When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

We've also always said to not wait for IPS 4 and to go ahead and use IP.Board 3.

Meh. After seeing how coding is going to work in IPS 4, I really really really don't want to code in IPB 3 anymore. Like I've been completely avoiding it. It feels so...clunky to me. ;-;

I want to use fouurrrrrrrrrrrr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe because they're busy working on IPS 4 and put someone on this will be a waste of time/resource ?!?

Come on... they already said that will be released till July 1st.

What else you guys want ? :unsure:

It will take so long to say "hmm what percentage are we finished with?" and then 2 minutes later making some bar showing a percentage of progress for whatever area.

I guess I agree it's not hugely useful, although even little things like that get some people to stop asking. :)

It will take so long to say "hmm what percentage are we finished with?" and then 2 minutes later making some bar showing a percentage of progress for whatever area.

I guess I agree it's not hugely useful, although even little things like that get some people to stop asking. :smile:

For the very first time in history of IPS (as far as I remember, since I'm here for 7 years now), they gives us a "date" of release... I'm pretty happy with it. :)

What I hate about any big update is then it's (in past versions, so I assume same now) a big headache redoing skinning. Really even worse in the acp than the front end, I'd say. And I hate skinning of any sort at all. And I usually do acp-related skinning in the outdated way of having separate functions for the start of a table, each row, etc.... basically the same functions ip.board had a long time ago, but updated when class names needed to change. lol

For the very first time in history of IPS (as far as I remember, since I'm here for 7 years now), they gives us a "date" of release... I'm pretty happy with it. :smile:

They've given dates in the past, but I forget when they stopped doing it. I would probably be complaining and saying for them to hurry it up if I could ever get any sites active, but I am never good at getting sites active so I just work on apps and don't care as much when something is released. I do like to have things ready asap for new releases though. Hopefully will have everything done by the first day and can improve things while updating them.

I still wish I could get some forum site active and interesting, though. It's way harder now than say a decade ago. SOme people still manage to get some popular forums set up , though.

I really dont know why people are making all this fuss over a completion date, im as excited as the next person over this revamp but the one thing i dont want to happen is IPS feel pressurized to release something that isn't ready and we end up like Vbulletin, a complete nightmare.

Its hard enough as it is, specially if you have a custom skin and third party apps that will probably break, so we need the core of the site to work and work well from the get go. that to my mind is worth waiting for, Its not like we are running some crappy software, waiting to be upgraded to something good.. Its good already, so whats the rush.

They say patience is a virtue for a very good reason.... :thumbsup:

no offense but it does seem somewhat trite and cheapens the platform when many items in the marketplace are "on sale or discounted" as a last ditch effort for sales on the 3.x platform when 4.0 is on the horizon, and any purchase of them could mean weeks or months after 4.0 does ship, spawning the next wave of poking and prodding these developers for the next version that would be compatible with 4.0.

I only imagine that there is a downtick in sales for the marketplace merchants - don't get me wrong - you've guys and gals have talents in spades.

And I realize some purchases may considered consumable like the essence of a theme may need to be redesigned or used as inspiration for something similar once 4.0 is out.

Seeing offers put up when a new version of software is on the horizon is nothing new, it happens in just about every marketplace imaginable. Camera's are sold with cash back deals when a new model is expected, phone's are given away on contracts when a new model is expected and PCs are discounted when a new version of Windows is being released, to clear old stock.

I can't see anything wrong with this if the buyer is happy buying the goods, particularly if they plan to stay on 3.X for a while longer. There are bargains to be had!

I guess I agree it's not hugely useful, although even little things like that get some people to stop asking. :smile:

80/20 rule ...... My guess is they are 20% complete. Terabyte got the comment spot on. Progressbars are useless, especially in development.

I still wish I could get some forum site active and interesting, though. It's way harder now than say a decade ago. SOme people still manage to get some popular forums set up , though.

The amount of good forums is quite small, many are just filling a gap, but are nowhere near where they could be (I count mine in there). Theres so much potential on how you can make a page awesome now, which wasn't there 10 years ago. You got mediawiki, IPB forum with a good gallery/CMS (or in case you don't like, wordpress) and lots of other interesting software to fill a page with content. I haven't seen many great pages yet. I've seen pages which were great at doing one task, providing a good forum or good content, but I haven't seen the "perfect" page in any business yet.

As far as sales on marketplace apps, at least you'll probably get to use them for 4.0 when they are updated. Some had thought of selling their same apps for 4.0 separately where you have to buy the app again if you want it for 4.0. And I see their point on doing that because it's a pain updating apps and even if there are renewal costs, it usually won't cover the time spent to update them. For the first party apps, they stand to gain a lot with new versions, but for third party it's not as often going to bring in many new sales, most likely.

Meh. After seeing how coding is going to work in IPS 4, I really really really don't want to code in IPB 3 anymore. Like I've been completely avoiding it. It feels so...clunky to me. ;-;

I want to use fouurrrrrrrrrrrr

the slowdown of development for the current product by thirdparty developers is already showing.

Sometime this year is the best I can say :smile:

Is it much fuuuuurther yet?! Haha. omg, I haven't re-activated my board since November 2012... I could sure use a reason to. *cough* IPB 4 *cough* :whistle:

Argh! Ok, the truth is I'm going crazy waiting for this. I've been good. I've been watching on the side and being a nice quiet user but... It hurts! I neeeeed it! :frantics:

Archived