Community

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

View File Category Tabs by IPS Themes Category tabs is a simple hook that will convert all or specific forum categories into a tabular style layout. Clicking a tab will

I already have

I finished setting it up the way I wanted and Tom allowed me to share with you how I've done it. (Please note that I'm not a programmer, so the way I've done it is probably not the most efficient way)

Posted Images

Anyone who is looking to have the tabs equally spread out across the full width of the site can use the CSS below in one of the themeX.css files. This setup worked with theme2.css, I haven't tried it out with any of the other themes included. I would assume that this wouldn't be the best for the Blue or White Wrap selections.

#tabs {
    float: left;
    display: table;
    width: 100%;
    clear: both;
    margin: 15px 0 5px 0; (this puts a little space above / below the tabs so that users can see a separation)
}

#tabs li { 
    display: table-cell;
}

#tabs li a {
    background: #232c35;
    color: #FFF;
    font-size: 1em;
    padding: 14px 20px;
    display: block;
    border-radius: 3px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 3px;
    -moz-border-radius: 3px;
    margin: 0px 5px 5px 0px; (this adds space to the right of each tab and adds a little spacing if the tabs go to two lines)
}

I don't believe this will work in IE7. Most of my users are using the latest browsers.

Tom, your responsive hook doesn't seem to work anymore now that I have Cat tabs installed. Was it working on your development site? I'm using Glare / responsive / tabs. Thanks!

Hmm, it works okay on my dev site. Try removing the jquery call from the categoryTabs skin template and see if that makes a difference. I'll do some testing my end as well.

Great hook!

Two questions. How can I export

• skin_tomchristian
    • tctc91_categoryTabs

from one skin to another, cause somehow it`s not in every skin?

Ande the second question: now tabs appear only in the main forum view and dissapear while you`re in subcategories. Is it possible to show them on every page?

Thanks!

Edited by AndyF
Removed linked image (causing pass popup)

Great hook!

Two questions. How can I export

• skin_tomchristian
    • tctc91_categoryTabs

from one skin to another, cause somehow it`s not in every skin?

Ande the second question: now tabs appear only in the main forum view and dissapear while you`re in subcategories. Is it possible to show them on every page?

Thanks!

Hey,

Thanks! :smile:

It should automatically import into all templates. Try re-caching your skin templates in Look & Feel -> Skin Tools -> Re-cache all

Sub-forum tabs are not possible with how the hook is currently. It's just for categories.

Tom.

Edited by AndyF
Removed quoted image link (causing pass popup)

There is a way to save path of category tab on navigation?

If i navigate on a X tab and i back once he just redirect me to the 1st category tab... i am wondering if there is a way to memorate every tab code and keep until you select another.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean being able to to remember the last visited tab on a page refresh?

Might be worth submitting this as a security issue maybe? Could be used for a phishing attack.

Trouble is it can be accidentally done easily with the RTE as it tries to pull in images etc. Even say something in a signature could do it. Its sort of a browser concern though really as that 'requests' the data and the sending server sends the 'authorise' popup.

It does seem more frequent since 3.2 though and the 'newer' editor compared to older versions as it takes the text complete, if that makes sense.

I was thinking about this and wondered if it would maybe be easier to allow user to use this or not.

by that I mean in their UCP they can enable or disable it, with it disabled they see forum normally.

of course if you wanted to get real fancy allow them to enable it and choose the tabs they want to see :smile:

that would be cool but not sure its feasible.

That's how I plan on doing it :smile:

Cand you please tell us when are you planning to do this?

Just an ideea, can you make a ON/OFF button (like sidebar has) to show the full forum or to be tabbed? It would be much easier for the members to cheese their preferences.

I arranged mine like this and its verry helpfull:

tabbed.png' alt='' class='ipsImage' widt" alt="tabbed.png">

• 2 weeks later...