Make Security Messages in Admin CP Clearer

miraclesun

Even after updating with a security patch, I always see the message "A patch has been released to address a potential security issue..." etc. Why not just simply have "This message will be dismissed after ___" because it's confusing logging into the Admin CP and thinking "Wait, is there another one?" or "Did I actually update?"

I also always see many threads in the IP.Board support area saying "I still see the message even though I updated." It's just a small clarity issue. Nothing big, but it's just an easy way to clear up confusion.

I suggest they add a Date of when they posted the Security Message.

IP.Board Bulletin - 25th March 2013

A patch has been released to address a potential security issue discovered in IP.Board. Click here to read more and to download the patch.

IPS have even said in the security release topic that "When you apply the security update the bulletin in your AdminCP will still display. We keep the bulletin in place for at least a week after a security release." so they don't hide the fact it will still be there after applying it. Users should really read the whole topic and then they will not freak / complain when they have applied the fix that it still shows the warning.

I will agree with adding the security release date though to the warning.

If you applied a security patch, and there was another one prior to the message being cleared, I would venture a guess that IPS would change that message to make it clear that there was ANOTHER patch that needed to be applied. It could go either way with the date, The topic they are linking to has all of the information.

As with any security release such as this, the message is nearly always left in place for at least a week. I seem to recall one that stayed up for nearly 2 weeks before it was removed.

Not all board admins log into their admin panel daily. The message needs to remain there for a reasonable period of time...

• Management

I suggest they add a Date of when they posted the Security Message.

That's a good idea and we'll do that from now on.

Security bulletins will be handled differently in 4.0. We will also post them on the front-end (ONLY for admins, of course) as we often get complaints "I don't login to my admincp for days, weeks sometimes!" But I'll be sure we have a way to at least dismiss the bulletin once applied.

Thanks for the suggestions.

IPS have even said in the security release topic that "When you apply the security update the bulletin in your AdminCP will still display. We keep the bulletin in place for at least a week after a security release." so they don't hide the fact it will still be there after applying it. Users should really read the whole topic and then they will not freak / complain when they have applied the fix that it still shows the warning.

I will agree with adding the security release date though to the warning.

If you applied a security patch, and there was another one prior to the message being cleared, I would venture a guess that IPS would change that message to make it clear that there was ANOTHER patch that needed to be applied. It could go either way with the date, The topic they are linking to has all of the information.

As with any security release such as this, the message is nearly always left in place for at least a week. I seem to recall one that stayed up for nearly 2 weeks before it was removed.

Not all board admins log into their admin panel daily. The message needs to remain there for a reasonable period of time...

+ rhysc21

I don't log into my admin panel daily, I do read the topics, and I am not freaking out or complaining. It is just easy to forget about and it wouldn't hurt to add in an extra sentence being a little clearer, especially when with almost every patch I see many threads with people being confused. And in this particular case, I hadn't logged into my admin CP for a while and I was like "Hmm, did I update or...?"

That's a good idea and we'll do that from now on.

Security bulletins will be handled differently in 4.0. We will also post them on the front-end (ONLY for admins, of course) as we often get complaints "I don't login to my admincp for days, weeks sometimes!" But I'll be sure we have a way to at least dismiss the bulletin once applied.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks, that's perfect. :smile:

Archived