Acronym Expansion - variations of acronym in the same entry

Soldf

Often acronyms exists in different variations. With or without dots, space, dash, etc.

I'd like to enter them in one entry.

I.e M16, M-16, M 16 = "Military Assault Rifle in caliber 5,56x46 mm"

In the existing system I have to enter three different entries for the example above.

I have also had complaints from users about the approx. 2 seconds delay before the acronym description is displayed.

I have also had complaints from users about the approx. 2 seconds delay before the acronym description is displayed.

This is nothing to do with the software. We literally simply use the <acronym> HTML tag, and browsers determine how to handle that (most will show text when you hover over the word for a second or two).

• 2 months later...

And why a text like P.A.R. (with dots) isn't recognised by the system? If I put PAR (registered as Photosyntetic active Radiation) it works. The dots, break the acronym terms.

)

That issue has been fixed for 3.4.4. It was a bug that, simply put, no one noticed at first.

Glad that you soved it, as the IMPORTANT acronym automatic system in many occasions will hold a databank od scientific words that I use but I don't want to get into the post using the acronym tag each time.
And many abbreviations that for an exact spell, must be written with the dots, after the patch they can be use totally automatically.
I've never understood the meaning of this function, from our admin panel, because it simply didn't work when I've registered some word like M.I.T., U.C.L.A, C.A.B, but when I saw a word like pH (without dots) working properly, I had this doubt.
In the past I've searched for a enhanced acronym system, but nobody of course wasted time with this minor used function.
What you say is really a fantastic new for me!!

That
That issue has been fixed for 3.4.4. It was a bug that, simply put, no one noticed at first.

Thank you really!

Archived