Help me understand this licence renewal stuff

Maxxius

What if you dont want to go to version 4.0 and are happy with what you have, ours is now running well and what isn,t broke wont be getting fixed. So what will happen with updates for version 3.

I do not want to upgrade to v4 because it is not just the costing of the board software which is fair by the way, but its all the addons you need that are priced the same way now, some even more costly than the IPS Suite on their own, That alone makes IPS the most expensive board around today. This is my reason not to upgrade but to run with version 3.4.3 for the remainder of the time my forum lasts. Otherwise it will cost an absolute fortune to upgrade.

Will we still be able to keep version 3 support and updates by paying our licence

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if you dont want to go to version 4.0 and are happy with what you have, ours is now running well and what isn,t broke wont be getting fixed. So what will happen with updates for version 3.

I do not want to upgrade to v4 because it is not just the costing of the board software which is fair by the way, but its all the addons you need that are priced the same way now, some even more costly than the IPS Suite on their own, That alone makes IPS the most expensive board around today. This is my reason not to upgrade but to run with version 3.4.3 for the remainder of the time my forum lasts. Otherwise it will cost an absolute fortune to upgrade.

Will we still be able to keep version 3 support and updates by paying our licence

What are you talking about? There's no extra charge to upgrade to version 4, other than paying the renewal fees. It's not like vB, where you have to buy a whole new license for a new series. If anything, when version 4 comes out and you're still paying renewal fees for 3.4.x, you'll be wasting money because you could be upgrading to version 4 at no extra cost (only the renewal fees you're already paying anyway).

What Wolfie said, if you're paying your renewals for support, it costs you nothing to get the updated version. That's part of the renewals your paying.

You're welcome to stay on 3.4.x as long as you like. However, 3.4.x will eventually become EOL, End of life, meaning IPS will no longer support it. 3.1.x went EOL last year IIRC. Historically, IPS, supports the last 3 major branches. Which means 3.2.x will likely be EOL when 4.0 comes out.

Sorry for the confusion Wolfie I was referring to the extra addons we buy from the Marketplace as well as IPS Board that makes it the most expensive board on the market today. And thanks Aiwa I guess two more years will do us fine mate.

Depending on your attitude about things, even if it weren't for the add-ons, you might decide to hold off on upgrading anyway. Some people upgrade ASAP, others hold off until a couple of point releases, and some hold off until it's gone past the .0.x part of the series. Just a matter of what suits them.

Also, that doesn't make IP.Board expensive, it just means it has a more valuable modding community with it.

Just a correction - we typically support the last *2* major release versions. So 3.4.x support will be sunset around the time 4.1 comes out (we generally give a 6 month advance notice). This is a ways off, so I wouldn't consider it a major concern right now of course.

3.2 will be EOL on June 1, as was announced when 3.4 was released:

Lifetime licenses are no longer being offered.

The current license is a Standard License that has $25 renewals (for IP.Board, it's different for each app) every 6 months to keep the license active. A license being active gives you the benefits of support, software updates, IPS Extras, etc...

You are not obligated to keep your license active and can let it go inactive. You can continue to use your self-hosted inactive license, on your current version, as long as you wish. Should you want to upgrade, you would only be required to pay your $25 (for IP.Board, it's different for each app) renewal to reactivate the license to regain access to software updates / support / extras for 6 more months.

Archived