Make notification emails beautiful

Feld0

There are still a few who can't see HTML in emails. Of course, I don't believe that the plain text versions should get any special treatment, other than getting right to the point. Minimize any effort needed to edit the plain text versions but keep them available. Focus on making it easier to fully edit HTML versions without just plopping the plain text version inside a template.

Very few at this point, not enough to care. Plus HTML emails were added in 3.2 to fix certain bugs (or was it 3.1?) and for 4.0 it's time to do away with it and just keep HTML ones imo. Trying to do both things "right" is a waste of effort in the long run, after all the HTML ones were added exactly to fix certain bugs as I've just said.. is there any point in keeping them around or even giving a choice for it to admins in the ACP?

Personally I hope they totally remove plain-text notifications from 4.0 and just make HTML notifications look better. There is really NO point in keeping them both around in 2013. How many clients can't read HTML emails nowadays? It would make coding notifications much easier too, right now there are a lot of "hacks/tricks" in the code to handle special situations converting code from plain to html and vice-versa.

You need plaintext emails for a few reasons, but mostly because spam filters tend to mark emails that are sent with HTML only as junk. I must stress though that an email should contain both a plaintext and a HTML version, and the recipient's client will display whichever version they prefer (which, indeed, will almost always be the HTML version).

We intend to make both the HTML and plaintext versions of every email customisable in 4.0 through a dedicated "Emails" area of the Admin CP, as well as make them look good to start with. Stay tuned for more details :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought I would bring up the old topic instead of opening another one. My question is I read above under "Look&Feel/Manage System Templates" and I see the email wrapper. If I wanted to change the shade on the html email around the title of the what forum the email is coming from to darkorange background from the light blue and make the font white in the title. Can I also add my logo though the template set up with an img scr reference?

it looks like, that the Editor in the ACP dont work very well:

e.g. this "$timezone" is lost, when you save the template. I dont know why and i was starting a topic about this.

So i can imagine, that there is a probleme with "$settings" also...

you need to write

<a href="http://www.PATH-TO-YOUR-BOARD.com">You're receiving this because you subscribed from our website.</a>

Than this will be function....

• 2 weeks later...

This kind of goes along with the topic. I was wondering if we were able to change the email that gets sent when a user signs up.

it's long and ugly as well. I noticed I basically got the same email when I signed up for this community.

Is this something coming in 4.0 as mentioned in this thread?

Archived