IPS Community Suite - Will there (hopefully) be some directory/structure changes?

danbo

With IP.Board becoming 'just another' product under the IPS Community Suite umbrella, will there be out-of-the-box support to put IP.Board in site.com/forums, IP.Nexus in site.com/store, IP.Content in site.com/portal, etc, instead of having everything default under /forums? It always bugged me that all these great extra add-ons are falling under /forums unless one is willing to do various workaround methods.

Just wondering, but I think the change is a logical one, and would be appreciated by many of us.

Keep up the great work!

You guys have done a pretty good job when it comes to SEO (i.e, supporting 301 redirects when you first started offering FURLs). I would hope that it wouldn't be too difficult to implement 301 redirects when the old URL space is accessed.

Do appreciate the response tho, very excited about what's next!

With IP.Board becoming 'just another' product under the IPS Community Suite umbrella, will there be out-of-the-box support to put IP.Board in site.com/forums, IP.Nexus in site.com/store, IP.Content in site.com/portal, etc, instead of having everything default under /forums? It always bugged me that all these great extra add-ons are falling under /forums unless one is willing to do various workaround methods.

Just to point this out, but it already is sort of like that. You could install it to the root of a site and when accessing a list of topics in a forum, the URL will be /forums. Reading a topic will be /topic, Nexus is /store, etc. The only change I could see being useful would be to place functions for apps within the same structure, so that reading a topic would be /forums/topic, for example. The only way something like Nexus would fall under /forums (ie, /forums/store) is if you installed it to /forums to begin with.

/gallery is under forums tho, as is blogs, downloads (and store by default as well).

Then that's because you installed everything at /forums.

Look at things here. Gallery, Blogs, etc aren't under the umbrella of /forums. It's because it was installed at the root of community.invisionpower.com. To make a slight change to what I said earlier, I would definitely be in favor of being able to access different apps from different subdomains. For example, www.domain.com would be the main site (ipc), forums.domain.com for the forums, store.domain.com for Nexus, etc.

Still though, if your conf_global.php file is located in domain.com/forums/ then that's why everything is located there.

Several years ago, I actually had blogs in the root directory, but then the structure of the Blog component was changed where this was no longer supported. My site is 10 years old, so that's why things are where they are. I'll have to check how to move blogs, gallery etc back into root, as I was not aware this could be easily done now.

When you install the add-ons, they all instruct you to upload the content to the forum directory, so that probably added to my confusion.

When you install the add-ons, they all instruct you to upload the content to the forum directory, so that probably added to my confusion.

As far as the PHP files are concerned, if everything is working for you, then you have the files uploaded as they need to be. Uploading them anywhere else would cause them to not work. Perhaps this will make it easier to grasp...

Wherever you have the conf_global.php and initdata.php files, that is the 'top' of your IPS suite. It doesn't matter if you have it at domain.com/ or domain.com/forums/ or domain.com/some/other/path/, everything will be attached to the end of that.

If your IPS suite is at domain.com/ then your URL's will be like this:
domain.com/forum/
domain.com/gallery/
domain.com/store/
domain.com/blogs/

If your IPS suit is at domain.com/forums/ then your URL's will be like this:
domain.com/forums/forum/
domain.com/forums/gallery/
domain.com/forums/store/
domain.com/forums/blogs/

If your IPS suite is at domain.com/some/other/path/ then your URL's will be like this:
domain.com/some/other/path/forum/
domain.com/some/other/path/gallery/
domain.com/some/other/path/store/
domain.com/some/other/path/blogs/

I think the confusion comes in when you think of the software as being forums first and then install it strictly as that, then consider the add-ons after that. It's easy to think like that since IP.Board was the initial product but when 3.0 came out, it was already moving in a direction of letting the apps be a bit more independent from each other. One way to get out of this way of thinking is to look at the suite as being nothing more than a core product that branches off. With the core at domain.com/ you would branch off to forum/ gallery/ store/ blogs/ and such. Mind you, not everything forum related would use the forum/ URL, as topics use topic/ for example.

The idea is that you're running a community, where you have community the forums (forum/ topic/), blogs (blogs/ blog/), etc.

Archived