Invision Community
Tom Christian

Category Tabs by IPS Themes

Category Tabs by IPS Themes

Category tabs is a simple hook that will convert all or specific forum categories into a tabular style layout. Clicking a tab will hide the current category and then instantly load the new one. This hook utilises Javascript to power the switching but also degrades nicely if Javascript is disabled.

Example

8rk23zw.png

Themes

zvbroDl.png

Features [*]Six unique themes to choose from [*]Choose which groups have access to Category tabs. [*]Assign specific categories to tabs.NEW [*]Align the tabs left, right or center.NEW [*]Easily create your own tab themes. [*]Custom style builder via the hook settings.NEW

Coming Soon [*]More themes.

•  

•  

Ohh, I have been hoping something like this would pop up :D. xenforo has a similar add-on, I think called 'Forum List Tabs' or something and I thought it was very neat.

So now its here. I like how you set it up too, some nice buttons and such. I am almost certain I will be buying this soon. One thing I ask if you could add in, skin selector to choose which skin it applies on. As a few skins do not have normal category listing functions (ex. maxx skins), and it would probably throw errors or not work or idk. If you can add that in, you would have my purchase.

Thanks!

Unfortunately this is not working on my site...

Using the Uniform skin from Ehren.. installed the hook, enabled for groups - even recached skins but no dice.

Help? :D

Edit: working on Animate and Shift - just not Uniform. Though it does break both Animate and Shift due to sidebar.

Unfortunately this is not working on my site...

Using the Uniform skin from Ehren.. installed the hook, enabled for groups - even recached skins but no dice.

Help? :D

Edit: working on Animate and Shift - just not Uniform. Though it does break both Animate and Shift due to sidebar.

Strange. Can I see a demo? The hook generates the tabs based upon each category. It then outputs those generated tabs before the board_index class so I'm guessing the skin is missing a hook point.

I currently am using your Luminous theme. Will the color of the tabs change when a member changes the color from the color picker?

No. As this is using custom themes, the styles are based upon the CSS files included with the hook. I'll make all my skins compatible in the next round of updates :)

Ohh, I have been hoping something like this would pop up :D. xenforo has a similar add-on, I think called 'Forum List Tabs' or something and I thought it was very neat.

So now its here. I like how you set it up too, some nice buttons and such. I am almost certain I will be buying this soon. One thing I ask if you could add in, skin selector to choose which skin it applies on. As a few skins do not have normal category listing functions (ex. maxx skins), and it would probably throw errors or not work or idk. If you can add that in, you would have my purchase.

Thanks!

What does the maxx skin categories look like? In theory, this will work fine with any layout as long as the categories are generated in the usual way. Do you have a live site where I can see an example?

Good idea about the per-skin option though. I'll consider it for a future version :)

Yes, correct :smile:

In IPB, they are the categories and the items within the categories are forums.

Aha, that might solve a massive problem for me then with allowing people quick access to different language of the forums. You got a customer!

A few questions if you please...

- is this a theme or just a hook?

- I have 14 categories on one of my sites - would this try and force all of them into tabs?

- any plans for a similar mod for IP.Content?

Thanks in advance!

A few questions if you please...

- is this a theme or just a hook?

- I have 14 categories on one of my sites - would this try and force all of them into tabs?

- any plans for a similar mod for IP.Content?

Thanks in advance!

This is a very simple hook. It has themes built into it to allow for different styles of tabs.

The hook simply hides every category except the first one. It then generates the tabs at the top of the page. Clicking a tab will hide the currently shown category and then simply show the hidden category that matches the tab.

How would you see this working with IP.Content? I don't use IP.Content so any suggestions are welcome :)

Thank you Tom.

I'll buy a copy to test and perhaps use on my busiest site.

IP.Content has the same capability to make Categories but articles rather than posts. That is how I use it on a couple of sites.

So the user could easily switch categories with your tabs mod. Could maybe be done with a hook and a IP.Content block - or maybe just a block?

What does the maxx skin categories look like? In theory, this will work fine with any layout as long as the categories are generated in the usual way. Do you have a live site where I can see an example?

Good idea about the per-skin option though. I'll consider it for a future version :smile:

Hard to explain. Its not just a simple template, which is why I suggested skin selector. It has a table like form, a form that shows the categories big, and regular listing of the cats.

Best for you to experience this first hand so you know what I mean: http://www.ips-skins.com/skinchange.php?id=115 its the devs site, showing the Maxx Light skin. At the bottom right there is a little black tab with screw drivers on it. Click it and at the top of that little box you can choose the different layouts for the forum. Its a really neat system/template. I don't think the category tabs would mix well with it though because of all the different styles.

Thanks for the consideration.

Tom got it installed and it looks great, but.... once I have selected category the buttons are not shown and I need to use the 'home' button to go back the the 'front page'. is this because of my skin? Is there a way to always show the buttons?

Tom got it installed and it looks great, but.... once I have selected category the buttons are not shown and I need to use the 'home' button to go back the the 'front page'. is this because of my skin? Is there a way to always show the buttons?

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It would help massively if I could see a live example.

Tom.

Strange. Can I see a demo? The hook generates the tabs based upon each category. It then outputs those generated tabs before the board_index class so I'm guessing the skin is missing a hook point.

No. As this is using custom themes, the styles are based upon the CSS files included with the hook. I'll make all my skins compatible in the next round of updates :smile:

I could send you a demo but it'd be a little useless as I've temporarily disabled it. I'll PM or skype you the details to the site so you can check :)

This is awesome! Exactly what I always wanted. Can you make this somehow like... compatible with my skin?

OZ19TVr.png' alt='' class='ipsImage' wid" alt="OZ19TVr.png">

Also, can you make this AJAX, so tabs can be clicked without refreshing the whole page?

This is awesome! Exactly what I always wanted. Can you make this somehow like... compatible with my skin?

OZ19TVr.png' alt='' class='ipsImage' wid" alt="OZ19TVr.png">

Also, can you make this AJAX, so tabs can be clicked without refreshing the whole page?

There's no need for AJAX :). My solution is simpler and more efficient. It also doesn't require a page re-load when switching tabs :)

Check the documentation included in the download package, (open readme.html in your browser). It has instructions on how to create or edit a theme. Simply edit the stylesheets included to match your own theme. :)

Tom.

There's no need for AJAX :smile:. My solution is simpler and more efficient. It also doesn't require a page re-load when switching tabs :smile:

Check the documentation included in the download package, (open readme.html in your browser). It has instructions on how to create or edit a theme. Simply edit the stylesheets included to match your own theme. :smile:

Tom.

It did when I clicked around with mine... is there a setting?