(M34) News System

Michael.J

(M34) News System

This is the legacy IP.Board 3.x version. View the new IP.Board 4.x version here.

News application allows you to add news for your community. Includes support for news categories and comments.
Click here to read my IPS Marketplace purchase guide before purchasing.

Keep up to date with DevFuse mod development and releases.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Feature List:

• Create discussion topics for newly created news items.
  • Integration with IPB share links, so news can be shared by members.
  • Built in support for IPB comments feature.
  • Group permissions for viewing, adding, updating and moderating news.
  • News categories and subcategories to organize news entries.
  • Optional RSS feed, including support for individual RSS feeds for each news category.
  • Integration with IPB reputation feature.
  • Integration with IPB follow feature, including the option to follow news entries or news categories.
  • Sidebar block for displaying the latest news on board index.
  • Included portal blocks for displaying sidebar news and main news entries.
  • Included IP.Content sidebar block for latest news.
  • Support for the IPB search feature, including view new content support.

On the news portal page are the news items abbreviated or is the full news item shown.

Would be better if it was cut-off and the admin could choose the length of news item to be shown.

Assume this portal page is different to any portal page showing as a home page?

Could you give me a little more detail and compare/contrast between using this and IP.Content articles or a news block that pulls forum posts + a little extra data?

I'm looking to make a better home page and while I like IP.Content, I'm putting too much time into a front page where I'm custom doing every single block because there just isn't many resources for IP.Content. If I can utilize a nice news page and all the apps/hooks in the marketplace for the index, I'm wanting to go that route.

Basically, just looking for more detail about this app is all :)

On the news portal page are the news items abbreviated or is the full news item shown.

Would be better if it was cut-off and the admin could choose the length of news item to be shown.

Full news will be displayed. I'll save this idea and include it in the next bug fix update. (If needed sooner, this is something I can easily provide a quick template edit for.)

The Portal takes other news sources from the forums and displays it in the Portal. The News System was designed to allow you to add news directly to it. I used the Portal's style in some places but going forward, each will be developed to suit there respective roles.

Could you give me a little more detail and compare/contrast between using this and IP.Content articles or a news block that pulls forum posts + a little extra data?

I'm looking to make a better home page and while I like IP.Content, I'm putting too much time into a front page where I'm custom doing every single block because there just isn't many resources for IP.Content. If I can utilize a nice news page and all the apps/hooks in the marketplace for the index, I'm wanting to go that route.

Basically, just looking for more detail about this app is all :smile:

Honestly IP.Content is going to be a lot more powerful, I only intend this app to be a basic News application. v2 just brings everything up to scratch and adds a lot of features I promised. It's hard for me to be objective, so if you would like I can set you up a demo board so you can have a better play with the features?

• 1 month later...

What's the contents of your "Topic Template" setting? Are you using the %link% quick tag to link to your news article?

This is what has been in that area since I got it:

<strong class='bbc'>View News Entry</strong>

This is also the same thing you have in the Video System that works fine. Just not sure why it is not showing a link at all for this. Do I need to have it show %link% instead?

This is what has been in that area since I got it:

<strong class='bbc'>View News Entry</strong>

This is also the same thing you have in the Video System that works fine. Just not sure why it is not showing a link at all for this. Do I need to have it show %link% instead?

Try adding just the %link% by itself, you can edit 1 news item to see the change reflected.

To rule out any editor issues, what version of IPB are you using?

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

Loving the News System. Improves the standard one given.

One thing though is how do I have a compacted version of the news stories placed in there on the main news page and portal page so the users have to click a link to read more with possibly ratings and how many comments it has? Also, how can I make one main story and two columns underneath it?

Thanks. Keep up the good work.

One thing though is how do I have a compacted version of the news stories placed in there on the main news page and portal page so the users have to click a link to read more with possibly ratings and how many comments it has? Also, how can I make one main story and two columns underneath it?

There is an IPB function that can truncate the news story, the only fall back is that it can't keep formatting. If you open skin_news > newsPortal

Find:

{$r['message']}

Replace With:

{IPSText::truncate( IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->stripAllTags( strip_tags( $r['message'], '<br>' ) ), 200 )}

Save. Then you just change the 200 figure to however many characters you want to show.

Currently a mixed layout for news articles is not supported. It's not something I can easily provide an edit to add either.

So far I'm loving the news system. Only have a few concerns/gripes so far.

- No ability to add and/or edit sideblocks and no forum topics sidebar. Seems like those that are using the news system are using it as a main page. Not having the ability to customize the sidebar is a bit tough.

- Seems to be some image size and alignment issues with avatars in the news system when using the mobile theme.

So far the only additional features i would drool over would be the ability to use a set of pre-defined images or shared attachments similar to classic portals and the ability to pin news articles.

- No ability to add and/or edit sideblocks and no forum topics sidebar. Seems like those that are using the news system are using it as a main page. Not having the ability to customize the sidebar is a bit tough.

How complex will these blocks need to be? I don't know if you've seen the Portal blocks but would something like that help?

- Seems to be some image size and alignment issues with avatars in the news system when using the mobile theme.

So far the only additional features i would drool over would be the ability to use a set of pre-defined images or shared attachments similar to classic portals and the ability to pin news articles.

Do you mind taking a screenshot if you can and will take a look.

Attachment support is planned but I will have to think about pre-defined images. I assume this would be a list of images that an admin would set for each category?

The blocks issue isn't a deal-breaker for me IMO. I do however personally feel that a forums discussions block is very important. For people like myself who are moving members away from the portal and onto a dedicated news page, giving them a block with the latest forum threads is an important way to bring traffic back to the forums after reading an article.

As for the rest of the blocks, I simply wrote them into the templates for now.

I've attached sceenshots of both the news index and replies using mobile. As you can see, the avatars appear in various sizes in the news section. The replies are also quite off. Generally the second reply usually shows up with an indent. Quotes are also off by quite a bit.

I've also notice a few changes with the additions you sent me. Again, these aren't huge issues IMO but there are something you might want to consider if you plan on improving the app to forum sync. If Members in moderation have their posts approved on the news, their posts do not show up approved on the forums and vice versa.

Another issue is that members who post in the news section do not receive notifications if someone quotes their response, if the option is enabled in their usercp.

post-187386-0-60387000-1374592702_thumb.

post-187386-0-90441800-1374592710_thumb.

You want the same recent topics hook that appears in the forum sidebar? That should be relatively easy to copy across in the News, remind me and will put together something for you first thing need week.

Regarding the comments, the News System now uses IPB's rebuild in comments functions. I'll check but they may not offer support for the ip.board mobile skin.

• 1 year later...

Hello Mike,

I have found a strange problem with the news system running with http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4643-ipblounge-applications-system/ . It seems all public links within the news system will direct to this application on my website. I have disabled the application system for now but will likey need this enabled soon. 

How can I troubleshoot this ? 

Also you mentioned back in 2013 ...

"Full news will be displayed. I'll save this idea and include it in the next bug fix update. (If needed sooner, this is something I can easily provide a quick template edit for.) " 

Was this added ? I would like this for my portal page as the news portal block takes up too much room .. See here http://wee.my/Ft5X

I have found a strange problem with the news system running with http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4643-ipblounge-applications-system/ . It seems all public links within the news system will direct to this application on my website. I have disabled the application system for now but will likey need this enabled soon. 

Also you mentioned back in 2013 ...

Was this added ? I would like this for my portal page as the news portal block takes up too much room .. See here http://wee.my/Ft5X

​I'm sorry for the delay, I was positive a reply was posted after I saw your post in the Portal discussion topic.

I will need board access to see why this is happening. There might be a case where the links are shared in either of the apps. I don't have access to that app so can only guess at this point without taking a look.

I'll need a bit more context to that post as that was a few years ago. Let me know what your trying to achieve and might already have a block for it.

Are refunds possible ? 

​You'll need to check with IPS as I can't control refunds.

Edited by Mike John

Hello Mike,

Here's the context, A simple search of this 18 post thread would show you where I pulled the snippet from. 

Posted 2 Apr 2013 · Report post

On 4/1/2013, 7:10:20, .Ian said:

Full news will be displayed. I'll save this idea and include it in the next bug fix update. (If needed sooner, this is something I can easily provide a quick template edit for.)

The Portal takes other news sources from the forums and displays it in the Portal. The News System was designed to allow you to add news directly to it. I used the Portal's style in some places but going forward, each will be developed to suit there respective roles.

On 4/1/2013, 11:51:34, Dylan Riggs said:

Basically, just looking for more detail about this app is all :smile:

Honestly IP.Content is going to be a lot more powerful, I only intend this app to be a basic News application. v2 just brings everything up to scratch and adds a lot of features I promised. It's hard for me to be objective, so if you would like I can set you up a demo board so you can have a better play with the features?

​Here is a template edit that should truncate it using the existing portal setting (Topic post truncate). Open ACP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > skin_news_external > mainNewsTemplate

Find:

{$r['message']}

Replace With:

<if test="$this->settings['portal_topic_truncate']">
                    {IPSText::truncate( IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->stripAllTags( strip_tags( $r['message'], '<br>' ) ), intval( $this->settings['portal_topic_truncate'] ) )}
                     <div class='ipsPad_half'>
                         &nbsp;<a href='{parse url="app=news&amp;do=view&amp;id={$r['nid']}" seotitle="{$r['seo_title']}" template="viewnews" base="public"}' class='right clearfix'><span class='ipsButton_secondary'>Read More</span></a>
                     </div>
                <else />{$r['message']}</if>

Save. If you need me to apply it, just let me know. Regarding the conflict with the other application, I will need board access to troubleshoot it further.