Google Author Markup / Author rank Support

Unlucky

Hi,

It would be extremely helpful if the suite could support Google Author Markup

Vbulletin has a plugin that allows you to choose which threads you start will be credited to you by allowing you to add Google authorship to them

IE - http://www.moneymakingexperts.org/f12/claim-google-authorship-your-forum-threads-497/

Is this something that can be added or is there currently a hook for this out there now?

Many thanks

A single thread has as many authors as users that replied.

The way that plugin works is it is only relevant to the person that starts the thread.

But this will be really important for us for a new project which we really want to use IPB board, ipcontent and ipblog for instead of wordpress that supports google authorship fully.

It is for an ASD site and we want the mums that contribute to be creditied for their input whether it be as guest bloggers or thread starters.

Hi,

It would be extremely helpful if the suite could support Google Author Markup

Vbulletin has a plugin that allows you to choose which threads you start will be credited to you by allowing you to add Google authorship to them

IE - http://www.moneymakingexperts.org/f12/claim-google-authorship-your-forum-threads-497/

Is this something that can be added or is there currently a hook for this out there now?

Many thanks

I am interested in this too

thanks

Where and how do forum members posting their thread starts, blog posts ipcontent articles etc link them to their google profile?

And how can they select which ones they want linked as per the options available in this link posted below

http://www.moneymakingexperts.org/f12/claim-google-authorship-your-forum-threads-497/

Can't find any documentation on this whatsoever at invision - can you post the links please as this will be a deal maker for the new project plus existing sites.

Thanks,

Can't find any documentation on this whatsoever at invision

Because this has nothing to do with us. :smile: You can't do it within our software.

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1408986&expand=option2

After a quick read it LOOKS like you have to

1) Add a link to your Google+ profile in your about me or signature

2) Go to your Google+ profile and link back to your forum profile

• 2 months later...

Because this has nothing to do with us. :smile: You can't do it within our software.

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1408986&expand=option2

After a quick read it LOOKS like you have to

1) Add a link to your Google+ profile in your about me or signature

2) Go to your Google+ profile and link back to your forum profile

that looks quite feasible thanks

• 1 month later...

Every post contains the tag "author" which points to the profile page.

In theory, adding a link from the profile page to Google+ profile should make it work.

The problem is that the profile page is hidden from Google by default, only registered members can view profile pages.

(Creating a link from my signature to Google+ page worked fine)

Any ideas on how to implement that without asking forum members to add the link in their signature?

Every post contains the tag "author" which points to the profile page.

In theory, adding a link from the profile page to Google+ profile should make it work.

The problem is that the profile page is hidden from Google by default, only registered members can view profile pages.

(Creating a link from my signature to Google+ page worked fine)

Any ideas on how to implement that without asking forum members to add the link in their signature?

Not really - you kind of have to ask the user for the link to the profile somewhere. You could possibly use a custom profile field and then perhaps make it hidden in topic view (but still in the source code).

Not a good idea. If you've been following the Google forums, doing so may classify your forum as a blog rather than a forum.

Why is this? Probably because rel=author is for authors who are writing articles. It's not about Google tagging someone as an author to every "thanks" and "yeah, agree" comment made on a forum. I would highly advise not doing this even if you think you'll be able to game the system by having your posts show up with little icons.

Not a good idea. If you've been following the Google forums, doing so may classify your forum as a blog rather than a forum.

Why is this? Probably because rel=author is for authors who are writing articles. It's not about Google tagging someone as an author to every "thanks" and "yeah, agree" comment made on a forum. I would highly advise not doing this even if you think you'll be able to game the system by having your posts show up with little icons.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Can you share the link to this discussion/article on the Google forums?

The mod mentioned on the other forum ( http://www.moneymakingexperts.org/f12/claim-google-authorship-your-forum-threads-497/ )gives you full control on what you are trying to claim which should be ok if you are only using it for the

correct type content you start.

Also it does't apply any authorship to the replies

If it was only used for IPcontent articles and the blog section, would that be ok? Or does google look at the site as a whole?

Take a look at the thread from Dani web. She was not happy about the way it worked. I also don't think that authorship is supposed to be used for forum posts and it just doesn't look right, e.g. every 15-25 word post that comes up as if it was an article along with an author icon.

I'd need to see it work for even once community and I have yet to see any forum come up in the SERPs using this technique. I'm keeping an open mind about this but I think it's not a good idea. I do think it's an excellent idea for articles that come out of IP.C.

Archived