Client advertising on this community.

Wolfie

Just had this thought and it could help not only clients but also potential new clients as well.

Allow everyone to purchase advertising on this community, with the restriction being one purchase per active license (and only one ad at a time). Give a choice of like 1,000 impressions or 100 clicks (or something else) and can only be a simple line of text, which would show at the top of each page. Another restriction would be that the destination site would have to be a site that is obviously running IPS software. Have it include, "Sponsored site running IPS software" so that it's rather obvious that it's not just some random advertising. For potential buyers/clients, it would be an easy way for them to see what sites are out there and could also be a way of showcasing what people have done with their sites. With it being text only, it wouldn't be very invasive or distracting, but at the same time would help to demonstrate a feature of the community suite by having it shown.

Restrictions.. One per license. One per client at a time. Must be a site that is obviously running IPS software. Site must be associate with at least one of their licenses (client can choose to use the 'credit' from other licenses to one site). License must be active during 'purchase' and the ad is suspended if the license becomes inactive for any reason and resumes when license is active again.

I know this likely won't happen but thought I'd toss it out there anyways.

No need for that. Just use banner exchanges, submit your website to search engines and use Google Adwords. There are a lot of ways to get your website out there. My site has become so saturated in Google that I don't worry about advertising.

No need for that. Just use banner exchanges, submit your website to search engines and use Google Adwords. There are a lot of ways to get your website out there. My site has become so saturated in Google that I don't worry about advertising.

The thought I had was to 1. have a small demonstration of the advertising feature, but scaled down (ie text only) so that it's there but it's minimal. You see it and know it's a feature and can be pointed out to those in Pre-Sales wanted to know if advertising is built in, but it's not distracting like some sites that have several image banners throughout the site. 2. gives potential buyers a chance to see sites that are using the IPS software. In a way, sort of like a showcase, and helps see a variety of communities without having to try to find a list to pick through. 3. when someone see's a sponsored site running IPS software and they decide to check it out, that new visitor may decide they like the site and decide to join up. So that's the benefit to current clients. Also a benefit to new clients, since they can get some link activity out there to help their site become known.

It's not really about trying to be "in your face" in an attempt to get visitors, but more of a way of letting clients participate in the demonstration of a feature, but helping to spread the load so it's changing over time. What better way to say that the IPS software supports advertising than to have a minimal demonstration of it that can be pointed out to those who ask about it? Bug tracker demonstrates the power of IP.Content, MP demonstrates IPD and also IPN, there are blogs and of course the gallery. With some exceptions, if someone want to 'reconstruct' the IPS community on their own site, they could. IPS has said in the past that they try to keep things as stock as possible, so that people see what they can do pretty much "out of the box." It would be another example of what can be done.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. It took me some time to get my site advertised with search engines or even listed. It takes hard work. But, it's also not IPS' job to advertise your website. Also, ensure that your website is unique and offers something that other websites and communities don't offer.

Archived