Help me understand this licence renewal stuff

Maxxius

• Management

0.o I am now extremely glad I did not attempt what I was considering to force a manual renewal by cancelling and renewing my suite... I'd have been out a full month+.

Seriously... is there no way to prepay a full suite with all apps for say 2 years? even by ticket? I understand the reasons given are to put a stop to cheating the system.... but what about all of us *not* looking to cheat it, just wanting to not have to worry about it?

and no... I'm not going to leave that sum in my account credit, thanks..... that is well over my comfort level regardless of security.

There's a disclaimer now that explains what happens if you proceed to deactivate products.

You can either leave an account credit, or simply leave a card on file (which does not store locally to us, it simply creates an authorize.net CIM profile) for automatic renewals.

We'd prefer not to do multi-term prepays. Even if you had every product we offer, there's a good chance we'll offer more within 2 years and then your suite license would be unbalanced with any additions. We devised this new system to keep things simple - much of which was based on customer feedback from individuals, small organizations and large organizations alike who didn't like flakey multiple renewals spread out throughout the year. The fact that we do not pro-rate reactivations is a necessary evil to prevent cheating the system -- the rest is merely for the sake of simplicity and to accommodate future suite plans.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A delayed deactivate is something we can explore, however.

I think it would be a good move, because as it is, it opens the chance for cheating. For example, latest version of Nexus comes out and after a week, there are very few bug reports and those reports are minor damage or wouldn't affect me anyways. I still have five months left on my suite. I decide that I've already downloaded all the files for the most recent release and so I cancel it. The rest of my suite is extended some because of it. Upon next renewal time, if there's a newer release, I reactivite it. Doing the same for the other apps, it wouldn't be hard to keep the latest versions of the software and then cancel to extend the suite part of the renewal. But simply keeping the app active until the end of the term vs extending, that would prevent that from happening.

• Management

I think it would be a good move, because as it is, it opens the chance for cheating. For example, latest version of Nexus comes out and after a week, there are very few bug reports and those reports are minor damage or wouldn't affect me anyways. I still have five months left on my suite. I decide that I've already downloaded all the files for the most recent release and so I cancel it. The rest of my suite is extended some because of it. Upon next renewal time, if there's a newer release, I reactivite it. Doing the same for the other apps, it wouldn't be hard to keep the latest versions of the software and then cancel to extend the suite part of the renewal. But simply keeping the app active until the end of the term vs extending, that would prevent that from happening.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Deactivating a product does not extend the renewal date.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Deactivating a product does not extend the renewal date.

Ooooh I looked at the screenshots wrong. I thought it was about the same package and saw one date, then a later date. Since it was referring to deactivating an app, I thought it was showing that it extended the time of the overall suite. Oooooooooooops.

At one time I kept all of my licenses up to date, I did this for years, but after years of extremely poor support (slow, not incompetent), and lack of updates, I found that I was wasting money keeping my licenses up to date. I have to wonder why others see no value in keeping their licenses up to date. Maybe IPB should focus on the reasons why customers see no value in keeping their licenses up to date. I like the idea of paying for the "suite" all at once though, would make it much easier to keep track of as I have far too many licenses already, and it's a PITA to keep track of what licenses are up to date and which are expired.

• Management

At one time I kept all of my licenses up to date, I did this for years, but after years of extremely poor support (slow, not incompetent), and lack of updates, I found that I was wasting money keeping my licenses up to date. I have to wonder why others see no value in keeping their licenses up to date. Maybe IPB should focus on the reasons why customers see no value in keeping their licenses up to date. I like the idea of paying for the "suite" all at once though, would make it much easier to keep track of as I have far too many licenses already, and it's a PITA to keep track of what licenses are up to date and which are expired.

It's been a while since you were last here. :) I think most find value in maintaining renewals - we're quite proud of that.

The problem is that this system don't promote development of other apps as ex ip.gallery. At last system I was renewing additional apps where there was any significant updates that makes them better. IP.Board is for me the only part of the suite that is supported and changes are really good but ex. ip.blog is virtually not changing over time (nothing important) and ip.gallery is changing to even worst that previous versions - and ip.staff seems not listening customers complaints about that (ex cattegories issue and others).

But now I will have to buy all apps even if there are not really good or important changes there - i can opt for not buy them, but ex. after 5months I will have to pay the same amount as now and have acces to it for only 1 month - PERFECT.

What I understood is in future I can not even use new version of IP.Board with not much older version of ip.gallery even if changes in gallery are so tiny that it wont cause compability issues.

Grate idea to rip off customers from their money for something that they wouldn't normally buy.

By the way Invision deactivate my suite and they trying to say that I did it by mistake. Waiting for single answer to a ticket takes so long that I've started to worry that their error would be solved before my suite really expire. :)

If you want to get more money just raise the price! not complicate system - making people think that the renewal (reactivation) price is for 6months - which is true only in one day out of 180.

But now I will have to buy all apps even if there are not really good or important changes there - i can opt for not buy them, but ex. after 5months I will have to pay the same amount as now and have acces to it for only 1 month - PERFECT.

If you mean renewals, you can opt to only renew one item or multiple items but not everything. Just if you want to add in another app down the road, you'll pay the reactivation fee for it to be covered for the remainder of that period. If you're one month away from the next renewal, I say, just wait until the renewal period and then include it. Simple enough.

IPS is migrating towards the apps being completely independent of one another but able to integrate with each other if available. Once that's complete, I'm sure you'll notice an increase in development of all the apps, as people start to buy just IP.Content or just IP.Blogs/IP.Gallery, etc. It won't happen overnight, but if my hunch is correct, when it happens, there will be a few more staff members working on development and more staff to handle support tickets and such. That will be a result of IPS growing because of increased sales (people won't HAVE to buy IP.Board, which may be discouraging some people from making a purchase but remove that requirement and they can sell the other apps, which will invite more buyers).

Just relax, IPS is out to make money, obviously, but they do their best to take care of their clients.

What I understood is in future I can not even use new version of IP.Board with not much older version of ip.gallery even if changes in gallery are so tiny that it wont cause compability issues.

This is not entirely true. We have not finalized plans for the upgrader just yet, but we won't actually stop you from using an application if it is out of date but works.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you cancel any future renewals on products, to avoid invoices?

If you click cancel, then you lose the ability to download or get support, so that is not an option, and I assume cancel does the same thing as 'deactivate' against each product?

Thanks.

Quick question , now we just need to deposit to our account prior to renewal date , right ?

I checked around but didn't see a place to renew licenses.

One more question , lets assume i don't want to renew chat license, i will only disable that product prior to renewal date right ?

First ? You can keep your paypal account on file and it will pull from their rather than having to worry about keeping a credit in your account here. Though, if they updated the system to pull from credit, you would just need to make sure you had available credit to cover your renewal prior to the renewal date...

Second ? You simply go into your account and 'cancel' the license. I'm not sure if it cancels, goes inactive, at that moment or if it just doesn't renew when it's time, though...

Quick question , now we just need to deposit to our account prior to renewal date , right ?

I checked around but didn't see a place to renew licenses.

If the item has expired or about to expire you should get an invoice. You can then pay this via a credit or debit card or PayPal. Or you can keep credit or a credit card on the account. This way invoices are settled automatically.

I am still confused by this 'reactivation fee' - it makes it sound like an additional fee to simply renew the support & download ability.

One more question , lets assume i don't want to renew chat license, i will only disable that product prior to renewal date right ?

No, my understanding is that if you do this, then that product will stop working from the date you cancel (for IP.Chat) or you will immediately lose access to downloads / support for other products.

Apart from putting a ticket to customer services, I am not sure how to not have a product renew if you have credit or a credit card on the account.

First ? You can keep your paypal account on file and it will pull from their rather than having to worry about keeping a credit in your account here. Though, if they updated the system to pull from credit, you would just need to make sure you had available credit to cover your renewal prior to the renewal date...

Second ? You simply go into your account and 'cancel' the license. I'm not sure if it cancels, goes inactive, at that moment or if it just doesn't renew when it's time, though...

AFAIK you can't put a PayPal account on file - has to be a credit or debit card.

I don't know what everyone is getting up in arms about.

I had IP.Downloads expire 5 days ago. IP. Board expired today, and IP. Content had been expired for a few months. I paid $50 and all of sudden all my products are on the same billing cycle. Now I just have to worry about 1 date every 6 months. This isn't complicated. Read the information you are given and stop making assumptions.

IPS isn't cheating anyone nor doing any black magic. Their system makes sense. Read the website. Read the client area. It all makes sense if you just read it.

I don't know what everyone is getting up in arms about.

I had IP.Downloads expire 5 days ago. IP. Board expired today, and IP. Content had been expired for a few months. I paid $50 and all of sudden all my products are on the same billing cycle. Now I just have to worry about 1 date every 6 months. This isn't complicated. Read the information you are given and stop making assumptions.

IPS isn't cheating anyone nor doing any black magic. Their system makes sense. Read the website. Read the client area. It all makes sense if you just read it.

I am happy for you that you have free time to read that much content just for making a renewal payment. What you don't get it is many of us are already extra booked guys and when it comes to payments , we just do and move to next step.

Here's how I see it

I purchased IPB in August 2012 and looks pretty but not much else.

IPB is all about the developers owners making money , the most in a short period of time correct?

If the paying public are paying $175 for IPB which in my eyes is expensive, pay every 6 months after that for upgrades support etc. where other places give free support and free upgrades and the software is free.

I have been using php Nuke evolution for years thought I would change to IPB because It was recommended as being a great product

really isn't, its so complex and difficult to handle for new people to IPB like myself its really not worth the money or the time

No wonder people go and use the nulled stuff, I can understand why now but its wrong and don't personally agree with nulled stuff

The support is really that that crash hot either I have waited for days at times to get support wen logging tickets and for the money

its costs , not good enough

My opinion

IPB is a good product, not worth what your charging, support is mediocre, 6 monthly updates is really a rip off

feel ripped off and thinking about going back to php its simple never been hacked, support and help is immediate and everywhere and FREE

IPB probably really don't care about what I say or if I leave but I have a lot of friends and clan members who are asking me abut IPB

Like other sin here I feel I'm getting ripped here...

Just as a point of reference, and i'm sure you're aware. You're not required to renew your license. You can still continue to use the version you have.

And as a client, even inactive, you still have access to the peer support forums here for assistance and doesn't cost you another penny.

IPB is a good product, not worth what your charging, support is mediocre, 6 monthly updates is really a rip off

6 months updates and support for $25 is actually pretty good in my eyes, you get the software updates AND unlimited support tickets for those 6 months, If you were to hire a third party service provider to help with your IPB, you'll be looking at more than $25 a month personally.

Here's how I see it

I purchased IPB in August 2012 and looks pretty but not much else.

IPB is all about the developers owners making money , the most in a short period of time correct?

If the paying public are paying $175 for IPB which in my eyes is expensive, pay every 6 months after that for upgrades support etc. where other places give free support and free upgrades and the software is free.

vB is $249 and you get lifetime updates for that version you buy with only 1 month of support. If you want extended support, then it's $49/month or $199/year. Want them to install or upgrade it for you? That's another $149. So yeah, I guess you could say something is expensive...

The default IPB provides you with a nice standard layout and the tools necessary to customize the look to your needs. It's not meant to be unique to you when you initially install it while everyone else has a default look to it. It's just not how it works.

I have been using php Nuke evolution for years thought I would change to IPB because It was recommended as being a great product

really isn't, its so complex and difficult to handle for new people to IPB like myself its really not worth the money or the time

You were given an accurate recommendation if you were told it's a great product.

The support is really that that crash hot either I have waited for days at times to get support wen logging tickets and for the money

its costs , not good enough

If you have (or had) any issues with support, you should contact Lindy about it.

My opinion

You're right, it's not worth what is being charge. At $175, it's a major steal for customers. Given that you only need to renew when your license has expired and you want/need ticket support or to get the latest version, even if it's a major new version and it's only $25, that is a HUGE deal in your favor.

feel ripped off and thinking about going back to php its simple never been hacked, support and help is immediate and everywhere and FREE

Um, IP.Board uses PHP. Did you mean PHPnuke? It's been hacked before.

http://pandalabs.pandasecurity.com/php-nuke-hacked-with-injected-iframe/

http://silverspam.net/showthread.php?7847-PHP-Nuke-Hacking-Tutorial

6 months updates and support for $25 is actually pretty good in my eyes, you get the software updates AND unlimited support tickets for those 6 months, If you were to hire a third party service provider to help with your IPB, you'll be looking at more than $25 a month personally.

OMG LOL... $25/month? OMG... That's funny. I'd love to find someone who would work for that little. Heck, even at $5/hour, as soon as you hit 5 hours worth of work, you're going over $25/month. Better hope that 5 hours per month is enough.

OMG LOL... $25/month? OMG... That's funny. I'd love to find someone who would work for that little.

Some people are willing to-do anything to earn cash, so yes some people who are not smart enough would only charge $25 a month lol

OMG LOL... $25/month? OMG... That's funny. I'd love to find someone who would work for that little. Heck, even at $5/hour, as soon as you hit 5 hours worth of work, you're going over $25/month. Better hope that 5 hours per month is enough.

I charge more than $25 / hr for custom work.

If that gives some perspective.

Time = money. You can't get everything for nothing.

I came over to IPB from PHPNuke w/ a phpbb forum in it. It had been hacked so many times it wasn't funny. The DB was in shambles. The moment I took over the site from the previous admin I converted it to IPB and haven't looked back.

Archived