When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

Could I order;

• One screenshot of the board index
  • One screencast of a user registering and making a post
  • A few screenshots of the reactive skin on Android and Apple devices.

Oh and a side of your favourite thing/feature in IPCS 4.

Please deliver to somewhere below this post.

Thankyou.

:smile:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was in their best interest to move their files to a new category too...

Not exactly... neither us or users liked the new structure; we simply had to move. Who didn't move, was penalized in some way and life goes on. But that's not the point here. If IPS add this field it's just like "Yes, we are aware of this and they can do it". Otherwise, again, it will be a widespread whimper... and of course, contributors will be the bad guys, as always. :hmm:

I have to weigh in on this "free upgrade" for mods and applications. With all due respect to Marketplace customers, it's not reasonable to expect that devs provide free upgrades whenever there is a major new upgrade to the forum software. The one thing I noticed is that when the IPS suite switches between major versions (2.x.x to 3.x.x), (3.x.x to 4.x.x), that free upgrades should not be expected because of the change in the code and that they have to charge a new fee for it.

When the upgrades happen within the major release, 4.0 to 4.1, 4.1 to 4.2, they generally provide free upgrades but not when there is a major upgrade in the software between versions, 2.x to 3.x, 3.x to 4.x. This is why I don't buy anything from the marketplace when a new major upgrade of the IPS Community Suite is released because everyone should already assume that there won't be any free upgrades.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't buy anything from the marketplace until 4.0 is released, that is, if you plan on upgrading to IPS Community Suit 4.0.

I have to weigh in on this "free upgrade" for mods and applications. With all due respect to Marketplace customers, it's not reasonable to expect that devs provide free upgrades whenever there is a major new upgrade to the forum software. The one thing I noticed is that when the IPS suite switches between major versions (2.x.x to 3.x.x), (3.x.x to 4.x.x), that free upgrades should not be expected because of the change in the code and that they have to charge a new fee for it.

When the upgrades happen within the major release, 4.0 to 4.1, 4.1 to 4.2, they generally provide free upgrades but not when there is a major upgrade in the software between versions, 2.x to 3.x, 3.x to 4.x. This is why I don't buy anything from the marketplace when a new major upgrade of the IPS Community Suite is released because everyone should already assume that there won't be any free upgrades.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't buy anything from the marketplace until 4.0 is released, that is, if you plan on upgrading to IPS Community Suit 4.0.

While I agree updated files for major releases should not always be free for existing customers, I think that they should be discounted for existing customers of hose files. Even with the 3.x to 4.x change, developers that decide to re-work their files to work with 4.x should offer it at a discounted price to existing customers. It is just a good business model where you take care of your customers, and I guarantee you will sell more than if everyone was charged full price (for most apps, some will sell no matter what).

Either way, I cannot wait until 4.x is released. However even when it is released I am stuck where I am at. Between custom skin edits to professional skins I have installed to custom apps and coding I will be on that waiting list of people hoping developers choose the apps I use as ones they will integrate with 4.0, whether paid, free, or discounted (for being a current customer).

While I agree updated files for major releases should not always be free for existing customers, I think that they should be discounted for existing customers of hose files. Even with the 3.x to 4.x change, developers that decide to re-work their files to work with 4.x should offer it at a discounted price to existing customers. It is just a good business model where you take care of your customers, and I guarantee you will sell more than if everyone was charged full price (for most apps, some will sell no matter what).

I agree with this. I'd charge 50%.. but this should be automatic, via marketplace renew or something. I mean, set all files to expired and then charge 50% to download the file again. BUT, this should happen to existing buyers of the file. New purchases should have not has renewals...

That'd be fine to me... but MP here is a stock installation of Downloads/Nexus... I'm sure it's not possible.

IMHO an addon for 3.x is not the same addon for 4.x. I'm sure that many developers will have to rewrite code to be compatible with any major version that comes out. If the base is changed, it becomes a new product. It's like buying a game for your computer vs buying a game for a game console. It may be the same game, but you must purchase the game that runs on the system you want to use. If you played the game on your game console but now want to play on your computer, you would have to purchase a compatible game again.

However, I do agree that there should be more options in the marketplace for developers so they can decide for themselves whether or not to charge full price for an upgrade, a discounted price or free upgrade for existing customers, etc.

Personally, I'd rather the marketplace be separated by major version. Makes it easier to find compatible addons. And if you use the current product space, you are stuck with 3.x comments & support posts that may not have anything to do with 4.x at all. It becomes bloated with information & confusing for customers to find relevant information in some circumstances.

I think moving forward, the way IPS 4.0 Social Suite is going to be released (as one full suite rather than individual components) is going to make it easier for both developers and consumers alike to keep track of compatibility.

Also, did anyone else notice the release date here: http://community.invisionpower.com/forum-1/announcement-30-what-new-in-ips-community-suite-40/

I think moving forward, the way IPS 4.0 Social Suite is going to be released (as one full suite rather than individual components) is going to make it easier for both developers and consumers alike to keep track of compatibility.

Also, did anyone else notice the release date here: http://community.invisionpower.com/forum-1/announcement-30-what-new-in-ips-community-suite-40/

Nope. You are the first person to point this out. O:

We couldn't even get marketplace contributors to move their files to new categories after months of warnings that the old categories were going away. You think the majority are going to bother editing their files again to fill in a new optional field?

It was in their best interest to move their files to a new category too...

The marketplace will be update to reflect the new changes coming? Are a redone of some areas in the marketplace is coming up?

Blog posts are averaging 1 a week, Q2 is March-June. I can't see it being released by June 2014, we're not getting enough info.

It seems like they have barely scratched the surface with blogs. Wonder why it is taking them so long to post them :P

Mock all you like, I've followed this forum for coming up to 10 years now and can tell when a release is near, or not. I don't get the impression it is, due to blog post frequency but also we haven't seen anything on the front end yet. I personally don't care when it's released, but it's really frustrating not knowing what is upcoming on the front end.

I have concerns about the new design, is it as user friendly as Xenforo. A forum needs to be enjoyable to use. Until I can see whats in store frustration gets the better of me as I like to have a plan. <_<

Little changes such as the word 'content' replacing 'posts', has been creeping in since 3.0 but I've noticed it more so on 4.0 blog entries. View new posts not view new content (only really necessary when you have all the suite). There should be an option to change this. I don't want to start new content, I want to post a new topic, or add a reply, not add more content. I have 5,000 posts not a 5,000 content count! I am probably in the minority but it's not user friendly. Maybe OCD is taking over me. I think I need to ban myself visiting this forum for a few months.

You are trying to gauge the release date based on blog post frequency?

Will it be released without blogs covering all the features then? Because yes if we were to gauge the release based on blogs, it seems like we are pretty far off.

Archived