DevRegan

[IPBLounge] Topic Covers

%7Boption%7D

File Name: [IPBLounge] Topic Covers

File Submitter: DevRegan

File Submitted: 27 Feb 2013

File Category: User and Social Engagement

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.4.x

Topic Covers adds a touch of web 2.0 on your board.

It lets your members display the topics list in different visual styles that can also replace Invision Power Board one.
Version 1.0 has the Dynamic Image Grid Visual style already included, made famous by Pinterest, although many other visual styles will come in the future. You are welcome to suggest us visual styles that you like :smile:

Every security check is made to make sure members can view the topics list and read the topics.

Other features include:

• Infinite scrolling: the app automatically loads new pages while scrolling
  • Custom sort orders for each forum you want it to be enabled
  • Control who can view/edit covers
  • Inline topic reading, without leaving the topics list
  • Cache: everytime a new topic is created, the app will get its cover, in order to make everything faster
  • Light app, most of the job is made by the client side
  • Many other features available and to come!

Get it now!

here to download this file

Very cool! Might try it out!

Does each topic need to set it's topic cover? Or can that be done automatically?

What if a topic doesn't have an image?

In each forum category, you can set a default image for that specific category. So if a poster doesn't include an image, it will post that forum's default image instead.

I there is an image attached to the topic it will pick it up. However, for pre-existing topics you will will have to select the pre-existing images manually (done via ACP and it is really fast to do). New topics after installing the application will pick up the images automatically.

The size of images is 220 px in width, however, in future releases you will be able to change it if you want :smile:

If you set YES in "Get Only Cached Covers" in the settings panel, the app won't take covers belonging to topics created before the installation of the app. This will make it go a lot faster because the app already knows the cover url and its exact size. But, as Legeam correctly said, you can cache them on your acp, which is faster, or let your users/moderators do that on the public side.

If you set NO, everytime the list is called, the app will search for linked/attached images on every topic that does not have a cached cover, making it go a little slower (but it really depends on your server). :smile:

Oh, and if you remove a topic, don't worry about its cached cover. Everyday at 3:30 am (when the number of members connected is very low), the app will look for deleted topics and will automatically delete everything belongin to that topic (cached covers and thumbnails, if one).

:smile:

I'm very tempted to buy the app. However, the forums I want to add it to have 1000+ topics in them already - most of them with a cover image. If there is a way to have the cron job pick up the images, that would be very useful for me (and others, I believe). Is that what "recache" does already (there was no screenshot)?

Or, have a page that a pulls in 20+ topics at a time, providing cover image suggestions, and allow the user to approve them in batches.

Another option, if possible, would be for the page to pick up the title of the topic and make it into a pseudo image (a large image with big fonts, truncating where it's too long).

Lastly, would your app be able to do something like "Best of" for Vanilla Forums? http://vanillaforums.org/bestof/everything in the future?

Just throwing around some ideas since the app has so much potential! :)

Caching the covera is not required, although it is extremely recommended, in order to fasten page loading. If you have 1000+ topics in one forum, you could disable the "Get cached only" setting, until you cache all of them. I'm currently thinking to add a task, that will run every night that automatically caches uncached covers.

For the other questions, everything you said is already being tested. :)
I will let you updated :)

For the other questions, everything you said is already being tested. :smile:

Does this mean you've already implemented them and are testing then? :) If so, I can't wait until your next release.

Any chance I can get any cover linked, included in the message? I love the look, but my community members are a little baffled as tehy are coming into the messages form various entry points, outside of the actual specific forum, so they hit a message, with no picture and are a bit stumped at the conversation.

Know what I mean?

You know the message part, not the cover part. When someone enters a link, from somewhere other than clicking on the cover picture, they are presented with only the message, no picture.

That make sense?

Would it be possible to add an template which integrates more with the Default desingne

post-184544-0-48108700-1362346887_thumb.

It should place the grid on this white area which is there in the default style.

I would like it to look it like being in the default Forumview but replace the everything like the buttons and the Topiclist with the grid. (Or maybe leave one of those black buttons to switch back to the default view.)

Would that be even doable?

Well, the application creates an alternative way to display topics, I didn't want to make it look too much like invision power's default visual style. You may copy those buttons and create them by yourself on skin settings. As of now, I'd like to add other features as I have other priorities. Thank you for your suggestion, anyway :)

To switch back to the classic visual style, you can click the second round button, on the bottom right menu :)

Hi,

Just bought it and am going through enabling my forums and recache button

For one of my forums it is giving this error.

Warning: Division by zero in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsiteurl.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php on line 219

Warning: Division by zero in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsiteurl/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php on line 219

Hi,

When viewing my forum I am getting a bunch of errors aswell like this

Warning: Division by zero in /usr/www/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php on line 219

Warning: Division by zero in /usr/www/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php on line 219

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php:219) in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php:219) in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php:219) in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php:219) in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/applications_addon/other/tcovers/sources/classes/lib.php:219) in /usr/www/virtual/mywebsite.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

Hi,

No they are populated,

And it is not happening with all the forums - only some so looking for differences now.

Some of the forums causing the issue have unapproved topics so I thought they might be causing the issue so I approved 2 unapproved topics in one of the forums but it still got the same errors after.

Unless I need to recache something when doing that?