IPB Docs Really Do Need Work

raindog308

Went to reinstall IPB after a hiatus. Latest/greatest of the various apps.

Read the Installation Guide linked to in the installed. Did all of the CHMOD steps and checked my work.

Problem 1: A half dozen of the directories listed there don't exist after unzipping, even for products I am installing. For example, blog/headers.

Click Next...

Warning: File or directory is not writeable: "XXX/uploads/content_templates", please CHMOD via FTP

Warning: File or directory is not writeable: "XXX/public/ipc_blocks", please CHMOD via FTP

Problem 2: Neither of those dirs are specified in the CHMOD guide. CHMOD them to what, we wonder.

Of course, even where the Installation Guide does specify things, they're incorrect. Some of those CHMODs are supposed to be CHMOD -Rs apparently.

Problem 3: And of course, even with all of that

2013/02/01 04:00:49 [error] 11664#0: *12 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/d08bd4b60b845a379b5e52420397f99f.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363

PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/9eaaf1eb6f67b3a984685f8b07ae3ce4.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363

PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/ec8ed37a370018a73c9e31b865ab291d.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363

PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/720dc9d66caa1f72a747761b7de803cf.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/html/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363

PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/282b13f9fffe5e1213c30bfea713851b.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363

PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/af58a1882590970c98d317b004f10f98.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363

PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/XXX/uploads/content_templates/3e13b82b8b36022ea705a40b050f4aeb.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /XXX/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/functions.php on line 363" while reading response header from upstream, client: XXX, server: XXX, request: "POST /admin/

Ah, guess it was supposed to be a chmod -R.
I really wish IPB would invest a little more time in documentation.

DEVs have stated multiple times... Tell them what, specifically, you're looking for documentation for and they can write it up.

Your examples are a start. If you can elaborate on exactly what you're looking for they have a better chance of making it.

The doc simply hadn't been updated to account for recent changes. We perform installations many more times than the average client internally here (since we provide free installs for new clients), so I don't think the comment "tell them to try to install their own product" is very relevant myself. :) Trust me...we do.

I've updated the doc to resolve the discrepancy with the directories you've highlighted.

DEVs have stated multiple times... Tell them what, specifically, you're looking for documentation for and they can write it up.

Your examples are a start. If you can elaborate on exactly what you're looking for they have a better chance of making it.

But there have been many posts about lack of documentation, particularly in relation to IP.Content, but this rarely results in any any action.

For example, the documentation in relation to IP.Content is all over the place. You have a section called 'suite guides' with
an IPC heading but no guide. Then there are 'Community Articles' which contains a right old hotch potch of articles with a very narrow focus.
Finally there is 'old documentation' which has guides on IPC in three different sections - including a section called 'new documents' (new
documents within a section called old documentation? - go figure). Its not clear whether 'old documentation' is still valid, partly valid or irrelevant for current software.

The IP.Content documents in particular do not form a set of integrated documents but appear to be rather a collection of random articles on some specific aspects of the software. This is partly why the same questions about IP.Content keep coming up time and time again. Perhaps all the information is in the documents but it is very hard to find.

Until the documentation is structured in a logical way with clarity as to which versions of software it applies to it is very hard even to suggest what is missing.

Archived