IPB Support Forums keep Crashing?

Powerboat

Hi folks,

For the last day or so I have found it almost impossible to access these forums.

Yesterday, I couldn't get onto the forums at all.

This morning it is very hit or miss with the forums crashing every few minutes with the following empty browser message.

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I'm using Firefox and I'm based in Ireland

Is it just me?

Kind regards,

Stuart

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers,

That would explain it. This site is still under a DDOS type attack.

Just a suggestion, :smile:

Maybe IPB should send out an email to their customers to explain that:

• we are currently experiencing difficulties form DDOS attack.
  • These are the effects
  • This is what we are doing about it
  • We will update you tomorrow, Monday etc...

I know that it may be embarrassing for IPB, but by keeping us informed, it will bring their customers with them and keep us all informed of their current difficulties. An informed customer is a more understanding customer.

It might also be a (an understandable? :thumbsup: ) reason why customer service seems to have taken a nose dive in recent weeks?

Kind regards,

Stuart

If you're having connection issues, visit here: http://ip.ipslink.com/

Then submit a ticket to the Accounts/Billing department, mention the issue you are having and include your IP address (which you get at the above link).

They're aware of when there are DDoS attacks, but on the off chance that there's something else going on, providing your IP helps them to investigate the issue. I was having connection issues with this community a week ago and once I submitted my ticket (with IP address), a very short time later, I was surfing here again.

Not sure why someone would be DDoSing this community. It's not like it's a warez or gamerz forum that rejected someone for being a lunatic.

My patience will be ended soon.

Then, you may wanna renew that soon, wherever you purchased your original patience from. It never hurts to have a little extra patience.

-----------

I am having problems to, trying to load the site. Try going through a proxy and see if that helps. It did well for my connection.

Give them time to sort it, mate.

Then, you may wanna renew that soon, wherever you purchased your original patience from. It never hurts to have a little extra patience.

An extra patience? Are you serious? It's normal when I cannot reach this board almost whole day? It's normal when I have to send every post (like this - I had to wait 10 minutes) few times due problem connection with this board?

An extra patience? Are you serious? It's normal when I cannot reach this board almost whole day? It's normal when I have to send every post (like this - I had to wait 10 minutes) few times due problem connection with this board?

If you're having connection issues, visit here:

http://ip.ipslink.com/

Then submit a ticket to the Accounts/Billing department, mention the issue you are having and include your IP address (which you get at the above link).

They're aware of when there are DDoS attacks, but on the off chance that there's something else going on, providing your IP helps them to investigate the issue. I was having connection issues with this community a week ago and once I submitted my ticket (with IP address), a very short time later, I was surfing here again.

Not sure why someone would be DDoSing this community. It's not like it's a warez or gamerz forum that rejected someone for being a lunatic.

I thing that it is going on now for the last 2 weeks, but if the keep getting attacked, there isn't much that we can do here. Flaming and shooting isn't going to resolve anything. So just keep calm.

I'm sure IPS is working on a solution as we speak. And that they don't like this situation much more then you do.

• Management

Short of waving a magic wand (I'm happy to try) - I'm not sure what a couple of you are expecting us to do. Even behemoths such as Google have outages, one even last week. Numerous major sites have been impacted by Denial of Service attacks recently. Welcome to the Internet! :smile:

These forums are behind some of the most advanced mitigation equipment available. Yes, there is better. I'd be happy to raise license prices by 200-300% to cover the hundreds of thousands of dollars such equipment costs, if you'd prefer?

It is indeed frustrating -- for you and us. Ranting and raving about something completely beyond our control isn't helping the situation.

The client area is and always has been accessible. This community should not be a necessity to your usage and support of the software. If there's something you need that you can't access here, please feel free to submit a ticket.

In the meantime, we're doing the best we can to strike a balance between attack and legitimate traffic and based on this topic, we've loosened the mitigation profile to further minimize false positives.

Thanks for your patience.

And that they don't like this situation much more then you do.

I think you mean to say that IPS doesn't like it "any more than", as to say "much more" would imply that they like it a little bit more but not much. ;)

Short of waving a magic wand (I'm happy to try) - I'm not sure what a couple of you are expecting us to do. Even behemoths such as Google have outages, one even last week. Numerous major sites have been impacted by Denial of Service attacks recently. Welcome to the Internet! :smile:

These forums are behind some of the most advanced mitigation equipment available. Yes, there is better. I'd be happy to raise license prices by 200-300% to cover the hundreds of thousands of dollars such equipment costs, if you'd prefer?

I think what you point out in the first paragraph nullifies any desires for anything 'better', since ultimately, the community could still be brought down by a DDoS attack. It's the same with anything else, doesn't matter how well built it is, it's not flawless nor without limits.

I think it's something that we'll all just have to wait out.

The site keeps on crashing, at least on my end, whenever I attempt to 'Upload [a] new version' of a particular file. What happens is the screenshot thumbnails load a certain way through and then the site suddenly freezes (at least on this end) for at least several minutes. Fortunately I eventually managed to update the file. However, the site had been crashing intermittently prior to the update of my file, leading me to believe that said file is not the sole cause.

FWIW, something relating to site freezing and the loading of screenshots/thumbnails occurred on my site not too long ago. Something to do with a getimagesize command taking too long to look up images and ultimately failing to do so. Possibly not related, but if someone wants to take a look it's ticket 781487. Once again Jason H managed to resolve that one in good time.

when I posted the ddos again topic linked above it was no particular action. some were I had been sitting on the index for a bit then clicked a link, failed.

many others were I was on other site and just tried to load index page, failed.

it wasn't me fast clicking or using back/fwd a lot (any actually) or any real browsing habit that day. last week it really did seem to be due to speed reading stuff so I tried to avoid that.

but like I said, been good today. my question was more of a curiosity thing and not an actual problem today.

SIgned,

Major PITA :)

It's not as bad as it was so I gotta give credit to IPS for atleast dealing with that annoying time period...

The site sometimes now is not responding or working but if i refresh it and wait out acouple seconds, most of the time, it refreshes the page no problem.

In this case, I wouldn't say you guys should complain because it's not as bad as the site was about a week or so ago when it was completely unreachable.

All i gotta say is I've been using the site all day no problems and I've had to refresh the pages about a hundred or so times but it works... so no big deal. :)

Archived