When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that people are getting so upset about this and talking about going to a different forum software. Honestly if you want to go to another forum software that doesn't have a major upgrade in the near future, lacks many of the features that IPB has as well as being stuck with less than what you currently have here with 3.4.6, then have fun. . . nobody is stopping you!

IPS is more than just forum software you know. I currently have the entire suite except downloads. I already plan to lessen the importance of forums on my site as I transition into a new direct. At the moment I plan to use IP.Content for that. Not all of us hang our hats on how great the forum part of the suite is and I see no technical reasons my forums couldn't run on one of the alternatives.

Q2 isn't even here yet and, as obvious as it seems, I'll point out there are 3 months in Q2. Why don't you save your complaining until 30th June? :smile:

Even if the release date wasn't until 30 June that's only 3 1/2 months away. My point in my earlier post that got overlooked in all the usual "dead horse beating" chatter was that it's a bit concerning that we are that close and IPS is acting like it's still a moving target.

A major software release shouldn't be a moving target this close to Q2. Feature sets are already locked down. Core development is already done. Operational assessment and bug fixing should be underway. Right?

Either the Q2 stuff is over-caution or there are problems. Neither is a good thing. I manage project managers for a living. I'm just making the point that solid planning and execution while keeping customers informed is what generates customer confidence and loyalty.

Vagueness almost always looks like you're masking incompetence to anyone who's ever run a business.

I mean, if you close it another one will just pop up in due time.

Exactly.

This topic needs to die tbh

tRnY4bF.jpg

The only problem is all of the emo children screwing up the signal to noise ratio sharing their feelings about how they don't care about the release date with post after post in the release date topic. All while not seeing the irony in that.

The rest spaz out when someone mentions xenforo. "Well, well, fine then go to another software, we don't care!/no one is stopping you"

A) You're not IPS so there is no "we" -- and telling their customers to move on, no one cares, yeah..... not helping.

B) The point is not to threaten to go somewhere else. It's to point out that the unnecessary vagueness of the release date after all of this time pushes people away. It's a fact of business. Not a threat.

I mention other forum software to illustrate the point. Free advice, the fact that you can't recognize that indicates you may still have some emotional growing to do.

Unfortunately though, if this were simply a topic with valid questions from customers and public answers from IPS (aka a conversation) all the "dead horse" people would get bored, so...

Raw number of sites still using it.

So, current market share? You think in 10 years there are still going to be more people using vB3 over any other forum software on the market?

I don't think so. Software comes and goes. vBulletin 3 isn't going to be the last successful forum software on the market.

I don't think the topic should be closed, maybe just moderated better if it gets out of hand. It's nice to have one central place to discuss 4.0, and the discussion would kind of die if this were closed.

In a way I wish 4.0 wouldn't come out, anyway. Now I'm used to this default skin. I don't usually use custom ones and this one turned out pretty nice. If I saw this one and the 4.0 one both at the same time without previously seeing either, I'm sure I'd pick 4.0, but once used to the 3.4 one... well, I hate change. Only reason I really do want 4.0 out is if it's truly great, I stand to benefit from it financially. But for actually using software, I am fine with 3.4. Hopefully after a while of using 4.0 I can truly feel it's better, though.

Oh, as I've said before, though, the one part of the 3.4 skinning I don't like is userInfoPane having all the custom fields, post count, etc... centered. I guess it's ok for default content, but once custom fields get added, it looks bad. Also, making it simpler to find what you are looking form as far as navigation would be good (in other words, I never quite get used to which links to click in menus to get to certain pages). Anddddd they should have kept the Help link at the top and be very easy to find. It's annoying enough having to go down to the bottom of business pages, as it is, to find links to help areas.

IPS is more than just forum software you know. I currently have the entire suite except downloads. I already plan to lessen the importance of forums on my site as I transition into a new direct. At the moment I plan to use IP.Content for that. Not all of us hang our hats on how great the forum part of the suite is and I see no technical reasons my forums couldn't run on one of the alternatives.

Well forums is the main part of user interaction, and by far the most important of the 'suite'. Your choice but I certainly hope IPS are not lessoning the importance of forums.

So, current market share? You think in 10 years there are still going to be more people using vB3 over any other forum software on the market?

I don't think so. Software comes and goes. vBulletin 3 isn't going to be the last successful forum software on the market.

That's a bold statement.

What are you judging "success" by? Raw number of sales?

Sorry but i don't do bold statements like you. As i worked at vBulletin and vBSEO , i know exact numbers both companies achieved.

Even today vBulletin 3 is one of the most used Forum Software. You highly possible have no idea what forum market current stats are :smile: otherwise you'd never post the above 2 post.

Also go ask IPB support as i am sure they are also tracking stats via their own robots and i am sure they can tell you the same :smile:

Bolder statement is voicing opinions on things people don't know detailed dude :smile:

Lets ask a question like this , do you think there will be any other forum script live on 10 years :smile:

See tons of big company , boards are still using vBulletin 3 over any other modern software out there , why because it was the best.

However lets not focus on a dying 10 year old forum software and instead focus on 4.0 which hopefully will be the script that dominates online communities in next 3-4 years.

Sorry but i don't do bold statements like you. As i worked at vBulletin and vBSEO , i know exact numbers both companies achieved.

Even today vBulletin 3 is one of the most used Forum Software. You highly possible have no idea what forum market current stats are :smile: otherwise you'd never post the above 2 post.

Also go ask IPB support as i am sure they are also tracking stats via their own robots and i am sure they can tell you the same :smile:

Bolder statement is voicing opinions on things people don't know detailed dude :smile:

Lets ask a question like this , do you think there will be any other forum script live on 10 years :smile:

See tons of big company , boards are still using vBulletin 3 over any other modern software out there , why because it was the best.

However lets not focus on a dying 10 year old forum software and instead focus on 4.0 which hopefully will be the script that dominates online communities in next 3-4 years.

You talk about it, it is really small compared to hand IPB3.x V4.x or soon to happen, it remains for me the best in the market in all the points already IP.Content design is much more modern, even if I 'admits he is making an effort in my vb5 not yet ankle IPB.3

There are tons of companies that still use Windows XP and even DOS. I assure you they don't use it because it's the best. Companies don't like change, change means cost, re-training and risk of failure. Better to use what you have and what's currently working for you, even if by modern standards it is outdated crap. Your statement here is hilariously invalid.

Keep talking up like a pretentious tool and pretend you know more than everyone else here though, please :smile:

Well forums is the main part of user interaction, and by far the most important of the 'suite'. Your choice but I certainly hope IPS are not lessoning the importance of forums.

IP Content has a comments section that can be independent from the forums.... that is the direction I am taking. Forums will still be there, but of less importance

I think in 10 years forum software will be nearly nonexistent. But that's another discussion for another topic... :P

Spoilers are just BBCode and you can edit/theme them yourself however you like

That's not an excuse to make them ugly by default or to have poor functionality. Iirc the blog post about spoilers never said anything about spoilers being able to have titles, a simple feature you'd think would exist by now.

Archived