Community

alekos

Hosting: Allowed warez,adult?

IPS End User License Agreement

You may not:

* permit other individuals to use the Software except under the terms listed above
* reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works based on the Software for distribution or usage outside your web site
* use the Software in such as way as to condone or encourage terrorism, promote or provide pirated Software, or any other form of illegal or damaging activity
* modify and/or remove any copyright notices or labels on the Software on each page (unless copyright output removal license is purchased) and in the header of each script source file
* distribute the Software
* distribute individual copies of files, libraries, or other programming material in the Software package
* distribute or modify proprietary graphics, HTML, or CSS packaged with the Software for use in Software applications other than Invision Power Board or web sites without written permission from IPS
* modify the software to function in more than instance or location (URL, domain, subdomain, etc.) from a single set of source program files unless each location is separately licensed

So, if one purchased hosting from a country like Honk Kong or Russia, where warez linking is allowed, would it be possible to purchase and use the IPB software to host a warez community?

If you run the IPB software of on your own server I don't think it matters what you use it for. On the IPB hosting service they could actually say no though with good reasoning.

So, if one purchased hosting from a country like Honk Kong or Russia, where warez linking is allowed, would it be possible to purchase and use the IPB software to host a warez community?

Possible. Sure. Hosting it anywhere is "Possible" to some degree.

Legal - No. I don't think so.

It seems it doesn't matter where you are anymore:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/01/explainer-how-can-the-us-seize-a-hong-kong-site-like-megaupload/

Believe Lindy has answered that, the End User License Agreement states:

You may not use the Software in such as way as to condone or encourage terrorism, promote or provide pirated Software

Possible. Sure. Hosting it anywhere is "Possible" to some degree.

Legal - No. I don't think so.

It seems it doesn't matter where you are anymore:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/01/explainer-how-can-the-us-seize-a-hong-kong-site-like-megaupload/

I'm not sure I see your point. Megaupload had servers in the USA too, not just in Hong Kong. That's the reason for which US government could shut the site down.

I'm not sure I see your point. Megaupload had servers in the USA too, not just in Hong Kong. That's the reason for which US government could shut the site down.

Actually no they didnt, however they did use paypal, and also to a point google ads. Both of which are american and therefore under US law. Also as stated in the link kindly posted above, the juristiction falls in the country which the service is used, and not in the country where its hosted. Therefore given it was used in the US more than anywhere else in the world, using US domain suffixes, listed at the top of all major US search engines with mainly american accounts. I think that would pretty much give them the right to kick their backsides in an american fashion.

I'll be honest, I am completely confused as to why you would come onto a site in which makes its profits by developing its own software to ask if they will allow you to use their software to reduce the profits of companies such as their own. Seems a tad illogical to me.

In summary, we do not allow our software to be used to promote illegal activities, including warez (regardless of whether warez linking is allowed in the individual jurisdiction your site is physically hosted at). If a license is purchased from us and then subsequently used to promote illegal sharing of copyrighted material, your license is likely to be suspended (which means you can no longer use the software or you could face legal action).

As already mentioned, we have no problem with the software being used to share legal adult material.

I hope this clears the question up. :) Please feel free to open a new topic if you have any further questions.