When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

It is important to remember that we've been working on 4.0 in some capacity since the beginning of this year, or even late last year. This is why we may be farther along than you expected. It's just that the initial stages don't really give us much to talk about publicly, so things are quiet at first. :smile:

I would not wait for 4.0 to start a new project. It is still a ways away, and you will be able to upgrade. The only major things to consider are custom skins and custom addons, as they will not work on the next generation.

Thanks Brandon that helps. Just one point to clarify, do you mean add ons such as the many hooks I have installed. And larger modules like links directory, pro menu, media system etc.

If that is the case I would be best doing everything now to IPS, then waiting for 4.0 to come out and when all hooks/mods are upgraded move over.

Do you agree?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything that is third party will need to be updated. Hooks, applications, etc. Everything.

Yes, I would get started now and proceed based on your current needs, and then upgrade to 4.0 when any third party addons you require are updated.

Anything that is third party will need to be updated. Hooks, applications, etc. Everything.

Yes, I would get started now and proceed based on your current needs, and then upgrade to 4.0 when any third party addons you require are updated.

Brandon,

Can you provide any insight into what the implications for IP.C based solutions might be? One of our new projects is HEAVILY based on IP.C and we've been trying to decide whether to put the efforts into finishing that one up, or working on another project while we wait for 4.0. We're working with some custom IP.C DB fields types, heavily customized DB templates etc. If you can't comment on IP.C changes I certainly understand, just trying to plan for the best use of our time/resources. :)

James

I can't say what will change specifically, but I can say that you will be able to upgrade to the latest version of course.

If you use custom php code (i.e. php pages or blocks) calling IP.Board PHP API's, those calls won't work any more and will throw an error. It's impossible to give a blanket answer for this question because everyone uses IP.Content in very different ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that, as long as your license is active, product updates are free of charge. If you buy IP.Board now, you can update later on without having to buy a new license. :thumbsup:

This is exactly why we don't publish release dates. We are free to continue working on it until, as others have said, it is ready. Not rushed to release on schedule or disappoint when we miss a schedule. We release when it's ready. :thumbsup:

This kind of attitude is why you guys are ranked much better in my opinion over IB. vBulletin rushes to meet strict deadlines set by people who aren't involved in the creation of it.

Glad I made the switch.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have a growing project using phpBB and I need to upgrade to a more professional solution. It should happen in January.

Do you think I should wait until IPB4 is ready or I should go for vBulletin and not wait that right now? In January/14 I'll really need to migrate because I'll release the portal's 2.0 version (so I'll use the opportunity and ask the designer to develop my custom theme).

Best Regards,

//Arthur

IMO, and its pure opinion, waiting to do a project based on when 4 comes out would be bad.

unless I have missed something its not even in beta tests yet.

then what if there is an issue that would only affect you that would be fixe din 4.1?

you wait more?

IMO best to just do it now, get people used to how ip works compared to phpbb. benefit of the 3.4 series is addons and dev support is in place right now.

would take a bit to ramp up after 4 released.

This is the official response:

When will 4.0 be released?

Late this year or early 2014 depending on how our testing goes

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum-486/announcement-30-what-new-in-ips-social-suite-40/

4.0.0 is still in beta 1 as far as the bug tracker is publicly concerned.

It's best not to ask. 3.0 took over a year to release after it was announced, if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, and its pure opinion, waiting to do a project based on when 4 comes out would be bad.

unless I have missed something its not even in beta tests yet.

then what if there is an issue that would only affect you that would be fixe din 4.1?

you wait more?

IMO best to just do it now, get people used to how ip works compared to phpbb. benefit of the 3.4 series is addons and dev support is in place right now.

would take a bit to ramp up after 4 released.

While I can appreciate where you're coming from on this, I just don't know whether IPB4 will bear much resemblance to IPB 3. From what I'm seeing, it's a radical change so I wonder whether using IPB 3 will be beneficial.

I've stopped developing and upgrading IPB 3 long ago and have several stale licenses since IPB4 is the only hope for solving some real issues, e..g that slug that exists in IPB4 URLs which I'm not about to 301 redirect all our new traffic to deal with. We're better off running lean to start with something, even late beta, than trying to skin, customize and launch sites only to have to do it all over again.

• 4 weeks later...

My speculation for a release date is late 2014. Especially since the staff posts in this thread at the beginning clearly state that they don't have any interest at hitting goals or if they have goals. It's going to be ready when it's ready. Prepare to have time taken and work around not knowing when a release date is and then POOF 4.0 is there

My speculation for a release date is late 2014. Especially since the staff posts in this thread at the beginning clearly state that they don't have any interest at hitting goals or if they have goals. It's going to be ready when it's ready. Prepare to have time taken and work around not knowing when a release date is and then POOF 4.0 is there

This.

I can understand why some would like to know, but I think its mainly people that want to build their site with v4. Just build the site with 3.4, then when v4 comes out it can be upgraded. Rushing the IPS team is not a good idea, I personally would rather a nice solid product than something rushed because the 'impatient' want to 'builld v4 now!'. No. Just build with 3.4, then upgrade when v4 is out. That simple. Why rush them?

Not to mention the tons of plugins and themes avail for 3.x that will take probably a year to convert most to v4.

This.

I can understand why some would like to know, but I think its mainly people that want to build their site with v4. Just build the site with 3.4, then when v4 comes out it can be upgraded. Rushing the IPS team is not a good idea, I personally would rather a nice solid product than something rushed because the 'impatient' want to 'builld v4 now!'. No. Just build with 3.4, then upgrade when v4 is out. That simple. Why rush them?

Not to mention the tons of plugins and themes avail for 3.x that will take probably a year to convert most to v4.

I don't think it's that, Some people run business with this software, and not knowing and being able to plan accordingly because the company doesn't want to tell customers their goals and planned release dates (even if it's pushed back). It's like this game for example, Star Citizen, hitting 33+ Million dollars in CROWD funding from people like us. The thing that they do, they keep everyone up to date on the development, with goals they are reaching, even if they don't succeed them, they state why, what they are doing to work around it and so on and you do get the occasional "ugh I hate you" but 90% of them don't care because they know it's for the overal goal. This same structure is half way done here, they update us with development, but they don't tell us when they plan on doing x or y, even if it's not there.

Saferpak1 is right, they have to have someone in the background doing the project management and trying to get release dates like "I need to get this built into the core by this weekend and by the end of the month, get this going" but we're left in the dark here for that.

This doesn't work with IPS, it is what it is -- This is just not their business practice and it's neither good or bad, it's how they do business. Regardless, this business stand point still affects many, like saferpak1 for example who runs his whole company based upon this software. Not knowing when something is going to arrive that MAKES your business function causes him to rethink and rework his whole business model.

With all due respect, we've been doing this for a long time, and we go through this every time we are working on a major new release. We have the practices in place that we have in place for a reason. :)

We have goals and timeframes. They are often missed, and not necessarily because of a "reason" you can identify - sometimes our own internal estimates are not correct and we need to adjust. When we tell people a timeframe they often expect that is a set in stone release date (even with the word "estimate" tacked on) and it creates problems when we push things back. To tell you a release date, then change that 2 months later, then again 2 months later, ad naseum doesn't do you any more good than us giving you a general time frame we estimate to release the software and then updating you when and if that changes, which is what we do. Planning on a release date and then it not being available at that time is just as bad as not having a release date to plan on at all. We give you dates when we are reasonably confident we can make them.

We have already given you a release estimate of late 2013, which we pushed back to first half of 2014. We will not give you anything more concrete until we have something more concrete we feel comfortable sharing. This will likely be closer to the time a public alpha preview site is available for you to test.

Archived