Option for inserting full size of uploaded image?

Zephpp

Couldn't find a topic on this subject.

I would like to see a button when uploading images that will insert the picture in full size, not just a thumbnail you have to click.

On threads which largely consist of images, it's annoying when you have to click on some of the pictures to see what it is. Compared to just scrolling down and viewing as you go.

This is also frustrating if you are reading a text in the post which goes with the picture. If you want to read while looking at the image, back and forth, you have to click on the image to bring up the full size every time you want to look at it.

I have seen other forums which give you two options: "Insert miniature" and "Insert full size". Larger images could be scaled down to the resolution of the theme, as it does when using img-tag today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought I was missing something as I was trying to find a way to have images show up full size in blog posts, forum posts, etc. So it sounds like that's not available in IPS... all pictures are inserted as thumbnails, your only option is to adjust the size of the thumbnails for all users?

I'm reccomending a slightly modified version of this here:

The idea is, let IPB admins set image thumbnails, or image sizes to be a % of content width available up to 100% the size of the image. (We don't ever want them blown up to 110% 120% etc b/c of distortion.

So now admins would have direct pixel sizes, or % width.

I also make the suggestion that images that are attached can be used as images in a post vs just posting the thumb. After all, if you wanted just the thumb, you would just keep it as an attachment, but once you tell it to go into the body of the post, which is an option, then it should at least be allowed to up to X size within the post.

I thought I was missing something as I was trying to find a way to have images show up full size in blog posts, forum posts, etc. So it sounds like that's not available in IPS... all pictures are inserted as thumbnails, your only option is to adjust the size of the thumbnails for all users?

only for forum post (I've never tested on blog)

Settings: Topics, Posts and Polls

Show uploaded images in post as images YES

Show thumbnail of attached image > NO

Attachment image maximum size [width] 10000 ( or more :tongue: )

Attachment image maximum size [height] 10000

never tested ?

Tried such a thing. The issue is that even if you leave it as an attachment, it will still show the image at 1000x1000.

The thought is that if you put it in a post, it should be a larger size. But if you leave it as an attachement, it should be a thumbnail. It does not do this.

When you choose to attach an image, you have the option after upload to use that in the post. Doing so makes it a thumbnail in the post and not the full size image.

If you choose to include it in the post, it should be shown at up to X size.

If you do not choose to include it in the post, then it just should be included as an attachment and thus as a thumbnail.

Hope that makes sense.

The admin can make the setting, but it is one way or the other. It clearly can be if used IN THE POST with the attachment BBCode, then it should be full size vs a thumbnail. If not used, it should just then be an attachment with a thumb.

"but I can't understand the utility."

Do you mean you can't understand why we would want it? Or how it would be setup?

In care you are asking why would we would it...We would want it because it is much easier for someone to upload an image to our site and use it in a post vs needing to upload it somewhere else first and then using the URL to pull it. Much easier, faster, and we do not need to worry about needing to reach the other site for an image call.

• 2 weeks later...

so where do we increase the size of the attachments thumbnails please? I think it would at least be nice if an image could be around 300 wide and the height left relative. Most people put up an image around 300 (ish) I'm sure as it looks far better in a post that a little thumbnail does :smile:

• 4 months later...

I patched IP.Board 3.4.5, so that if an image is included in the post body, it is displayed in full size, otherwise it is displayed as a thumbnail. For this to work, the option to show thumbnail of attached image must be enabled in ACP.

The patch makes a small change to the renderAttachments function in class_attach.php. A similar change might also be required for the renderSingleAttachment function, but I left it out for now. I haven't tested the patch thoroughly, but it appears to be working correctly on my board.

Here is the patch. It's also included as an attachment.

diff -rupN orig/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php new/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php
--- orig/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php	2013-05-29 12:10:22.000000000 -0400
+++ new/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php	2013-10-02 23:34:08.323917884 -0400
@@ -631,7 +631,12 @@ class class_attach

if ( $this->settings['show_img_upload'] and $row['attach_is_image'] )
 				{
-					if ( $this->attach_settings['siu_thumb'] AND $row['attach_thumb_location'] AND $row['attach_thumb_width'] )
+					//-----------------------------------------
+					// Is this image included in the post body?
+					$image_in_post = strpos( $htmlArray[ $row['attach_rel_id'] ], ' AND $row['attach_thumb_location'] AND $row['attach_thumb_width'] )
 					{
 						//-----------------------------------------
 						// Make sure we've not seen this ID

rb-ipb-full-image-in-post.zip

Thanks. You can add a new setting via ACP and then modify the patch to read that setting. That would allow you to toggle full size images using ACP.

What would be really nice, is to provide the user with an option to either insert a thumbnail or a full size image, when adding the attached image to the post. It would probably require a new bbcode or a new option to the existing attachment bbcode.

Is there a way to limit the size of the image with this patch?

It works great in Safari and Chrome where it automatically resizes the image to the default size of the post. On Firefox however, if the image is larger than the post size it posts the full image anyway and kind of juts out of the side.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

Normally, attached images are enclosed in a div with ID 'attach_wrap', which clips the image due to the 'overflow: hidden' style. You can do the same thing to prevent oversized images from extending outside the post area.

In ACP, go to Look & Feel > Manage Skin Sets & Templates and select a skin. Under Templates, select Topic View > show_attachments_img. Enclose the template code between <div style='overflow:hidden'> and </div>

Here is an updated version of the patch. It prevents the image from overflowing the post area as described in my previous post. If you use this patch, you won't need to make changes to the skin template.

diff -rupN orig/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php new/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php
--- orig/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php	2013-05-29 12:10:22.000000000 -0400
+++ new/admin/applications/core/sources/classes/attach/class_attach.php	2013-10-21 20:20:56.569095296 -0400
@@ -631,7 +631,12 @@ class class_attach

if ( $this->settings['show_img_upload'] and $row['attach_is_image'] )
 				{
-					if ( $this->attach_settings['siu_thumb'] AND $row['attach_thumb_location'] AND $row['attach_thumb_width'] )
+					// Is this image included in the post body?
+					$image_in_post = strpos( $htmlArray[ $row['attach_rel_id'] ], ' AND $row['attach_thumb_location'] AND $row['attach_thumb_width'] )
 					{
 						//-----------------------------------------
 						// Make sure we've not seen this ID
@@ -709,6 +714,11 @@ class class_attach
 																															'attach_rel_id'	=> $row['attach_rel_id'] ),
 																														$parse_og );

+						if( $image_in_post)
+						{
+							$tmp = "<div style='overflow:hidden'>" . $tmp . "</div>";
+						}
+                        
 						if ( is_array( $map_attach_id_to_rel_id[ $_attach_id ] ) AND count( $map_attach_id_to_rel_id[ $_attach_id ] ) )
 						{
 							foreach( $map_attach_id_to_rel_id[ $_attach_id ] as $idx => $_rel_id )

rb-ipb-full-image-in-post-v2.zip

Archived