This is why I don't like the editor

TSP

Because it screws up a lot, for no appearant reason.

(I will fix it, so here's an image)

edit: I gave up fixing that post, it just caused another issue, but looks somewhat better.

post-135437-0-18094900-1356004093_thumb.

This was submitted with RTE (yes, I actually used RTE for once). Worked fine. Edited post, worked fine. Edited post again, totally broken on save. All this with RTE.

And don't ask me to post in bug tracker. I have no way to reproduce this consistently, these things just sort of randomly happens a lot. Besides it's probarbly buried somewhere among all the other editor bugs.

Argh.

Just wanted to share some frustration.

*sigh* :sad:

I so much feel you...

20 mins ago I submitted a ticket in my Client area... The ticket included my text, 13 quotes with some logs, and some links. I took great care to format it properly, and indeed I had to switch between design and wysiwyg mode to make some changes, but the final ticket before submitting it was looking just fine...

Duh... You wouldn't like to see what it turned to after I submitted it... :P

Did you post that on a mobile/tablet? Were you browsing this site on a mobile around the same time?

I didn't Matt. I had no other active tabs in my browser or any other devices browsing the forum.

I have literally no idea why it happened. I didn't change editor mode, I didn't change anything in the post that should break stuff and I didn't use the editor anywhere else on these forums.

I'm sorry. I would like to know what caused it... But I just have no idea :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

I edited a post just now. It took some time, but I never left the browser tab or used the editor anywhere else. When I clicked submit, this happened :( I even used RTE, which you keep telling me is so super fantastic....

post-135437-0-71113500-1357767339_thumb.

Why always me.

This is just... incredibly sad. :(

Where was the post you were editing?

What browser were you using? Were you on the main site or on the mobile skin?

Here:

Main site. Chrome. RTE.

I used maybe 10-15 minutes on the edit? Did some other unrelated work aswell. Not sure on the time used.

My internet connection disconnected for a couple of minutes at some point, but I don't believe it was during the time the editor window was open. But any information is helpful I guess...

I also face some abnormalities within Chrome and Editor. Doesn't happen all the time however if i click on Code button within editor and paste the content i want to add within the opened Code box will break the display completely. Code box appears empty and the text i put appears below code box. This happened couple times lately and the latest version occurred yesterday within a support ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Please believe me when I say I didn't do anything fancy here.

I just wrote my reply in STD. That's it, end of story. No BBcode, just plain text.

No, I don't know how to reproduce. No, I didn't switch editor. No, I didn't have my javascript console open. I once again trusted the editor, but the editor failed me.

Chrome.

edit: attached image

post-135437-0-56578200-1359034071_thumb.

I'm just a "beta user" of 3.4, with no live install, but I feel very unsecure to see HTML beeing mangled with user input. I know this is the main change in 3.4, but is freaks me out. It just screams "XSS" to me.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but...

How can we be sure that this policy change ( having html used internally) will not end up with very bad code inserted in topics ?

Is it absolutely unthinkable to have this new "html editor" send javascript directly in my DB, then having it parse when the threads get displayed ?

I'm just asking. Again it's freaking me out to see <pre> and <p> in post messages. I also understand that the fact that I'm seeing them means they are actually properly parsed as "not html". But it also means they were not properly handled in the whole process.

This might just be psychological, paranoia, but as a possible live user, I just feel 3.3 is a safer way to go than 3.4. But I have no understanding of the inner workings. It might just be the other way around... Just curious.

The editor and IP.Board utilize <p> and <pre> tags (amongst others) to format the content for display. This is normal and expected. TSP has run in to an issue where this HTML (which is perfectly valid and accepted by IP.Board) was treated as if it were plain text instead, and subsequently the tags are displayed on the screen. We have no reason to believe this is an indication that XSS is a possibility in this instance. I believe the issue he hit is purely related to the backend not understanding how the content he submitted should be formatted, and subsequently the parser was overaggressive in "cleaning" the submission.

I appearantly can't post my views on 3.4.2 editor update in this topic:

Since my post would be considered negative. I post it here:

Sure, the 3.4.2 editor resolves a lot of issues. But also introduced new ones that I did not see in 3.4.1. Just today I've reported three bugs and are following atleast two other bugs in the editor I consider important. (Yes, I do thank you for the huge efforts given in the 3.4.2 patch, but I still want to post my complete view on this)

3.4.X, even with 3.4.2 is still not in a state where the editor feels stable enough for us to upgrade our three big board forums. Atleast not our 3.2.3 forum with 20 million posts.

Which is a shame, since there are other features we would like to upgrade for. But the buggy editor is a deal breaker. I don't care much about most bugs in other areas, since they are a lot more easier to deal with/fix ourselves/resolve in support tickets.

• Management

Sometimes my users have the same problems.

Every time it is necessary go into the database and correct these posts manually.

Please let us know about such issues so we can address them. You shouldn't have to be going in the database manually :)

You shouldn't have to be going in the database manually :smile:

I don't know any other effective and fast ways :sad:

Ok, i'll let you know about these issues if it will appear again and if it can help you in diagnosis.

• Management

I don't know any other effective and fast ways :sad:

Ok, i'll let you know about these issues if it will appear again and if it can help you in diagnosis.

I just meant that you shouldn't have to do that because we should be able to fix whatever is wrong for you :)

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue since... since the upgrade to this new fancy forum design. 3.x
An example:
Take an old Topic, press edit, press save
and tadaaaaa, everything is ruined!

This usualy happens to posts which have used things like the "list" feature and so forth.

The current editor is a huge mess, it's simply a big piece of bullfaeces.
I'm sorry but, i want to stay realistic here. i mean....
This is a forum right?
And what is a forum without a proper working editor?
It's a big piece of faeces.

I've had DIFFERENT editor issues on:
Firefox
Internet Explorer
Chrome

Please guys, finally get this fixed, switch to a new editor system or whatever, i don't care.
All we want is a proper working editor.
Stop creating more fancy features no one needs, and get the most important thing to work first.

I'm not going to pay any more cent unless i read a changelog saying that it has been fixed.

thxkbye

Take an old Topic, press edit, press save
and tadaaaaa, everything is ruined!

Just tried that with 3.4.3 - I didn't get any changes. The post was the same as it was before and I did it on a post with plenty of formatting. The only times I've had this occur and it happens occasionally is where I edited a post and changed the editor BB Code mode.

Archived