New unread post behavior

Andrej

I know it might be suggested already.. but... haven't found a similar suggestion (or I just used wrong keyword)

I want to suggest that when there is a new unread post in a topic that has been read previously, when clicking the topic title it takes you to the unread post(s) like the round circle on the left does. At the moment, I always think that clicking the topic title brings me to the unread post like XenForo does, but instead it just keeps me at the first post.

Clicking on the topic title brings you into the topic at the beginning, as it should. If you want to go to the first unread post, or the last post in the topic, you can already do both by clicking either the unread icon or the timestamp of the last post, respectively. What you're suggesting removes the ability to go just into the topic and forces you to always go to the unread post. You may want that, I don't, though.

The icon is not very easy to find due to its size, changing icon and the fact that its sometimes not clickable.

It would be nice if there would be a setting to control this behavior and allow admins to let the main link go to last unread, and the icon to go to the first post. Most people on my big board go straight to last unread.

I fear this is especially confusing for users who are used to vbulletin and this therefore makes the transition to IPS more difficult.

The icon is not very easy to find due to its size, changing icon and the fact that its sometimes not clickable.

It would be nice if there would be a setting to control this behavior and allow admins to let the main link go to last unread, and the icon to go to the first post. Most people on my big board go straight to last unread.

I fear this is especially confusing for users who are used to vbulletin and this therefore makes the transition to IPS more difficult.

You could change the image to be more noticeable...

But if you really wanted to change the Topic Title Link to go to your first unread post you can just edit the template:

AdminCP -> Look & Feel -> Manage Skin Sets & Templates -> Manage Templates in Your Skin

Find:

<a itemprop="url" id="tid-link-{$data['_tid']}" href="{$data['_url']}" title='{parse expression="strip_tags($data['title'])"} {$this->lang->words['topic_started_on']} {parse date="$data['start_date']" format="LONG"}' class='topic_title'

Replace with:

<a itemprop="url" id="tid-link-{$data['_tid']}" href="{$data['_url']}?view=getnewpost" title='{parse expression="strip_tags($data['title'])"} {$this->lang->words['topic_started_on']} {parse date="$data['start_date']" format="LONG"}' class='topic_title'

This will add "?view=getnewpost" to the end of the URL so it will go to the last unread reply.

Archived