PLEASE provide a change log

Nils

I have already mentioned this in another place, but I just wanted to reiterate this here:

There really needs to be a changelog for every version that details what has been added, changed, fixed and removed, and most importantly what the breaking changes are and if there are known issues. The bugtracker and the few superficial blog posts that usually get posted are really not adequate for this purpose. Almost every other software I am aware of, both free and paid, does this, and for good reason!

I realize this may mean a little additional work on your part, but the lack of a changelog is a huge inconvenience to a lot of your users. I often had to resort to just do an upgrade and then see what issues crop up and what new changes I see on my forums, which is just a horrible way of doing things!

• 3 months later...

I would just like to bring this topic back, as I still think a change log would be essential. An unsorted 7-page list of bug reports just doesn't cut it. It doesn't tell me what is important and what is just a minor fix, it doesn't tell me what the breaking changes are, it doesn't tell me where the known issues lie and it doesn't tell me what areas have been changed at all.

So instead I have to either install the update and hope for the best or manually diff the files to see what has been changed, both of which I would not call good solutions.

I really don't understand why this is such a problem.

I am not talking about diff reports or anything like that. Having the list of fixed bugs but with some priorities assigned would already be a lot more helpful. Ideally new features would also get tracked through the bug tracker and would show up in that list as well.

I am not talking about diff reports or anything like that. Having the list of fixed bugs but with some priorities assigned would already be a lot more helpful. Ideally new features would also get tracked through the bug tracker and would show up in that list as well.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/

On the right sidebar choice "Fixed in" 3.4.4.

We provided a link to the list of fixed bugs. We no longer assign priorities. We used to, however we discussed this internally and determined a bug is a bug, what is important to one person is not to another, and vice-versa, so priorities were always very arbitrary and unimportant in the scheme of things.

We do try to highlight new functionality. See our 3.4.3 release announcement for instance (new changes in addon apps). There was nothing new to highlight with 3.4.4.

Archived