IP.Board 4.0 Wishlist

Aussie Cable

I dont know if this entails other addons.... But PLEASE do something with IPChat. Make it easier to be more customizable, such as allowing users to have there own fonts color without having to select it everytime they want to type something. Make permissions better, such as making it so you cant kick a admin etc. Also something else, an ignore feature that ignores if a person is chatting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better search functionality. No matter what I look for (especially on this site in the documentation area) I get a ton of unrelated results and never even find what I'm looking for. (enough to be noticed, so it's not just the same as searching in search engines and whatnot). Also the design needs to be rethought because, for one thing, putting the help link at the bottom isn't a good diea for forum software which is more likely to have someone eneding to use it at some point.

• 4 months later...

In addition, things I would like to see in 4.0:

• "Delete" button in own last post, if theres no further replies yet (regular user) - my board users have requested this way tooooo much, think they type before think;
  • Market options - sell, buy, exchange option in topic creation and button to mark topic as sold (I know I know theres hook for this, but I dont like hooks) + required fields before publish - theres many forums out there having market category;
  • "Update Topic" or "Bump Topic" button by custom rules (theres hook as well but it's not working for all users) - I'm quite tired that users have reply "UP" if they want to update topic, after couple of months theres 3 pages of "UP" posts out there;
  • As I have market category, I would like to see feedback option in users profile (positive and negative system with comments) - it's like what every user thinks about you and 5-star rating isn't good enough for me, would like to see "positive", "neutral" and "negative" options and ability to change comment;
  • And site search - actually I cant find anything relevant with it!

The wishlist has some great ideas but I chuckled at the 'make administrator posts uneditable by moderators'. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea but think about that for a minute. Who would be dumb enough or arrogant enough to edit a posted message made by the admin? The admin is the ultimiate authority and I have a hard time thinking that any moderator would be ignorant enough to make that kind of call. If anything, yoou ask the admin about it, you don't edit his or her message.

:lol:

It would be akin to an IPS moderator editing the post of one of the administrators. YUK YUK! :rofl:

IPS, howabout adding functionality for regular members to configure their own layout for the forums. As administrators, the forum management tool allows us to drag forums in any order we desire so why not add that same kind of functionality for regular members through through their user control panel or "My Settings"?

One stop place is sometimes better.

It's really not....

Reading a 30 page topic to find a useful suggestion on page 23 just isn't realistic. "All in one" feature suggestion topics largely get overlooked. It's a sad reality, but it's just difficult to come back and find things in them down the road when we need to, so unless the feature idea really stuck in someone's head...it'll probably be overlooked when we're researching later on.

But we've said this a thousand times and can't really do much more than that.

It's really not....

Reading a 30 page topic to find a useful suggestion on page 23 just isn't realistic. "All in one" feature suggestion topics largely get overlooked. It's a sad reality, but it's just difficult to come back and find things in them down the road when we need to, so unless the feature idea really stuck in someone's head...it'll probably be overlooked when we're researching later on.

But we've said this a thousand times and can't really do much more than that.

Brandon, that is why I don't allow exceptionally long topics on my forums, I've been capping most topics off at 15-20 pages.

Am I missing something here?

9666543228_39b0cd39d6_o.png

I don't understand why I can't start a topic, and get feedback from customers (who use the same forum software as I do) about their thoughts, about my suggestions.

Obviously it is way too much to ask, so please close the topic, I am sick of getting emails about it being such a bad idea, I won't ever start a topic that involves feedback about my suggestions again, if it is that difficult to get a topic flowing here.

It is very clear to me - that IPS is not interested in hearing about feedback on customer thoughts in one thread that spans a whole 2 pages.

Please close this topic! It is clear that is what you want :sad:

Please calm down :) Brandon didn't say this 2 page topic is too long for him to possibly read, he said that ideas posted in 'all in one' feature topics, of which we've had many in the past, are difficult to track and prioritize.

I'm not sure how you extrapolated that we don't want to hear feedback, based on his post.

I feel that IPB's permission system is too "over the place". XenForo has a very straight forward, long list of "Allow, Deny, Pass", which saves a ton of headaches later on. In IPB, you have very grouped together permissions (I'm talking about how several things are in one setting, and many settings in one group). It's chaotic, and I have issues once every blue moon trying to fixing permission conflicts.

I havent read the whole thread here but picked up on this when browsing

I came from vB (years worth) and find the IPB 3.x.x permissions so much better than vB

As for Xen - I have not tried it but from your description Allow - Deny - Pass it looks similar to vB (and they were vB developers after all) so i may be wrong but i prefer the IPB a million times compared to the vB system

But like i said not tried Xen

A better group promotion should be implemented as well. Mainly to add features such as;

- promotion based on time in that group rather than time joined. Example, if the user was in the Staff Group for over 1 yr then promote him.

- promotion based on how many times a member been in that group. Example, if a member was apart of the STAFF Group for 12 times or 1 year then promote him.

- promotion based on rep.

Yes, I explicitly quoted the person I was responding to. I said nothing (at all) about the original suggestion, nor was I saying anything about this topic specifically. :)

I was simply clarifying to someone who suggested having all feature suggestions in a single topic is sometimes better that this isn't generally the case for us.

Archived