When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

Will it be released without blogs covering all the features then? Because yes if we were to gauge the release based on blogs, it seems like we are pretty far off.

I don't think they'll be posting a blog for everything that has changed from 3.x to 4.0. And I feel like they are showing larger portions of the software with some of the more recent blogs. So with that I'd say it's probably sooner than we'd like to think.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm I'm not sure I agree with that entirely. Don't get me wrong, all blogs are welcome, but for the most part they have been subsets of functionality. We haven't seen anything "core" in respect to IP.Board, IP.Blog, IP.Content, IP.Gallery, etc. I would imagine they would certainly give us some introspection into their core products before it is released.

It's not the wait for the actual release that bothers me anymore.They say Q2 2014? Well that's next month and we're almost half way through this month already... The fact that we're about 2 weeks out from Q2 and they can't even tell us the release date by now is troubling.

Q2 is April, May & June. March is still in Q1. :smile:

Which could mean release candidates at the end of June. Then BETAs, then Gold. Which could see us well into Q3 before there is an actual production site ready stable version. That's how Nebulous "Q2" is. Even now, 2 weeks out.

Frustrating for me because I'm holding off on launching a new project; and I think a mistake for them because plenty of people in my position have already committed to Xenforo. A vague release date for over half a year will do that.

My point,in a nutshell, is that "some time in Q2" or "when it's done" works when the product isn't due for months. NOT 2 weeks out when your customers are out there every day deciding whether or not to use your product and your competition is strong and a few clicks away. It's time for a release date.

If a businesses clients are concerned and troubled and looking at competitors for a solution, then, as a business, I'd be worried. It doesn't matter if what you will eventually offer is the best of the best, once a commitment has been made and your budget is blown, you stick with what you've bought until such time that you feel able to or comfortable moving up.

What has concerned me over the recent blogs is the amount of concern expressed over the look, feel and functionality of what is being described. When that concern is voiced the stock defensive statement is used - "these are old images". It doesn't make sense to show something that is obsolete in relation to what is being proposed; hence the critique of the clients.

I decided to hold off my own project with the expectation that 4.0.0 would be in, at least, beta by the beginning of Q2. If that expectation is not fulfilled then I may have to just go with another solution, because I can't tie up my project indefinitely.

For those that will advocate going with 3.4.6 and then upgrade - that's not an option for me. Once I commit to a software I want no major upheaval in the very near future - a year on, perhaps; but then the competitors will be a year on too.

Once a client is lost, it's near impossible to get them back; that's something I learned the hard way. When you have competitors you can't afford to be complacent and you can't afford to tick off your existing client base. Just as in the housing market the edict is 'location, location, location' when dealing with clients who sustain your business the edict is (or ought to be) 'customer, customer, customer' - first, last and centre; they are your business.

IMHO it's time for IPS to get off the fence and start showing what is instead of all this cloak and dagger secrecy and dangling the carrot, because at some point the carrot will not be so appealing.

I find it interesting that people are getting so upset about this and talking about going to a different forum software. Honestly if you want to go to another forum software that doesn't have a major upgrade in the near future, lacks many of the features that IPB has as well as being stuck with less than what you currently have here with 3.4.6, then have fun. . . nobody is stopping you!

It's a lose lose situation for IPB and they aren't going to make everyone happy. And it's not really that hard to get a customer back when you have a superior product. In this day and age people want what they want when they want it. . . and they want it NOW. There's no more patience or waiting for anything anymore; we're all used to getting real time updates on everything and it goes to show here. I understand some people want to release certain things or start a new project. But what are you going to get out of going to another forum software vs just using 3.4.6 at this point in time? Have the people here treated you so bad that you can't use 3.4.6, or you can't wait until 4.0.

I agree with people that I'd love to see more about 4.0 and I'd love for it to have been released a few weeks ago. But unfortunately that's not the case here, and there is truly no reason to get pissed off at them for not doing something that you'd like to see. Give your input because I'm certain they are taking that into consideration even when they aren't saying they are, and have some patience as well.

I find it interesting that people are getting so upset about this and talking about going to a different forum software

Personally I am not 'upset', but I am concerned that something that was announced over a year ago - pegged in for late 2013 and then changed to early 2014 and then changed to Q2 without even being afforded the pleasure of seeing any of the core elements that most people are interested in and, to add insult to injury, we are shown out-of-date screen shots that will not resemble the finished product.

lacks many of the features that IPB has

Says who? It's all relative as to what your expectations are :smile:

And it's not really that hard to get a customer back

Try working in a competitive industry for over 40 years and you may change your mind on that one

But what are you going to get out of going to another forum software vs just using 3.4.6 at this point in time?

Something that is not going to be out-dated and left behind and something that isn't going to require a major overhaul for a good while. Don't assume that IPS are the only ones who are pioneering forwards.

There's no more patience or waiting for anything anymore; we're all used to getting real time updates on everything and it goes to show here

In that you are correct - patience is a limited commodity these days and after waiting over a year and no sign of even a beta I guess you could say that patience has walked out of the door

and have some patience as well.

In relation to the previous quote that is kind of out of context

Have the people here treated you so bad that you can't use 3.4.6, or you can't wait until 4.0.

No they haven't treated me badly at all - I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can produce quality software. But I too have a life and a project and a deadline and as it's my money and time I'm investing I will invest it where it will be of most benefit to me and my projected client base. My clients don't need loads of bells and whistles - they need simplicity and continuity and those are the two overriding factors.

I've been a client of IPS since 2002 (in and out) and I recognise they produce quality software - but then so do others (VB aside). I understand that timelines can slip, but we're not dealing with amateurs who are just starting out. Before 4.0.0 was a twinkle in someone's eye they must have had an idea of what was expected of the software and how to implement it and if they foresaw that this was a huge undertaking that was going to take a fair while to achieve, then they shouldn't have announced it so early. Some of the IPS staff have already stated that 'they go through this every time a new release is mentioned'; time to learn a lesson I reckon that it's best to say nothing until you have it close to a wrap.

I've been carefully looking at (with a fine microscopic view) the competition and I like what I'm seeing more and more. So, I am prepared to wait a little longer, but not much. And if IPS don't care that they will lose a customer that's their choice, but when a customer is walking out the door you still have an opportunity to pull them back, but believe me when I'm gone I'm gone and no amount of bells and whistles will drag me back.

It also begs the question how many others either feel the same or have already gone.

:thumbsup:

Look, I get the whole point of not sharing release dates, but I have to totally agree with the poster above me who said it's kind of ridiculous at the point that they aren't showing off more of the core aspects. Especially because they keep teasing outdated shots.

Look, I get the whole point of not sharing release dates, but I have to totally agree with the poster above me who said it's kind of ridiculous at the point that they aren't showing off more of the core aspects. Especially because they keep teasing outdated shots.

Yes, all this admin stuff is all well and good but it only affects me. What about what my members will see on the front end? It won't be out by June, fact.

Will it be released without blogs covering all the features then? Because yes if we were to gauge the release based on blogs, it seems like we are pretty far off.

That may be true but think of it this way. They are leading us with blog "breadcrumbs" which if we follow it will lead us to the whole "loaf" or final release. So they just getting started, there are three and 2/3 months left before Q3 ends so there should be a tons of stuff coming out. Most of the streamline features. So just chill out and relax and wait to see what comes.

This topic continues to confuse me.

Several (almost all, actually) of the latest blog entries have ALL been front end blog entries.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Moderation parts 1-3 (out of 5)

Calendar recurring events

Calendar stream

Staff directory

Comments and reviews

IP.Downloads submissions

(*the list goes on)

These are all front end entries, not admin entries.

I'm afraid that wanting the software ASAP is natural, but doesn't make development move any quicker. We want to get it out as soon as possible, and we are working hard to do that, but we can't do any more than we are already - providing information about upcoming changes, providing loose time frames to the best of our ability right now, and trying to keep everyone up to date on our progress, even if that's not a percentage or progress bar or anything else that is entirely subjective on our end and doesn't actually give you any more details than we are already doing.

I think what people really want to see is what the forum view, topic view and post view is going to be like. All the blog entries so far have been interesting but stuff like moderation, calendar etc are all secondary to how the main views have changed in appearance, functionality, ease of use etc...

I think what people really want to see is what the forum view, topic view and post view is going to be like. All the blog entries so far have been interesting but stuff like moderation, calendar etc are all secondary to how the main views have changed in appearance, functionality, ease of use etc...

They haven't significantly changed in terms of layout.

Some of us are waiting to see if IPB delivers what is already found in other platforms for end-users & also something new & inspiring.

I'm very pleased to see IPB add some front end-user features I already have with other platforms. EX: recurring calendar, smilie cats, reviews, etc.
Some of the more personal end-user features are not available in 3.x and some will not be in 4.0. Can't please everyone...I get that.
But most, not all, of the blog updates seem to be more centered toward admins & moderators.

What I am eagerly watching for is something new & inspiring for end-users:
What will IPB have for end-users that is new and inspiring and/or different from all other platforms?

Following what's the norm, but leading with something new & inspiring....

If I could sum up every single post I've seen you make with one hyphenated word, that would be it. xD

Well, if I wanted to play all by myself in a community and wanted to need admin/mod options...well, I'd upgrade to VB5.

IPB, XF, VB3.x/4x, Joomla & WP addons, and others offer more for end-users. Weighing which one offers the features you think your community will enjoy and/or need, is an important factor.

So, yes...."end-users" sums it up for me. :grin:

I looked at IPB vs XF over a year ago.

Running both on my server as tests, XF loaded faster. Neither had Smilie Categories, which is very important on my board. IPB seemed less friendly in the Admin. And the cost difference.

Now, I see what is being said about version 4. They are adding Smilie Categories, but, XF 1.3 added a very nice core Smilie Categories function. The IPB core is being rewritten as well as well as Admin.

Since I am looking at adding another project, again I am looking for the best board to serve my needs.

The Forum is what is important to me, not the blogs, chat etc, which I had in the past and they proved negatives, not positives for me.

So, it is important to me on the time frame of the release.

I am trying to get a feel if it is worth it to wait or go with another XF. Really, even if released it does not mean I will buy an IPB, since the functions, speed and cost are still relevant.

On the side, I do believe the competition between IPB and XF should make for a better product in both. vB does not seem to understand that.

I agree, it is all about the end users.

Archived