Community

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is very hard to really see and understand how this is layed out when you cannot understand the language. I am highly interested, however we do not plan on spending the money and investing into such

Hello, I have purchases from Russia and yes, Google maps support Russia, and yes you can translate this mod

Regarding which Google Maps API to use, I don't know... when I got my Google Maps API some years ago, there was only one API. So apparently something has changed. But here is some info on changing th

Posted Images

I am now finding that businesses are eager to buy these profiles. I have over 100,000 visits per month from people who are all interested in Turkey, or they are living in or visiting Turkey. I decided to start populating the directory with profiles of various government offices that foreigners typically need, like where they get their residence permits, the tax office, the electric and water companies, etc... I'm doing these for free just to get it going. Then I'll start selling it.

When I'm in various towns just walking around, there are always restaurant and bar owners out on the sidewalk trying to get people to come in, they always try to start a conversation. It always comes to "so why are you in town?" So I start telling them about the business directory, how we have so many visitors on our site, and how we are looking for local businesses who are interested in doing business with foreigners. Of course I get invited in for tea. I show them our site, the business directory, and how many visits the profiles I've added are already getting. I explain that we want $50 per year per profile.

Not only are they very interested, but a few have told me that I should be asking for more money! But I want to keep it cheap, at a price nobody can refuse. I use a GPS to get their map coordinates, get a brochure and a business card, take a few preliminary photos, and tell them that I'll be in touch with them once I have all of these other profiles uploaded so they can send me any special photos they want added.

Some say "I already have a free Facebook page." But I explain that Facebook is a social media platform, and that not everybody is a Facebook member. While there current customers might like to chat on their Facebook page, nobody uses Facebook to find a restaurant, plumber, airport transfer, etc.

Some say "we have a free TripAdvisor page." I explain that actually, they don't. TripAdvisor owns that page, not them. Competitors and angry guests can write bad reviews and there really isn't anything the business owner can do about it. With the business directory, the business owner owns the page.

Anyway it looks like this is going to be a great seller and a way to monetize my site.

One other note: This is also great for using social media to bring in traffic. In Turkey, new offices opened for the processing of residence permits. I went to one local office, collected the info, took some photos, and made a profile for it. Then, in Facebook, I posted links to the page in every page and group about the area affected. The page got 450 visits in one day, all from Facebook, which is a great way to get my site name out there.

I have one other request though (sorry!)...

One thing that would help is to have a "Date Added" block, preferably under the cover photo on the listings page. That way people could see what date it was added, and how many hits it has gotten since it was added. It would also give me a way to know when to re-bill the business for the next year. Currently there is a "date modified" block in the profile itself, but that only shows when it was changed, not when it was added, and it is on a different page than the number of hits.

On the business profiles with e-mail addresses, the "Send Email" tab is showing for guests. But when they try to send an e-mail to the company, they get this error message:

"You do not have permission for this action."

Is there a way to allow guests to send an e-mail to a company, without allowing guest access to the member profiles?

Also, when I send an e-mail as a member, a message pop-up appears, but it doesn't say anything. When I send a message, the popup says "Message Sent," but with the e-mail, it's blank.

Sorry for all of the bug reports, I just wanted to make sure you knew about them for the next version before you finished working on it.

Edited by Bendensin

I have one other request though (sorry!)...

One thing that would help is to have a "Date Added" block, preferably under the cover photo on the listings page. That way people could see what date it was added, and how many hits it has gotten since it was added. It would also give me a way to know when to re-bill the business for the next year. Currently there is a "date modified" block in the profile itself, but that only shows when it was changed, not when it was added, and it is on a different page than the number of hits.

​In companyProfileView find:

{$this->lang->words[ 'sd33_cd_cprofile_addedby' ]} <span itemprop="creator"><if test="isMember:|:$item[ 'member_id' ]">{parse template="userHoverCard" group="global" params="$item"}<else />{$item[ 'member_name' ]}</if></span> {$this->lang->words[ 'sd33_cd_cprofile_latest_mod' ]}  <if test="latestEdit:|:$item[ 'company_edit_date' ] > 0"><span itemprop="dateCreated" datetime="{parse date="$item[ 'company_edit_date' ]" format="YMD" relative="false"}">{parse date="$item[ 'company_edit_date' ]" format="short"}</span><else /><span itemprop="dateCreated" datetime="{parse date="$item[ 'company_add_date' ]" format="YMD" relative="false"}">{parse date="$item[ 'company_add_date' ]" format="SHORT"}</span></if>

and replace to:

{$this->lang->words[ 'sd33_cd_cprofile_addedby' ]} <span itemprop="creator"><if test="isMember:|:$item[ 'member_id' ]">{parse template="userHoverCard" group="global" params="$item"}<else />{$item[ 'member_name' ]}</if></span> {$this->lang->words[ 'sd33_cd_cprofile_latest_mod' ]}  <span itemprop="dateCreated" datetime="{parse date="$item[ 'company_add_date' ]" format="YMD" relative="false"}">{parse date="$item[ 'company_add_date' ]" format="SHORT"}</span>

then you always have add date. If you want add to other template you must paste code:

<span itemprop="dateCreated" datetime="{parse date="$item[ 'company_add_date' ]" format="YMD" relative="false"}">{parse date="$item[ 'company_add_date' ]" format="SHORT"}</span>

On the business profiles with e-mail addresses, the "Send Email" tab is showing for guests. But when they try to send an e-mail to the company, they get this error message:

"You do not have permission for this action."

Is there a way to allow guests to send an e-mail to a company, without allowing guest access to the member profiles?

Also, when I send an e-mail as a member, a message pop-up appears, but it doesn't say anything. When I send a message, the popup says "Message Sent," but with the e-mail, it's blank.

Sorry for all of the bug reports, I just wanted to make sure you knew about them for the next version before you finished working on it.

​Yes, I can add, but I must make over app, and add additional validation and field to email address

Thanks Spanner!

I figured that if you were going to fix/add all of that a new make-over would be needed.

I just had a business contact me today using the contact form, asking if they could have a page. So I was thinking, could you also add an option to add some text to the directory listings pages, and on the profiles themselves, so a  line like "Add Your Business" could be added, with a link if needed?

I see that Nexus is integrated, and an option to pay for the page before submitting it is there. But my customers are really unlikely to go in and create their own page. They have been asking me to do it for them, with information from their brochure, or from their business card and website. It looks like I will have to set it up in a way that I make the business profiles for them.

If someone comes in to the directory and likes what they see, and wants to add their business, (even if a guest) I'd like to have an "add your business" link there for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely don't want guests coming in to add a business profile. I definitely DO want guests to be able to quickly and easily contact me about adding a page when they see the company directory, without having to figure out where my contact form is. Anybody should be able to just click a very visible and handy link on any page of the company directory to inquire about how to add their company to the company directory, without being forced to create their page immediately and pay by Nexus immediately.

"Add Your Business"

All I want is a text box where any kind of text could be added--in my case, a link to a separate page explaining the directory and giving them a contact option. Then I will make arrangements to collect the text and photos from them separately, and I will set up their page.

People Don't Want to Create Their Own Page

Nobody I have talked to has any interest in creating their own page. Typically they have never visited a forum before, have never heard of my site, they usually run small businesses and have very little experience with the internet. A person who has been a member for a while and is comfortable with the IP interfaces might be okay with it, but the typical small businessman in Turkey would be completely lost.

So expecting people to join as a member, create their own page, then pay with Nexus is unrealistic.  As I am selling it, my potential customers are all saying "please get the info and photos from our website" or "I will send you the text and images by e-mail and you can make it."

There are probably going to be a LOT of people visiting our directory who own businesses in Turkey, they are going to want a page, and they are not going to be able to figure out how to make one.

Maybe not all of the people here who are using Company Directory on their sites will need a feature like this, so it could be something which appears if it has text in it, but doesn't appear if it's empty.

Problem with deleting photos

I am adding a profile for a hotel right now. I successfully uploaded the photos, but I need to delete one. When I edit the profile and click the delete button, I get an error box which says:

"Action failed" with an "OK" button.

Anyway, I can't delete uploaded photos.

Basic Photo Uploader Not Working

When I click on the link for the basic uploader, it just shoots me up to the top of the profile page.

New Version?

Is there a new version to the Company Directory coming?

Edited by Bendensin

I really like the "Business Map" you get when you click on the "Show More" link under the header map on the first page (I changed the word "company" to "business" in languages). Especially nice is that when you click on categories, only map markers from those business categories display. You can also click on the category of businesses you want to display on the map, then copy the link. When you post it in an HTML page or e-mail it to someone, and they click on it, they can see all of the businesses of a single category on the map, instead of all of them. Very cool!

But I notice in the business categories column on the left, the categories are very bunched up, and the parent categories are in plain text, while the subcategories are in bold. Can you fix that please Spanner? :) Example below...

business-map.thumb.png.f524978d2e46c0b4b

Edited by Bendensin

Regarding which Google Maps API to use, I don't know... when I got my Google Maps API some years ago, there was only one API. So apparently something has changed.

But here is some info on changing the furls:

In your Dreamweaver or other similar program, go to /admin/application_addon/other/companydirectory/extensions

find furltemplates.php, download, and and open it

If you want to change the part of the furl where it says company directory, do the following. For example, I changed "companydirectory" to "directory."

for every line starting with "out" : replace the last occurence of "companydirectory" with "newname"
for every line starting with regex : replace "companydirectory" with "newname"

upload the file

go to your ACP. It will show a "you have to rebuild furls" notice. Click on it and follow the instructions to rebuild the furl cache.

Note: If you are already logged in to the ACP, you won't see the warning to rebuild your furls. Log out of the ACP and log in again and you will see it. Just click on the link, it provides and follow the instructions to rebuild the furl cache.

You have to redo this every time you update the application. So if you upgrade to 4.0 you will have to re-do the furls again.

You can also do it like this:

ACP > Cache Management > Recache All
ACP > Look and Feel > Template Tools > Recache Skinsets

Here is a list of the Polish names I had to change, I basically figured them out with Google translate:

firmy = company
firma = business
lista = list
opinie = reviews
dodaj = post
kategoria = category
mapa = map
miasto = city
panstwo = you
wojewodztwo = province (or state)
regulamin_katalogu = regulations directory (directory rules)

I hope that helps.

Edited by Bendensin

One important point I forgot to mention. When you download furlTemplates.php, immediately re-name it to something like "OLDfurlTemplates.php." This will be your backup of the original file in case you mess something up. You can also save the original somewhere else if you want, but I just re-name it.

Then download furlTemplates.php again, and make your changes to it. If you mess something up, just change OLDfurlTemplates.php back to furlTemplates.php and upload it again to return everything to its original condition.

When I'm finished, after checking to make sure all of the furls have been changed, I also upload my re-named original file (OLDfurlTemplates.php) to the server. That way if I find out something isn't working correctly later, I still have the original in case I need it.

Edited by Bendensin

@Spanner Can you please help me with the steps in order to setup the maps?

I realise that Google must have changed things for you, however you must understand the new way surely? I don't and I have tried both methods in various ways, including adding my servers ip.addresses to the approved list for server access. No work, I always end up with "This page was unable to display a Google Maps element. The provided Google API key is invalid or this site is not authorized to use it. Error Code: InvalidKeyOrUnauthorizedURLMapError".

Please help.

@Bendensin Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

1. go to: https://console.developers.google.com/project?authuser=1
  2. create project
  3. enter to project and go to: APIs & auth -> Credentials
  4. Create new Public API access: browser key
  5. copy and paste generated key into acp (app settings)
  6. go to APIs & auth -> APIs -> Google Maps JavaScript API
  7. Activate this api

Now work, but sometimes you must wait few minutes

• 2 weeks later...