When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

I really want to do this but it will be a widespread whimper! :nuke:

Really don't know what to do! :hmm:

Some people will complain about anything they can and are never satisfied.

Do whatever you think is reasonable and is worth your time.

I think it's reasonable to create a new file for 4.0 hooks/applications, you should probably update the description of the old files to include a link to it to avoid confusion is all.

If people don't like it, too bad. They won't get your hook for 4.0 unless they're willing to compensate you for your time in making it. Slave labor isn't fun.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people will complain about anything they can and are never satisfied.

Do whatever you think is reasonable and is worth your time.

I think it's reasonable to create a new file for 4.0 hooks/applications, you should probably update the description of the old files to include a link to it to avoid confusion is all.

If people don't like it, too bad. They won't get your hook for 4.0 unless they're willing to compensate you for your time in making it. Slave labor isn't fun.

Exactly. From what I've read, it looks like hooks and apps are going to need a full re-write.

Well, I'll probably do that ... I think it would be nice if we, the developers who will do it, would make it public as soon as possible, through a link in the signature or a post on blog, mentioning all developers who will participate. I think that leave the user in the dark won't be a nice thing.

wonder what most developers will do with those free apps that need a lot of writing to them, will they remain free or will they make them paid now ? can understand keeping a simple hook for free but a big app got me thinking..

wonder what most developers will do with those free apps that need a lot of writing to them, will they remain free or will they make them paid now ? can understand keeping a simple hook for free but a big app got me thinking..

I have a few that will be paid... too much work and support on them.

I think it would be nice if we, the developers who will do it, would make it public as soon as possible, through a link in the signature or a post on blog, mentioning all developers who will participate. I think that leave the user in the dark won't be a nice thing.

Anyone else want to do it ?

I think that customers will understand that 4.0 is a major release and that mods and apps even skins will most likely have to be rebuilt from the ground up,i for one do not mind paying for that and im sure many others will not mind either but that is my opinion.

maybe you are right, but have to wait them to update.
now have excellent free mods also, and if these are not updated. I prefer not to make the change to 4.0.and not because i not willing to pay, is because it is not convenient for my site and my users. since we can not ask for support.
I think the developers should do two lists, one in which notify which mods will not update and which ones Yes but will be pay.
so clients can make a budget.

I would presume that Developers will have to see 4.0.0 before making any decisions on their works as what 'some' of their 'add-ons' offered may now be a part of the core making them obsolete.

Just a thought :thumbsup:

Well, if IPS would some time add the ability to give discounts on third party apps, rather than only either full price or free, we could charge again for 4.0 ones, but give discounts to current customers, where at least we get something. All but one of mine has renewals, but in a lot of cases it's low. And sometimes it's every 6 months instead of 12. I really think it's best to do them every 12, that way if someone keeps not renewing, at least when they update board and thus have to update third aprty apps, there will be enough renewal to be worth the trouble of updating apps.

As far as multiple versions in marketplace, it's been done before. I remember some of Michael's, for example, had different downloads for different forum versions. I forget if they were paid or free, though.

I never think about these things in situations where I get reasonably less than what the time is worth, but sometimes, lately, I've been doing things that took crazy amounts of time and got me basically nothing so far. When you make third party apps, customers expect you to be dedicated to them, not just work on them every once in a while, so it can't be one of those deals where you just consider it a spare time hobby and thus care less about income from them.

Either way, we decided on renewal fees and staff has said we can have them changed for future purchases, so if we did a bad job deciding on those, so at least we can get it set better for the future. I always figure not too many new people will be getting third party apps after they've been out a long time, but I guess if a lot of new people get ip.board when 4 comes out, it will of course help third parties.

I confess to being one of those developers, but as of now I am undecided as to which of my mods will have the separate fee. When I see what 4.0 looks like, I'll decide. I will notify my customers as soon as I decide what I'm doing with each mod.

It is also likely that I will give the 4.0 version at a slight discount for existing customers. I'm not completely unreasonable.

I'm not saying that I mind it as a business practice. You deserve to eat too and having to re-write an application such as Newsletters from the ground up will be no easy task. But at the same time, that means that I am holding off on any additional app purchases until after 4.0 drops.

IPS should add a new field to marketplace files which explains which types of upgrades would be free and which would be paid (such as saying only major ones have a new charge) or maybe even build in ability to have a new fee handled by marketplace itself. That latter one would be the most ideal. Then customers know right off if they have to pay for major version upgrades. I've had software before which flat out said you get free upgrades for minor releases, but once it does a major change, such as 4 to 5, it's considered a new program.

IPS should add a new field to marketplace files which explains which types of upgrades would be free and which would be paid (such as saying only major ones have a new charge) or maybe even build in ability to have a new fee handled by marketplace itself. That latter one would be the most ideal. Then customers know right off if they have to pay for major version upgrades. I've had software before which flat out said you get free upgrades for minor releases, but once it does a major change, such as 4 to 5, it's considered a new program.

We couldn't even get marketplace contributors to move their files to new categories after months of warnings that the old categories were going away. You think the majority are going to bother editing their files again to fill in a new optional field?

We couldn't even get marketplace contributors to move their files to new categories after months of warnings that the old categories were going away. You think the majority are going to bother editing their files again to fill in a new optional field?

Doesn't matter if they do or not. It will let authors who want to use it be able to cover themselves for these situations.

Archived