Mandrill is very cool!

Cheapy

Yeah - when you're not using Mandrill the "sending" is actually sending the emails. When you are, it's sending the data to Mandrill which then sends the emails - in that scenario the sending that you have to sit and wait through is much faster, but the emails aren't sent until a little bit later.

As you use Mandrill more and get a good reputation (your emails aren't marked as spam, etc.) they'll send faster. Mandrill will initially delay new accounts a bit longer to make sure you're not sending loads of spam (which would cause their servers to be blacklisted by ISPs).

If the number of emails you're sending out is large, Mandrill will be much faster overall than the traditional system.

How fast are Mandrill sent? My forum is very time sensitive, I know that usually users get my emails in less than one minute from the time they have been sent - is this the case with Mandrill as well? I have a lot of issues mostly with yahoo and hotmail accounts (gmail work fine), would Mandrill a good solution?

How fast are Mandrill sent? My forum is very time sensitive, I know that usually users get my emails in less than one minute from the time they have been sent - is this the case with Mandrill as well? I have a lot of issues mostly with yahoo and hotmail accounts (gmail work fine), would Mandrill a good solution?

It sends emails almost instantly in my case. I'm using it on my wordpress blog and in IPS. It has solved 99% of my issues with yahoo and hotmail, so this is definitely recommended if you are facing problems with sending emails.

It sends emails almost instantly in my case. I'm using it on my wordpress blog and in IPS. It has solved 99% of my issues with yahoo and hotmail, so this is definitely recommended if you are facing problems with sending emails.

Thanks!

When they say 12,000 first emails are free, how they count it? If for example there are 10 posts per day on topics that are followed by 10 members, it would be considered 100 emails, correct?

Usually I'm a bit skeptical about things that are free.. I mean, 12,000 emails sounds like a decent amount that should be enough for most users, how are they able to make money?

Thanks!

When they say 12,000 first emails are free, how they count it? If for example there are 10 posts per day on topics that are followed by 10 members, it would be considered 100 emails, correct?

Usually I'm a bit skeptical about things that are free.. I mean, 12,000 emails sounds like a decent amount that should be enough for most users, how are they able to make money?

Yes, that would be considered as 100 emails. Mandrill has a counter in the top right corner which shows the total number of emails sent. So as long as you dont go above this limit, you can send 12000 emails without paying a cent. I personally thought that this would be enough for me but apparently my monthly total ended up to be around 20000 so i had to pay a little extra (0.20$ per 1000 emails). Its still pretty awesome though, you can see very detailed stats about your sent emails, delivery rate %age, bounced emails etc.

free to try and disabling is simply a setting in acp, give it a try is really best thing I would say to answer your questions on quota.

iirc if its over the 12k a month some have said mailchimp itself is cheaper but I have not had any experience with that.

Thanks!

Looking at their website, I can see they have a "reputation system" and hourly quota. How does it work? How can I know that my hourly quota will be enough for me?

They'll increase the hourly quota based on your reputation. So if you keep on sending legit emails, they'll automatically increase the quota and you'll be notified via email. My current quota is 5000 emails per hour which is more than enough for me.

They'll increase the hourly quota based on your reputation. So if you keep on sending legit emails, they'll automatically increase the quota and you'll be notified via email. My current quota is 5000 emails per hour which is more than enough for me.

That's encouraging. So if you have no more than 5000 emails per hour, they will be sent instantly? What was the starting quota?

but does Mandrill work with 3.3.4, or only 3.4.x?

If it's in your admin cp, it works with your version. if it's not in your admin cp, upgrade!

should work no matter what, all you are doing is pointing to mandrill smtp server. you can do that w/o having it in ACP just by setting the smtp server in email settings.

A really cool option to have would be the ability to select mandrill for certain functions.

For example. Have Mandrill deliver the registration emails only.

As we all know. A lot of the times emails from our server goes to the client's spam box. Registration is probably the most important email and mandrill will ensure that it gets delivered to the inbox.

I do believe this is something easy to customize and I would be intersted in knowing how I can set madrill up on my ipboard so when a registration email needs to be sent it is sent via mandrill.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't even get Mandrill to work, everything was setup, but kept getting a socket error, called my hosting company and they said they were not blocking port 587 and that they didn't know what to tell me???

Then feel free to submit a ticket to technical support. :)

If your reputation increases you can send over 1 million e-mail in less then an hour , our current hourly e-mail limit is over 1.2 million

Mandrill is very cool, I hated having to setup postfix every time I changed servers or failed over to the backup.

Although this is added expense, I blew through the 12k limit in 3 days :sad:

Damn you IPB *shakes fist* :D

that is nothing compared to us :) Our daily sent e-mail via Mandrill is over 25k :)

Archived