WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

My apologies for the delay in response. That conflict would occur upon attempting to login. One would not be able to login under any circumstance with both plugins running. It may be that the plugin author did an update resolving it, but I'd need to confirm what specific version resolved the conflict to update the file description.

No worries! I'll test that scenario a bit and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey MT,

I was able to log out and back into the login pages on both the IPB and WP side of things with my admin and a regular user account. Do you know roughly when you posted that LLA was not compatible? My contact at WPE says:

The Limit Login Attempts plugin does not override the default WordPress wp_logout() function, so there shouldn't be any conflict with another plugin that does override that function.

So maybe there was an update at some point since? Weird thing is that the plugin's last update was 2012-6-1 which is a while ago obviously.

Hello, thanks for creating this. I think it's going to work great for my needs but I'm running into a little snag.

Most of the time it seems that being logged in to IPB does not automatically log-in to WordPress. The other way around works every time. Unless I'm crazy, it has worked a few times but I've been testing and testing and repeatedly go from being logged in at IPB to not being logged in at WP. This appears to be both for users who exist in WP and who do not. The WP install is new... all of the users will be coming from IPB.

I need users to be able to sign-up for an account at IPB and then go to the WP site and be already logged in. I need to hide the WP site from anyone not logged in, which I was doing with a plugin. I've disabled the plugin and the situation persists either way.

I tried clearing all caches at IPB but that didn't fix it. I've tried with no plugins, default theme, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I've continued to read and try to find this on my own since I'm like a dog with a bone when I'm trying to get something like this working... I can't stop until it's done.

A little further info... IPB is the hosted variety, not sure what they do with the URLs in that case. But the display URL is subdomain.domain.com -- WordPress is on domain.com/subdirectory/

So here is what I've done (not that it has helped)...

In IPB I set Cookie Domain as .domain.com

I thought that was going to nail it... but it didn't.

So I kept reading and found this one: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/376502-wordpress-ipsconnect/?p=2370568 which sounds like every existing member will have to manually log-in to wordpress the first time. I guess the point is that the member does not exist in WP and SSO can't "create" an account?

If I'm on the right track and there is no way at all for existing IPB members to just BE in wordpress, then can I somehow create them myself so they don't have to? I currently have about 100 members and they are at varying levels of technical ability. For some of them, the confusion of having to login again is going to seem extreme and may cause irregular heartbeat or similar symptoms..

After all of this what I really want is for new members who sign up in IPB (through IP Nexus) to land on the WP site. Not sure that's doable.

How can I manually tie a WP user to a IPB user?

I have two members that I am going to have to reinstate their membership by creating new WP accounts. I want them to keep their IPB user and all their old posts though.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

This I think I can actually create a tool to assist with looking at it, as tying it to the login type in use seems overly complex. Basically:

INSERT INTO wp_usermeta(user_id, meta_key, meta_value) VALUES(wp_users.ID, 'wpIpsConnectID', ipb_members.member_id);

replacing wp_users.ID and ipb_members.member_id with the relevant values.

A little further info... IPB is the hosted variety, not sure what they do with the URLs in that case. But the display URL is subdomain.domain.com -- WordPress is on domain.com/subdirectory/

So here is what I've done (not that it has helped)...

In IPB I set Cookie Domain as .domain.com

I thought that was going to nail it... but it didn't.

That doesn't seem right, that should work. Can you please PM me access details to look into this issue?

This I think I can actually create a tool to assist with looking at it, as tying it to the login type in use seems overly complex. Basically:

INSERT INTO wp_usermeta(user_id, meta_key, meta_value) VALUES(wp_users.ID, 'wpIpsConnectID', ipb_members.member_id);

Marcher,

I'm comfortable digging around tables on the backend. Maybe you can point me in the right direction on where the two accounts are linked?

Thanks!

Marcher,

I'm comfortable digging around tables on the backend. Maybe you can point me in the right direction on where the two accounts are linked?

Thanks!

I suppose I was unclear.

That row I supplied to insert IS the link. When a user logs in for the first time to WP and that row has not been populated I am using the login type to match the accounts up, be it email, login or display name. Once I have a successful response, that is updated with the user's IPB member_id, and used for further IPB lookups for that user.

In essence, recreate their IPB account and re-associate it with their posts, then just have them login to wordpress using the IPB account details. The plugin code will create their wp account and handle the rest.

Bought this last week and frustrated at the lack of support for the price. Pm'd the author a few days ago and nothing back.

Maybe someone else can help out.

Q1) Can users who log in via social media be bridged to WP?

Q2) Does WP auto update when a user changes their details in IPB?

Q3) How do you import users into WP that were registered before installing the plugin?

Cheers

Bought this last week and frustrated at the lack of support for the price. Pm'd the author a few days ago and nothing back.

Maybe someone else can help out.

Q1) Can users who log in via social media be bridged to WP?

Q2) Does WP auto update when a user changes their details in IPB?

Q3) How do you import users into WP that were registered before installing the plugin?

Cheers

My apologies, these are difficult to answer as you will not like the answers.

Q1) Without a local password set, there is unfortunately no way to authorize them via ipsconnect. If they go into the UCP and set a local password, then they can login to wordpress using the same credentials.

Q2) It does not. This is a limitation in IPSConnect itself in regards to slaves. I cannot provide a wordpress master, the password hashing differs too greatly. This will be improved in the IPSConnect rewrite for IPS 4 I will need to do when released, as detailed here: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Q3) Simply have them login, or be SSO'd into wordpress? This is not a bulk user importer, and synching users is not something you can rush easily. There is code to handle it, but that really reaches way beyond the scope of the mod to import them 'all at once', However, as above with Q2, this should prove unnoticeable once the master redirects such login requests upon success to the slaves in IPS 4.

My apologies, these are difficult to answer as you will not like the answers.

Q1) Without a local password set, there is unfortunately no way to authorize them via ipsconnect. If they go into the UCP and set a local password, then they can login to wordpress using the same credentials.

Q2) It does not. This is a limitation in IPSConnect itself in regards to slaves. I cannot provide a wordpress master, the password hashing differs too greatly. This will be improved in the IPSConnect rewrite for IPS 4 I will need to do when released, as detailed here: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Q3) Simply have them login, or be SSO'd into wordpress? This is not a bulk user importer, and synching users is not something you can rush easily. There is code to handle it, but that really reaches way beyond the scope of the mod to import them 'all at once', However, as above with Q2, this should prove unnoticeable once the master redirects such login requests upon success to the slaves in IPS 4.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

It's pretty quiet on here...wondering if thats a good thing! :)

Has something broken in the last couple updates of WordPress? I've noticed after WP autoupdated (I really need to turn that off) that last couple of minor revisions - my site no longer processes new members appropriately. I have the membership plugin dev looking into it now, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something known before I send him on a goose chase!

Any word on WP 3.9 compatibility?

It's pretty quiet on here...wondering if thats a good thing! :smile:

Has something broken in the last couple updates of WordPress? I've noticed after WP autoupdated (I really need to turn that off) that last couple of minor revisions - my site no longer processes new members appropriately. I have the membership plugin dev looking into it now, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something known before I send him on a goose chase!

Any word on WP 3.9 compatibility?

Hello,

After thorough investigation and testing, it would appear the issue does lie within your membership plugin. The mod seems to work as intended on a fresh 3.9 install.

I've just installed this plugin and it worked! I was having problems before because I tried logging in in Wordpress with a user that had the same email address as an existing user in IPB, which apparently caused a conflict.

My question: I believe it is not possible to assign Wordpress members to a particular IPB member group. Is that right?

If not, is it possible to change the default membership that is assigned in IPB when a user logs in with a Wordpress account? Right now someone like that is assigned the 'Member' group but I'd like to assign a custom group. This might be as simple as changing a single number in the code, so any suggestion as to where to look would be awesome.

Is the official channel for support? Is there a better way to contact the author? It's been 2 weeks since my question and any appearance by him. Kind of frustrating.

Hello,

My apologies for the delay.

Could you please send me WP Admin/FTP access details to look into this? I have reviewed the code, and the fix for this is still present, and I am having difficulty reproducing, thus would like to investigate on your site.

Hello,

My apologies for the delay.
Could you please send me WP Admin/FTP access details to look into this? I have reviewed the code, and the fix for this is still present, and I am having difficulty reproducing, thus would like to investigate on your site.

Thanks, I'll write you with that info tomorrow!

Archived