Manual Suite Renewal, give it back?

Marcher Technologies

I went to prepay my license for another six months a couple of days ago(it expires in Feb).

Only to realize, I cannot do any such thing through your store interface, though I *used* to be able to.

Please add this back? I decided to top off credit and leave it this time(after a full hour trying to locate a button I *know* was once there), but would very much appreciate the ability to manually extend my license before renewal time without cancelling it.

Yes, it is likely unusual to see this, but for criminy, take my money already?

That's what the topup feature is for :smile:

You add credit to your account and the license renewals will take that credit at renewal time.

..............so Instead of prepaying a year+ at a time as I once did, I have to leave account credit sitting there? :unsure:

I cannot really believe I have to ask you to take my money for my renewal now, much less the refusal, when it was an option, and one I enjoyed the use of. :hmm:

I have never before had a company/corporation/any sane individual refuse money....... yet here we are.

I topped off credit for six months, but up until realizing I could not actually manually renew, I *was* going to add a full year to my license.

so what about non-devs with no "credit" stuff here?

say a person gets a gift and wants to make sure they pay the fees and tries to do so months early to make sure the license is always covered.

are they now not allowed to?

and I have not looked to see if thats the case, just the way the replies seemed to read.

so what about non-devs with no "credit" stuff here?

say a person gets a gift and wants to make sure they pay the fees and tries to do so months early to make sure the license is always covered.

are they now not allowed to?

and I have not looked to see if thats the case, just the way the replies seemed to read.

Why do you think I am upset? I do *not* want to wait for the license to generate a renewal, I *want* to prepay so there is no chance of lapse.

I have hunted for this button that did exist twice now, hide nor hair of it exists, Charles response just proves I am not blind, and that somehow account credit is being considered a suitable replacement for manual renewal(it is not, these are not even close to the same thing)..

Why do you think I am upset? I do *not* want to wait for the license to generate a renewal, I *want* to prepay so there is no chance of lapse.

I have hunted for this button that did exist twice now, hide nor hair of it exists, Charles response just proves I am not blind, and that somehow account credit is being considered a suitable replacement for manual renewal(it is not, these are not even close to the same thing)..

oddly enough I was going to try to do this next month to make sure I am good as I (tentavely) may be getting funds to do so LOL

guess I need to build the app everyone wants and will pay for to build up credit.

guess I need to learn how to build an app or even code stuff :P

or not :)

but my post really was meant to augment yours, as I too thought I had seen manner to do it before but (TBH) I never paid it much attn.

until now..

If you have an account credit, it won't lapse. The invoice will automatically be paid with the credit on file.

If you have an account credit, it won't lapse. The invoice will automatically be paid with the credit on file.

..........you miss the point, still. I don't want the credit laying around, and to further, this actually blocks me from effectively renewing for a year.

So the answer to manual renewal is a flat 'no' then? I am not allowed to renew my license more than 6 months at a time?

I have been renewing yearly through manual renewal since I bought the license, and have never let it generate a renewal invoice automatically.

I am actually astounded you don't want my money early..... apparently that ends in favor of solely account credit?

I am not going to just leave a years credit on my account, if this is the 'way it is' I won't even bother to add more than six months, and may end up waiting for the generated invoice I never had to bother with before next time.

Since we made some changes to our license systems, it is no longer possible to extend your renewal date further than 6 months in the future.
For example, now that all applications share a single expiry date, someone could deactivate all but one of their applications, then renew for years, then reactivate all their applications (meaning they'd end up with loads of service time they hadn't paid for). This, and other reasons mean we had to change the way this is accommodated.

We are still however, more than happy to take payment early. You can do this here:

https://www.invisionpower.com/clients/index.php?app=nexus&module=clients&section=payouts

The payment made here is stored on your account (called your "Account Credit") - any renewal invoices will then be paid (in full or part) out of that. There is no chance of lapse.

There is absolutely no difference in practice of what this means. It simply means that now instead of saying "License expires: 1 year from now", it now says "License expires: 6 months from now" and "Account credit: $x". The credit is no more "just sitting there" than your license is ;)

It is important to note that this is completely independent from the Marketplace, which some people seem to have been confused about.

This system is not going to change, however, I must stress, that there is no loss of flexibility or functionality - simply a change in the way word and present things.

Why do you try to take my freedom on which application i want to renew or not ?

Highly possible i am planning not to renew Ip.Nexus license because it is encoded and while it is encoded , the script offers nearly nothing. I honestly find myself shocked every time i look at Ip.Nexus as a Magento EE license owner. I am also not planning to renew IP.Chat as after long discussions we agreed that it doesn't fit our boards needs. I would rather pay a developer and completely create separate Payment Gateways and Membership Subscription instead of using encoded Nexus that force me to use specific encoded versions to add additional load on my servers. If the script was half as powerful as Magento , i could think otherwise but compared to Magento Nexus is just a simple shopping card. I also find it strange that for Paid Subscriptions or Payment Gateways , you are required to purchase Nexus. Those should be core features but clearly for marketing Nexus IPB choose to move those to Nexus features.

But right now, i don't have option not to renew those.

If you are offering credit deposit , then please consider end users to choose which application to be automatically renewed or not. Or else the system is completely flawed as when we purchase licenses , we were offered separate renewal option for each license.

every time i look at Ip.Nexus as a Magento EE license owner.

Well, yeah... you're comparing a fairly basic shopping cart implementation with what is currently the de-facto e-commerce package... Nevermind that Magento has nearly 200 developers, or that it's owned by eBay, or that Enterprise Edition license costs are in excess of $14,000 per year. Not really cut from the same cloth.

Well, yeah... you're comparing a fairly basic shopping cart implementation with what is currently the de-facto e-commerce package... Nevermind that Magento has nearly 200 developers, or that it's owned by eBay, or that Enterprise Edition license costs are in excess of $14,000 per year. Not really cut from the same cloth.

Yes i do. Yearly 14k $ script has visible source but a small shopping card is not open source. You may love that method , i don't. One more addition , Magento Community is free of charge with no cost and has only couple less features compared to Magento EE. So instead of focusing the 14k support plan Magento EE has , you should focus on the feature set and visible source of Magento Community.

Couple additional corrections : Magento doesn't have 200 developers , i know most of them personally ;) Magento was huge even before Ebay purchased Magento because of the visible source. As it is one of the most advanced e-commerce solutions out there , third party developers interest was huge because e-commerce sites don't mind of investing to their websites. That's why Magento get bigger and bigger each other day. Now it is the leader script within e-commerce world. Without visible source , there was no way Magento could achieve this.

There lies the wrong choice of encoding IP. Nexus.

Additionally , IPB is not cheap. With my package it costs around 6-700$ per year .While other competitors have way lower prices.

But i always stated , as long as the product i use is a quality product and has good support , i don't mind paying for it.

But i will not pay for a script that is not available to improve because of the encoding.

But i will not pay for a script that is not available to improve because of the encoding.

Use the hooks system. It's powerful enough for 90% of changes to applications, including IP.Nexus. Done.
But this is off topic and not relevant to the original concern. ;)

Use the hooks system. It's powerful enough for 90% of changes to applications, including IP.Nexus. Done.

But this is off topic and not relevant to the original concern. ;)

Your option of improving an encoded script is always limited as the source code is not visible. Simple as that , open the source code , if you are not ashamed of your code.

Yes i do. Yearly 14k $ script has visible source but a small shopping card is not open source. You may love that method , i don't. One more addition , Magento Community is free of charge with no cost and has only couple less features compared to Magento EE. So instead of focusing the 14k support plan Magento EE has , you should focus on the feature set and visible source of Magento Community.

Couple additional corrections : Magento doesn't have 200 developers , i know most of them personally ;) Magento was huge even before Ebay purchased Magento because of the visible source. As it is one of the most advanced e-commerce solutions out there , third party developers interest was huge because e-commerce sites don't mind of investing to their websites. That's why Magento get bigger and bigger each other day. Now it is the leader script within e-commerce world. Without visible source , there was no way Magento could achieve this.

I'm a Magento Certified Developer, I've been working with it for years (since CE 1.3), and I'm in the middle of two enterprise projects right now. I don't disagree with you. Honestly, I've never actually used Nexus; just saying, they're different.

(You're mistaken about the count, though--maybe not all developers, but many. As far as I'm aware, they have some 30 developers on the 'core' team in California, plus management, sales, and supporting staff, then another 100+ developers and enterprise support located in the Ukraine.)

Why do you try to take my freedom on which application i want to renew or not ?

[...]

But right now, i don't have option not to renew those.

If you are offering credit deposit , then please consider end users to choose which application to be automatically renewed or not. Or else the system is completely flawed as when we purchase licenses , we were offered separate renewal option for each license.

If you don't want to renew a product, simply deactivate it before your renewal.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/guides.html/_/ips-client-services-and-faq/deactivating-and-reactivating-licenses-r30

@Others: Let's keep this topic on-topic please. The Nexus-encoded debate has been beaten like a dead horse.

• 1 year later...

..........you miss the point, still. I don't want the credit laying around, and to further, this actually blocks me from effectively renewing for a year.

So the answer to manual renewal is a flat 'no' then? I am not allowed to renew my license more than 6 months at a time?

I have been renewing yearly through manual renewal since I bought the license, and have never let it generate a renewal invoice automatically.

I am actually astounded you don't want my money early..... apparently that ends in favor of solely account credit?

I am not going to just leave a years credit on my account, if this is the 'way it is' I won't even bother to add more than six months, and may end up waiting for the generated invoice I never had to bother with before next time.

​Funny -

This I went through on my last renewal.

In order to prepay (where my wife could not deplete the account) I had to submit a ticket explaining this and yes it was taken care of immediately.

I agree by definition "Prepay and "Account Credits" are 2 different entities...

I understand where Mark is coming from but in todays computerized world I am having a time understanding if a person owns the complete suite the elects to not renew a product like GreenLinks for example then the accounting software should see this and adjust accordingly. (Sorry Mark not looking to bash you just the concept)

At the same time send an error message should he attempt to gain access to the un-renewed product. (You need to renew / reactivate this product before allowed to download.)

This is the way it is currently where  you own multiple licenses and 1 or more are not currently active (renewed).

This is also the case with many software licenses I hold other than IPS.

Archived