Anonymous Posting in IPB4

Peter Parker

I would like to suggest that IPS consider adding anonymous posting included in IPB, while building IPB4. This should not be confused with guest posting. Users should still be able to be moderated, and at least administrators be able to know who posted the topic, just in case of a troll etc.

I would like to see something like this built into IPB: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> Just a little more user friendly.

The reason being, sometimes people want to talk about things that embarrass them or whatever, and I think having an option to post or reply anonymously would give users more comfort in talking about things that are embarrassing, etc, and would further cultivate participation in the forums for sensitive subjects.

thanks for listening

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Dmacleo. The reasons why I think this is a bad idea should be obvious to anyone. I don't know how close anyone pays attention to this issue but lately, on the copyright and patent front, there has been a steady stream of lawsuits filed against website owners and administrators over anonymous posting and allowing this feature would open up many communities to lawsuits. I've simply been watching on the copyright lawsuit front lately and there have been a lot of lawsuits getting filed lately holding website administrators liable for comments posted by anonymous users.

I just don't see any need for it since there is already a third party hook for "posting anonymously" and that IPS already has a feature that allows a registered member to log in anonymously. Posting anonymously? I think it would create more trouble than its worth.

Those sites don't have rules or moderators? Or anyone paying attention?

Cytjbk8.png

My reason for wanting it is to change things up and for people to discuss things differently that they don't wish to in the rest of the forum. It would also fun for guessing who's posting with less serious posts. It adds a different atmosphere.

My board is for children who has been committed of a crime and need someone to talk to, our focus is both on the forums and our live chat. Many of these children actually want to be anonymous when writing or talking to us, when they chat with us they have the possibility of being anonymous and that's what I would like with the forums to. But I would only allow it to members.

Thanks, Dmacleo. The reasons why I think this is a bad idea should be obvious to anyone. I don't know how close anyone pays attention to this issue but lately, on the copyright and patent front, there has been a steady stream of lawsuits filed against website owners and administrators over anonymous posting and allowing this feature would open up many communities to lawsuits. I've simply been watching on the copyright lawsuit front lately and there have been a lot of lawsuits getting filed lately holding website administrators liable for comments posted by anonymous users.

I just don't see any need for it since there is already a third party hook for "posting anonymously" and that IPS already has a feature that allows a registered member to log in anonymously. Posting anonymously? I think it would create more trouble than its worth.

definitely something that could be good for some and bad for others, but if admin has control then could be very useful IMO

what was the hook? too lazy to search TBH.

Semel, then I would suggest opening your forums for guests to post. Not only is that considered anonymous posting but serves the same purpose. I have guest posting disabled because it encourages spammers. Also, if you have children who have been committed of a crime, why are you concerned about their posting? For one thing, it's not a good thing if you force your members to use their real name. Second, you can create forums where only certain usergroups can view those messages.

I can think of a hundred different ways you can set up a forum so that the children on your forum can post without others being able to see it.

And, it's unfortunate because a simple "search" in the IPS Marketplace would have directed you to this particular hook:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

There really is no need to add this function into the IPS software, since a hook already exists for it.

I could not spll the wrd rite so my serch faled :(

thanks for pointing it out :)

I can see some good uses for it above and beyond opening to guests (always a crapshoot) but it needs to be controlled. depending on the community using it I guess.

I may give this a shot on 3.4.5 later tomorrow

Semel, then I would suggest opening your forums for guests to post. Not only is that considered anonymous posting but serves the same purpose. I have guest posting disabled because it encourages spammers. Also, if you have children who have been committed of a crime, why are you concerned about their posting? For one thing, it's not a good thing if you force your members to use their real name. Second, you can create forums where only certain usergroups can view those messages.

I can think of a hundred different ways you can set up a forum so that the children on your forum can post without others being able to see it.

And, it's unfortunate because a simple "search" in the IPS Marketplace would have directed you to this particular hook:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

There really is no need to add this function into the IPS software, since a hook already exists for it.

In fact, I have it like that right now. I have it open to guests but topics and posts must be approved by me first. One issue with this is, I'm not always online and because of it, it takes time until anything gets approved. Many times they have reacted to this, but members on the other hand don't wait for approval.

I don't force anyone to enter their real name, only a username or display name. Neither name, age, gender, or anything similar.

I want both members and guests to be able to see all topics and posts, but some members to be able to post without their username showing. Like the modification you talk about. I also know about the modification, if you check I did post a question back in February. I think it's unfortunate that you are trying to make me seem stupid before you've checked the modification you are referring to.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/372759-post-anonymously/?p=2365475

Not trying to be a jerk to you, and I don't know where you are from, but the content in this post is unimportant in the United States.

Please see the Communications Decency Act or "CDA", 47 U.S.C. § 230

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_Act

As you can see federal law protects website owners and administrators from such behavior. If you have copyrighted material or whatever on your website, there is a fair use clause that protects you as well. If you have a whole book or something on your website, they must notice you, and you must remove it once you are noticed that it is there. There are other laws that prevent owners of intellectual property from hauling off and suing you, without notice of the property being there illegally. For all the court knows or anyone knows the owner posted it there just to sue you.

I personally do now allow guests to post, which is why I requested this. There needs to be a way to moderate anonymous posts, but keep the name of the member anonymous to the majority of users. If you don't like it, thats cool. I understand. But I think it could be useful, and with maybe a little creativity you could use it to ;)

But yea it should be able to be turned off or on, and select the groups

• 2 years later...

Archived