A story of a marketplace refund or how I am pushed to the dark side.

jair101

So, here is the story. I purchase a mod from the marketplace, a mod that can integrate IP.Content blocks in a nice tabbed ajax view. So far, so good - the developer is active, popular and supports his mods, the demo looks impressive. Unfortunately, it turns out that the custom javascript that needs to be used in my blocks somewhat clashes with the ajax of the tabs, so it doesn't work. I contact the developer, he acknowledges that yes, indeed my blocks can't work, and to make it work requires a custom job, so unfortunately there is nothing he can do.

Fair enogh, I say, can I get a refund for my purchase? I think it is a reasonable request, you buy a mod, turns out it doesn't work as expected, even though the description says it works with ANY block. It is quite possible that my use case is very specific, so to expect that it is listed in the description of the mod as a non compatible is a bit too much. But still, do you think I should be the one paying for this incompatibility? The mod description says - it works with ANY block. My blocks, which work as a standalone DO NOT work with the mod. I think this is a clear case where refund is justified. I offer to use the refund credit to buy another mod from the same developer as a gesture of good will, the result is silence.

Next step - contacting IPS support. After my ticket is bounced around by 3 people, I finally receive a negative answer based on the comment by the developer that fixing my issue requires custom work. Somehow IPS translate that as: "hey, the developer is willing to do the custom work for you, so you cannot complain". The question however is, will this custom work be free? I seriously doubt it. But this gives me very nice business idea - I submit a paid mod to the marketplace that promises everything, but does nothing. All complaints from clients are answered with: "hey, this requires custom work, you need to pay $100 more on the top of the $10 you paid". If the customer doesn't agree - I pocket the $10. If he agrees then I used the mod as a nice way to advertise my custom services. Flawless idea!

Anyway, the conclusions for me are as follows.

1. I won't be renewing my IPS license. It expires soon and while they are always fast and helpful, once you start to understand the software, you realize that they help mostly with beginner questions. Lately the answers I receive on my tickets are mostly in the tune of "unfortunately this is not available" or "try posting in the custom mod forums". Not to mention that I had discovered a bug, for which I had to submit two tickets and bug report to finally get it acknowledged and solved. Ironically my first ticket was dismissed as "translations are out of the scope of our support so please contact the author of your translation pack" by the same developer that now works for IPS. This refund issue is the last straw. I will be renewing probably around 4.0.3.

2. I am considering joining those nice russian websites. That offer all paid mods for free. Then I can try the mod before I paid and if I like it, I MIGHT purchase it here. I don't think it is unfair, since obviously it is quite possible to buy a mod that doesn't work and IPS doesn't have your back.

Thank you for reading, I just needed to vent a little.

In my view if item claims don't work then not fit for purpose this in law terms means not doing job that claim should do and feel sorry that been treated this way IPS should review item them self's to see what issue is to change code means the items is infect broken this means item should be change and refund issued that just my view on topic of course not all fact been given but the problem means would need name the person and that not allowed her i can guess few people might be and sure one them would link to my view on that person.

I disagree with you sir.

Firstly based on the fact that you are willing to illegally get these files has ruined your credibility entirely. And if you are willing to do that just for this, I suspect that you already do this with other things.

I don't know what this file is, but if it states it works with ANY block, I'd expect it to work with any standard html or text block. Your block is using Javascript which introduces new unforeseeable problems. Pretty much you're expecting that no matter what you do to the block it should work. You can put in heaps of things in your block which could cause this to break. If I built a mangled house no flat walls and bought a product that states 'fits on all house walls' does that mean I should get a refund? I do not think this is fair to the product's creator who is expected to think over every possible wall type or combination so people won't try to exploit him. Also, how is the author to know that you are not taking him on a ride? You could claim that, get a refund, then fix the problem yourself or use the product on another one of your sites. If you get a refund, you are meant to delete the file from your computer... but given you are willing to pirate I have my doubts you would do that.

IPS does not provide support for third party products. They can force refunds but that pretty much all they will do. IPS doesn't just help with smaller questions at all. By the sound of your quotes, you are asking for functionality which doesn't exist or that they don't intend on adding. How on earth is this IPS's problem? Their response, asking you to post in the custom mod forum is perfectly just. As for the misunderstanding on your bug report, who says mistakes don't happen? IPS staff are human, not robots. Are you perfect? No, am I'm pretty darn sure you've made many mistakes in your job if you work. I am getting sick of the expectation that IPS staff cannot: 1) Make mistakes 2) Have weekends off 3) Sleep.

Go join that Russian site, I hope your license gets cancelled.

So, here is the story. I purchase a mod from the marketplace, a mod that can integrate IP.Content blocks in a nice tabbed ajax view. So far, so good - the developer is active, popular and supports his mods, the demo looks impressive. Unfortunately, it turns out that the custom javascript that needs to be used in my blocks somewhat clashes with the ajax of the tabs, so it doesn't work. I contact the developer, he acknowledges that yes, indeed my blocks can't work, and to make it work requires a custom job, so unfortunately there is nothing he can do.

Can you please elaborate a little further here? What custom javascript is that? That from the mod or your own custom code? Because the way I see it it looks like the extra work needed is more than justified and it is naturally that it will cost extra if the developers chooses to charge for his/her time/work.

Next step - contacting IPS support. After my ticket is bounced around by 3 people, I finally receive a negative answer based on the comment by the developer that fixing my issue requires custom work. Somehow IPS translate that as: "hey, the developer is willing to do the custom work for you, so you cannot complain". The question however is, will this custom work be free? I seriously doubt it. But this gives me very nice business idea - I submit a paid mod to the marketplace that promises everything, but does nothing. All complaints from clients are answered with: "hey, this requires custom work, you need to pay $100 more on the top of the $10 you paid". If the customer doesn't agree - I pocket the $10. If he agrees then I used the mod as a nice way to advertise my custom services. Flawless idea!

1. I won't be renewing my IPS license. It expires soon and while they are always fast and helpful, once you start to understand the software, you realize that they help mostly with beginner questions. Lately the answers I receive on my tickets are mostly in the tune of "unfortunately this is not available" or "try posting in the custom mod forums". Not to mention that I had discovered a bug, for which I had to submit two tickets and bug report to finally get it acknowledged and solved. Ironically my first ticket was dismissed as "translations are out of the scope of our support so please contact the author of your translation pack" by the same developer that now works for IPS. This refund issue is the last straw. I will be renewing probably around 4.0.3.

I do not understand why you are complaining about Ips. When you download a third party mod here firt of all you do that at your own risk and second there is an agreement that you have to agree before downloading a mod. Not to mention that there are no refunds regarding digital goods once they are downloaded. That is in paypal 's tos as well I believe. Also from the look of it when you have submited the other tickets that you are complaining about, you are asking for new functionalities that are not in the software. Hence their answer that you should post in the request forum for an extra feature that you would like to add to your forum.

Anyway, the conclusions for me are as follows.

2. I am considering joining those nice russian websites. That offer all paid mods for free. Then I can try the mod before I paid and if I like it, I MIGHT purchase it here. I don't think it is unfair, since obviously it is quite possible to buy a mod that doesn't work and IPS doesn't have your back.

Thank you for reading, I just needed to vent a little.

Your threats about joing those russian sites that rip off other people hard work to use stolen mods is not cool at all. I will be very blant here, I would say you leaving this community is a good riddance.

Archived