IPB Support Forums keep Crashing?

Powerboat

• Management

I test IPS sites and sometimes get RTO, need to reconnect modem and get fresh IP to reach IPS,

sometimes forum access really smooth but when try to access marketplace, then bam, connection dropped

That's really handy information actually. Are others that are getting blocked also hitting it when using the marketplace? Perhaps there's something wonky going on there that's creating an excess amount of connections.

In any event, the problems should be minimized now. The attack as subsided to the point we can loosen our grip on the traffic.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any event, the problems should be minimized now. The attack as subsided to the point we can loosen our grip on the traffic.

That loosened grip is still affecting me. Whoever is doing the DDoS attacks really needs to get a life. Having to use a proxy to get in here. Owoooo...

Yes, sorry. :$

Nothing to be sorry for. I make those kinds of mistakes somewhat often. So long as you know I wasn't trying to be mean by pointing it out, it's all good. :smile:

Here's what I've seen happening today. If I leave this tab open in my browser and not click anywhere else for a few minutes (say, 10 or so), then decide to click somewhere, like the View New Content button, I will get one of the 'connection reset' messages referenced in this topic. If I immediately then go ahead and refresh, it will load up, and I can browse around as long as I'm actively doing stuff. It's when I leave for a while and come back that it errors again.

Lindy is correct. There is nothing that IPS can do about this and contrary to the belief, HARRY POTTER does not exist and I doubt even he could stop a DDoS attack.

It's a fact that "internet traffic", no matter how it's used, often takes down a multitude of sites. I've experienced this myself with my own webhost as they conduct periodic maintenance. But, rather than piss and moan about it, all I can do is open up a support ticket so that they are aware of the problem. Complaining about it won't help and neither will blaming the IPS staff for something that is out of their control.

Lindy is correct. There is nothing that IPS can do about this and contrary to the belief, HARRY POTTER does not exist and I doubt even he could stop a DDoS attack.

The Conan O'Brien version of Harry Potter could stop it. A few years back, when there was controversy about HP being anti-religious or something, O'Brien had this one joke about a Christian dubbed version of the movie being released. They showed a scene of Potter -vs- Malfoy (on tables) and when Potter was waving his wand, you heard a voice saying, "Help me Jesus, kick his ass!"

Potter is a wimp. Buffy the Vampire Slayer? (Do not laugh. I firmly believe she could stop a DDOS attack. Especially if it was led by a group of vampires.)

Not if the DDOS guys have kryptonite, then Superman would be even more useless than Potter and oh my God I'm like 20 years too old for this conversation.

One can never be too old for that!!!! I'm 27 and I still like Pokemon, Digimon, and one of my favs from when I was a kid is Swat cats, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck..etc... :) I still watch all those!

Not if the DDOS guys have kryptonite, then Superman would be even more useless than Potter and oh my God I'm like 20 years too old for this conversation.

If Superman travels as super fast speed, he could pass through without feeling the affects of Kryptonite. Either that or use heat vision from a distance. :smile:

One can never be too old for that!!!! I'm 27 and I still like Pokemon, Digimon, and one of my favs from when I was a kid is Swat cats, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck..etc... :smile: I still watch all those!

I remember watching Darkwing Duck. In fact I used to use the "I am the" references to kid around, like when I would be purposely annoying someone, I would say things like, "I am the phone ringing when you're in the bathroom" or "I am the flat tire on your car when you're late for an appointment" or other things like that.

For me it is impossible to browse to second page of any thread. If i try to open 3-4 thread on different tabs , third or fourth tab keeps holding.

It is incredibly annoying , makes this website un browsable at all.

Category pages are not that problematic however thread pages are in painful situation which makes me think if it has anything to do with table locks you guys are facing on post table.

• Management

We're working on a different DDoS mitigation resource as we speak.

In the meantime, I've said before do NOT multi-tab open several topics in different tabs. How is the system supposed to know if you're attempting to attack or you're just passionately browsing?

We're working on a different DDoS mitigation resource as we speak.

In the meantime, I've said before do NOT multi-tab open several topics in different tabs. How is the system supposed to know if you're attempting to attack or you're just passionately browsing?

It means you have issues on your DDos prevention script. I faced that before once couple years ago. It maybe wise to check the iptables rules you define .

Unfortunately i had no idea that we shouldn't open threads on multiple tabs and i doubt 99% of the customers are in similar boat with me. If IPB community require specific methods to follow on these days , i suggest you to inform us via e-mail.

You guys still getting DDOS'd? Access to your site over the past few weeks is spotty at best.. I'd seriously considering removing DDOS countermeasures if you aren't actively being DDOS'd as it is incredibly annoying from a customer perspective to have your site time out one moment and then work 10 minutes later, then stop working.. rinse and repeat.

heh.. go figure. Tried to post this message and I'm blocked yet again.. Guess I'll wait a bit.

• Management

The DDoS attacks are so large, they can not be mitigated at a server level.

We too are displeased with the mitigation and seeking out another solution.

In the interim, the attack is subsiding. The profile will be disabled in due course.

The DDoS attacks are so large, they can not be mitigated at a server level.

We too are displeased with the mitigation and seeking out another solution.

In the interim, the attack is subsiding. The profile will be disabled in due course.

Eek. I hope my company never has to deal with this. =P

Mine is and ticket was filed again. And it has not helped. Been 24 hours since I can access from my IP

Was having the same issue. Lindy had tried to clear it up for me but it didn't work, had to use proxies. So just used proxies while waiting for him to get a chance to look at it again. I don't envy him on this, since it is a General PITA (outranking you lol).

finally I can access from pc and am able to actually read the screen unlike phone LOL

man I feel badly for you guys having to deal with this,

and if its not evident I DO appreciate the help you give when this happens.

I got an update a few minutes ago from Lindy and now I'm able to access directly again. I appreciate their efforts as well, since it's something that they shouldn't have to deal with and it takes away from handling client related issues.

I thing that it is going on now for the last 2 weeks, but if the keep getting attacked, there isn't much that we can do here. Flaming and shooting isn't going to resolve anything. So just keep calm.

I'm sure IPS is working on a solution as we speak. And that they don't like this situation much more then you do.

IPS is filtering IP addresses I had to sent support ticket, community board wasn't available for me in last 36 hours,

This community should not be a necessity to your usage and support of the software. If there's something you need that you can't access here, please feel free to submit a ticket.

Could use the documentation but...

It's just odd that I can access from work and school with no problem, but not from home at all. I'm convinced that my IP was blocked because you don't like me. ;-;

It's just odd that I can access from work and school with no problem, but not from home at all.

I'm convinced that my IP was blocked because you don't like me. ;-;

Nah, they don't play like that. If they did, they would just outright ban you and be done with it.

Short of waving a magic wand (I'm happy to try)

The client area is and always has been accessible. This community should not be a necessity to your usage and support of the software. If there's something you need that you can't access here, please feel free to submit a ticket.

but it IS for mods/hooks.

Thanks for fixing mine :)

Have to admit that I've never faced this problem either. If my site is down, I report it promptly to my webhost and they do their best to determine the outage. 99% of the time it's because of my webhost conducting unscheduled maintenance on the servers. Always remember, service with webhosts is always 99.99%. lols

Archived