I don't want expanding the integration and instead of this you will say yes I want but with an option can make me able to deactivate it anytime I want"

Hate to break it to you bub but just as you have the right to post a suggestion, I have the right to rebuttal it so IPS gets the full picture as of what their clients want and don't want. Like I said before there is no "rise of fans" behind you with this idea, it's been mostly negative which is why I suggest going your own route ;) . Believe it or not I'm trying to help you get what you want. As I don't believe, nor do a lot of fellow IPS users believe this will work so the only way to change this is to enact it and show the populous facts as to why they are wrong. Then maybe IPS will make it part of the default installation if enough clients like those results. Even if your idea made sense and IPS liked it, if the majority of clients don't, guess what? They won't implement it. Like you said it's what the clients' want. I have nearly 20 years of being on both side of the fence, I know what needs to be done ;) 

Hate to break it to you bub but just as you have the right to post a suggestion, I have the right to rebuttal it so IPS gets the full picture as of what their clients want and don't want. Like I said before there is no "rise of fans" behind you with this idea, it's been mostly negative which is why I suggest going your own route ;) .

​Yes I agree with you that you have the right to rebuttal what I'm writing but I don't agree that IPS will consider your personal opinion as a full picture of what their clients want otherwise this will be consider a very big joke and really if they do like this and depend on what you are writing it will be a disaster because you don't have the right to write something in behalf of other clients, you may express your opinion, but for the other clients I don't think that there are a lot of clients appoint to express their opinion,

Like I said before there is no "rise of fans" behind you with this idea, it's been mostly negative which is why I suggest going your own route ;) .

​I don't know man but do you have a counting tool makes you able to decide that there is no rise of fans behind me or this is what you saw in your dreams ?!! , really you made me lough this morning :smile:

I don't think the things going like this with IPS and to be specific I hope they can explain to you and to me too the internal procedures they are applying when they are going to adopt specific strategy in developing or when they are going to add a new feature and let me give you an example for one of the famous techniques used by the business entities to get know the clients preferences which is " Survey " it can be sent to all the clients it will include questions that will help the management to determine the track of development should be applied  and of course the other useful benefit of the survey is avoiding the misleading opinions and give the accurate full picture " not like the full picture you are striving to convince me about"

Believe it or not I'm trying to help you get what you want. As I don't believe, nor do a lot of fellow IPS users believe this will work so the only way to change this is to enact it and show the populous facts as to why they are wrong. Then maybe IPS will make it part of the default installation if enough clients like those results. Even if your idea made sense and IPS liked it, if the majority of clients don't, guess what? They won't implement it. Like you said it's what the clients' want.

​No you are not helping in this way and again when you are writing something don't write on behalf of the others

I have nearly 20 years of being on both side of the fence, I know what needs to be done ;) 

​You may know what needs to be done for your favor or for your interest, but really you don't know what the others need, that is why respect all the opinions written here and always write what you think about and don't write something in behalf of the others.and when you are trying to rebuttal the members posts try to give a reasonable reasons supporting your opinion and don't consider writing or keep repeating  the sentences like " majority of the clients" or " I have nearly 20 years of being on both side of the fence" will be consider a reasonable reasons to rebuttal what fellows writing in this forum   

Finally this is what I believe:

1- IPS don't have to be like any social media and actually it should not be and they must add the unique features that will make them distinctive

2- IPS should expand the integration features with the other social media and enhance the exchange of data between the IPB and different social media platforms with the administrative options to disable or enable this integration

3- IPS should apply the periodic questionnaires or surveys technique to ask the clients what they think about and publish the final results and the basis of the final conclusions so they will have an effective and accredited way to get the clients preferences .

​Yes I agree with you that you have the right to rebuttal what I'm writing but I don't agree that IPS will consider your personal opinion as a full picture of what their clients want otherwise this will be consider a very big joke and really if they do like this and depend on what you are writing it will be a disaster because you don't have the right to write something in behalf of other clients, you may express your opinion, but for the other clients I don't think that there are a lot of clients appoint to express their opinion,

​I don't know man but do you have a counting tool makes you able to decide that there is no rise of fans behind me or this is what you saw in your dreams ?!! , really you made me lough this morning :smile:

No, I can read. I am not writing on behalf of other clients, I am merely stating the facts that nobody has agreed with you on your "findings" on this forum. In fact, more people have agreed with my statements than yours and rebuttal your statements to match what I am saying. Please re-read what is being stated and you'll find this.

I don't think the things going like this with IPS and to be specific I hope they can explain to you and to me too the internal procedures they are applying when they are going to adopt specific strategy in developing or when they are going to add a new feature and let me give you an example for one of the famous techniques used by the business entities to get know the clients preferences which is " Survey " it can be sent to all the clients it will include questions that will help the management to determine the track of development should be applied  and of course the other useful benefit of the survey is avoiding the misleading opinions and give the accurate full picture " not like the full picture you are striving to convince me about"

​No you are not helping in this way and again when you are writing something don't write on behalf of the others

​You may know what needs to be done for your favor or for your interest, but really you don't know what the others need, that is why respect all the opinions written here and always write what you think about and don't write something in behalf of the others.and when you are trying to rebuttal the members posts try to give a reasonable reasons supporting your opinion and don't consider writing or keep repeating  the sentences like " majority of the clients" or " I have nearly 20 years of being on both side of the fence" will be consider a reasonable reasons to rebuttal what fellows writing in this forum   

Thing is, I've done this research before, properly. I know what people want to do with social media due to I've done my homework, it's my job that I do everyday. Not only have I surveyed my users, my clients' users and read multiple papers on this by some of the highest regarded Digital Marketing firms in the world, I've advised a lot companies on websites and how to use social media within their applications. All I'm saying is I have the experience and I know what MOST people want. People want control of what goes to their social media, which again is why I don't think this auto-populate "integration" is very smart. 99.9% of people will stop using your site the second they find out it auto-populates. Also as I've said before, 80+% of social users do not want to share every little thing they do around the internet. You cannot force someone to do your marketing for you on social media against their will. Which is why what IPS has so far is a suitable approach, if a user wants to share something they can ;) 

Surveys are fine of your local community, they till you as the admin what YOUR users want but when they are a small populous you can't guarantee what they want is suitable for all communities and all members within those communities.

You, yourself have even stated that you don't know much about this business and ignoring those who do is fine if you want to do these things to your own website but don't have a tantrum when people disagree to implement this in software we all want to use.

IPS has the right to take feedback, both yours and mine, and toss whatever they don't feel is correct. This has gone on long enough and I've made my point time and time again. If IPS doesn't implement this like I said, don't take it as an insult, if you think this is something your users are "demanding" you can still get it done. I'm not trying to be your enemy, I'm trying to get across the point that not all ideas work on the grand scheme in all situations for all users and IPS has to take that into consideration.

No, I can read. I am not writing on behalf of other clients, I am merely stating the facts that nobody has agreed with you on your "findings" on this forum. In fact, more people have agreed with my statements than yours and rebuttal your statements to match what I am saying. Please re-read what is being stated and you'll find this.

​Is it logical that if there is one or two or even more agree with your statements then you will generalize this to be the opinion of all the clients here ?!!!!! , really illogical and unpractical methodology of thinking

Thing is, I've done this research before, properly. I know what people want to do with social media due to I've done my homework, it's my job that I do everyday. Not only have I surveyed my users, my clients' users and read multiple papers on this by some of the highest regarded Digital Marketing firms in the world,

We are saying "Evidence of the claimed" and you are claiming that you did a researches regarding this topic so ...

If you did your homework as you wrote then can you provide us with a copy of your researches that you did in this regard ? or if you have read some of the highest regarded digital marketing firm papers , can you please provide us with a copy from those papers too ?

I've advised a lot companies on websites and how to use social media within their applications. All I'm saying is I have the experience and I know what MOST people

​Your experience for you not for me and i don't have to follow your thoughts because of reasons I don't care about like " I have experience " or " I know what most people " and I consider using such as this expressions as a kind of guardianship that you are trying all the time impose on the users here

my advice to you only write your opinion and if you are professional and have experience as you are claiming then show us your research papers or even other scientific research papers done in this field

People want control of what goes to their social media, which again is why I don't think this auto-populate "integration" is very smart.

​Who told you that I don't want users be able to control what goes to their social media?, I didn't wrote anything about the users contents will be auto-pupulated without any control and this is not what I meant with the integration

the integration I meant can have some forms like the following:

1- Synchronization of the users status between IPB and social platforms ( it is already exist )

2- Log in or registering using the social platforms account in IPB ( it is already exist )

3- Share the topics links to the social platform wall with a brief summary  ( it is already exist)

4- Share the complete textual contents of the topic or a post  to walls or groups or pages of the social platforms ( not exist - required if the expansion of integration applied) - of course the end user or admins will have the option to activate this or deactivate it according to their needs and according to the nature of the community

99.9% of people will stop using your site the second they find out it auto-populates. Also as I've said before, 80+% of social users do not want to share every little thing they do around the internet. You cannot force someone to do your marketing for you on social media against their will. Which is why what IPS has so far is a suitable approach, if a user wants to share something they can ;) 

​I explained to you the integration that I meant which is summarized in 4 possible features, the first 3 of them already IPS applied and the fourth feature required to expand the integration and believe me the first three features made my end users (195,000 users ) very happy and i'm sure if the fourth feature will exist the users will be very appreciated for this

Regarding the strange percentages you mentioned I consider it untrue and unsupported percentages and in the other hand I'll not force my end users to do my marketing in the social media as you alleged because if the integration expansion exist then it should be optional for them so the end users who want to share a link or content they are free to do it and the end users who don't want to share the link or the content they are free too

Finally I didn't wrote anything like enforcing the end users that I have but contrary to your allegations I want more freedom to my community end users by making them able to publish their contributions to any social platform anytime they want if they are willing to publish it in my website

Surveys are fine of your local community, they till you as the admin what YOUR users want but when they are a small populous you can't guarantee what they want is suitable for all  communities and all members within those communities.

To be more specific, survey must be applied to target two possible categories of users

1- the website owners or the admins or the IPBs

2- the end users of IPBs

So to get a balanced conclusions about any new feature IPS intend to add, they have to survey both categories , because you can't depend only on the websites' owners who afraid their users will escape from their websites to the social media platforms and in this regards I emphasize that the first priority should be for the end user of IPB then the second priority should be for the websites owners or adimins , because we are as a website owners take must take care about the end user preferences more than anything.

IPS has the right to take feedback, both yours and mine, and toss whatever they don't feel is correct. This has gone on long enough and I've made my point time and time again. If IPS doesn't implement this like I said, don't take it as an insult, if you think this is something your users are "demanding" you can still get it done. I'm not trying to be your enemy, I'm trying to get across the point that not all ideas work on the grand scheme in all situations for all users and IPS has to take that into consideration.

​We are here just putting our thoughts on the table of discussion to be analyzed and of course you are not my enemy as you think, I always like to discuss the new and creative ideas and of course I do respect your thoughts but it didn't convince me enough because there is no any reasonable reasons supporting it yet

I noticed that you may misunderstand me about the integration should be expanded but in the other hand I hope the above reply will clear what exactly I meant about the integration

I like the fact that IPS supports the first 3 out of the 4 choices, because it 'links' the board to other social media platforms and funnels members to the IPS platform.  

However, I don't think IPS should pursue the fourth option because it would create a redundancy of information on two different platforms.  That amount of duplication is entirely unnecessary: why cross-over to the IPS platform when the other (and larger, and more popular) platform also contains everything, and more?  I personally think that the smarter strategy for the way IPS integrates with social media is be a 'gateway' back to the IPS side, to attract and entice people, but never to give away full content.  Once you give away the material in its entirety, there's no reason to visit.  

Also, in my particular niche, we measure something called "leakage," which is the percentage of people who leave the website via third-party links.  We consider leakage a bad thing.  We don't want members to go anywhere else, especially that horribly like-able place called Facebook.  Once we get members with our content, we want to retain them as much as possible.  

On a broader note, I do hope IPS will continue to broaden its portfolio of products and recast its platform's intentions to stay timely (while of course maturing its existing product lines that will always be classically useful).  Although the refactoring of the platform with newer coding is nice and probably necessary, the products themselves did not stray too far from their original intention.  I am hopeful that IPS will continue to offer innovative products that match the changing digital landscape and the changing habits of modern users.  

I like the fact that IPS supports the first 3 out of the 4 choices, because it 'links' the board to other social media platforms and funnels members to the IPS platform.  

However, I don't think IPS should pursue the fourth option because it would create a redundancy of information on two different platforms.  That amount of duplication is entirely unnecessary: why cross-over to the IPS platform when the other (and larger, and more popular) platform also contains everything, and more?  I personally think that the smarter strategy for the way IPS integrates with social media is be a 'gateway' back to the IPS side, to attract and entice people, but never to give away full content.  Once you give away the material in its entirety, there's no reason to visit.  

Also, in my particular niche, we measure something called "leakage," which is the percentage of people who leave the website via third-party links.  We consider leakage a bad thing.  We don't want members to go anywhere else, especially that horribly like-able place called Facebook.  Once we get members with our content, we want to retain them as much as possible.  

On a broader note, I do hope IPS will continue to broaden its portfolio of products and recast its platform's intentions to stay timely (while of course maturing its existing product lines that will always be classically useful).  Although the refactoring of the platform with newer coding is nice and probably necessary, the products themselves did not stray too far from their original intention.  I am hopeful that IPS will continue to offer innovative products that match the changing digital landscape and the changing habits of modern users.  

I like the idea and the expression of "Leakage" but do you agree with me that the percentage of leakage increased in the last three years ?

The last years I used to monitor the groups and the pages opened and have the same subject that we are discussing in my community and believe me the end users now can do most of the things can be done in my IPB and add to this the popularity of Facebook then the full picture will be completed

The users now registering in my community because of the contents and files uploaded and the active professional users,  but I don't have trust that this status will be continue as it is in the future, that is why my suggestion is to avoid the leakage by convincing  those end users by telling them "Write it in my community board and share it to your Facebook if you want " 

For the issue of duplication, My opinion is, whatever contents will be shared from our community boards the referral URLs of our website will be mentioned, in the other hand I think not all the users will share their contributions but we have to make this option available for them to enhance their loyalty to our websites otherwise they will be classified as a leakage end users and they will devote their time to Facebook or any similar platform

I have two scenarios related to the leakage end users it may help us comparing:

(Case one) The unavailability of full the textual sharing option : The leakage end users will contribute their contents only in Facebook platform

(Case two) The availability of the full textual sharing option : The leakage end users will contribute their contents via my community board and share it in Facebook platform (text and referral URL to my website )

Now let me ask a question : which case do you prefer specially if you know that you can not avoid the leakage of the end users ?

Finally   harrying up in adoption of case two will enhance the loyalty of our end users to our websites because it is a battle of loyalty and I'm afraid that if we will be late in the adoption of the case two then we will regret forever and even if we will offer sharing the contents from our communities platform then the end users will not care about because their loyalty became to the interest of social platform.

I will not be fanatic to my opinion but if the leakage end users percentage accelerated then we have to prevent this by adopting case two, and if the leakage end users percentage stable or decelerate then it will not be necessary for short-term to adopt case two but I'm sure that it will be important and needed in the long-term, and remember that the battle is all about the time, contribution and loyalty of the end users 

Thank you for your opinion, it is always valuable to read balanced opinions like your opinion

Archived