Local IP Address Whitelist That Interfaces With IP Spam Service

Tipem

Hi there,

This past week, our forum had a couple of new accounts that registered from IP addresses that were not in good standing with IP's spam service that integrates with IP.Board. These accounts were automatically banned. We received polite messages from these users, kindly requesting that they be granted access to the forum. False positives, in this particular case.

I greatly enjoy IP's spam service and find it to be a great value. As spam bots continually evolve, so also can IP's spam service, offering protection to a global network of forums.

However, I am suggesting that there be an "IP Address Whitelist" somewhere within IP.Board's local configuration that could override global IP spam service rules. False positives will exist with any kind of blocking/anti-spam software. Adding this kind of configuration would allow more local controls for IP.Board.

Thanks much. I appreciate it.

If the spam service picked up a false positive, it'd be great if you'd let us know the email and IP addresses via a support ticket so that we can see what happened there and stop it happening again. It should only detect actual spammers :)

Beyond that, an IP address whitelist only has much value when you have a lot of registrations from a single IP address. Otherwise, you would only add the address to the whitelist *after* discovering a false positive, by which time adding the IP address to a whitelist would be pointless since the spam service is only queried when the account is created (and it is already created in this case).

Archived