Marketplace news

TracyIsland

In the past few months, we have seen some (many)files being handed off to various developers. Unfortunately, there is no channel to announce when a new developer has assumed control/oversight/development of a file.

For the Marketplace mods consideration -

create a blog or a forum that announces the file drops and acquisitions. So JLogica dropped the Links Directory after Brandon had let it go, is that right? And now Marcher has it? Who knew? the only way is by observation and deduction of the forum index page.

Am I asking something so difficult? It would have been nice to know which developer(s) assumed all of Michael's mods and apps (if he had any apps)

In the past few months, we have seen some (many)files being handed off to various developers. Unfortunately, there is no channel to announce when a new developer has assumed control/oversight/development of a file.

For the Marketplace mods consideration -

create a blog or a forum that announces the file drops and acquisitions. So JLogica dropped the Links Directory after Brandon had let it go, is that right? And now Marcher has it? Who knew? the only way is by observation and deduction of the forum index page.

Am I asking something so difficult? It would have been nice to know which developer(s) assumed all of Michael's mods and apps (if he had any apps)

There is infact a Marketplace Blog:

Key thing here... These are all '3rd Party' Mods and not IPS mods. It would be up to the authors to notify everyone of such changes.

Generally speaking, it doesn't really matter who the owner of a file is.... As long as that file has continued support. Am I right?

Rather than multi-quote, I'll try to explain the reason or logic behind my request.

1. The search function for marketplace mods does not always work well in yielding the most accurate search results based on a search term, say classifieds or links.

2. Other than bookmarks, it can be difficult to remember who oversees which mod or app. Sometimes it is easier to remember a developer and click on their list of files to see what they have. For those of us who may see a mod but don't think we're ready for it just yet, we may want to go back and find it again, and for some us, the easiest way to do that is to search a developer.

3. Some developers are quite quick in their turnaround of apps or updates while others say "they're working on it." So knowing who has an app or a mod can be helpful in the decision process if we want to purchase something.

4. When the time comes to do an upgrade, for say 3.14 to 3.3.4, had to create a master list of hooks and apps, and then look up one by one and annotate to ourselves which had updates that make the hook or app compatible. If we remember that Michael had an app and it has subsequently changed hands, we might find it harder to locate the app or mod.

5. Sometimes, the fact that a new developer has taken over an app or a mod can be a great thing and it would be good to know to revisit and possibly purchase.

6. yes, there is a marketplace blog but it only announces file releases but it doesn't mention that this file has been transferred from x to y or that y has picked up on the oversight of z file .... news I for one would like to hear about ...

7. and isn't a marketplace moderator a volunteer and intermediary and not an ips employee so shouldn't these kinds of file moves and ownership changes be first on their list to announce?

What do you think Lucy, all are my reasons just mindless drivel?

6. yes, there is a marketplace blog but it only announces file releases but it doesn't mention that this file has been transferred from x to y or that y has picked up on the oversight of z file .... news I for one would like to hear about ...

While that is traditionally the usage of the MP Blog entries, nothing forces that, so long as it is relevant to an MP listing the submitter is in charge of, and is appropriate, any entry we submit is ok to to publish.

Currently waiting on one re: Links to go live... is funny this topic spawned mere hours after I received the mod officially, before I could even get the MP blog entry written out fully :tongue: .

While that is traditionally the usage of the MP Blog entries, nothing forces that, so long as it is relevant to an MP listing the submitter is in charge of, and is appropriate, any entry we submit is ok to to publish.

Currently waiting on one re: Links to go live... is funny this topic spawned mere hours after I received the mod officially, before I could even get the MP blog entry written out fully :tongue: .

Well I got my eye on you Marcher, me and the FBI and we're watching you like a hawk, every turn and post you make .... :))

I see where you're coming from on this and will add in my ideas that you might appreciate.

Instead of merely what you're asking, something of a MP log would probably be a good idea.
- Add entry for... New file submitted (approved)
- Add entry for... New author
- Add entry for... Price change
- Add entry for... New version added or file edited - won't show if only change/changes are price and/or author. (If just edits and the last edit is under six hours old, then 'hide' the most recent edit from public view and only show the most recent edit. MP mods could see the hidden entries, to easier track if someone is abusing the edit feature just to bump their work.)
- Be able to filter/sort based on what is being looked for. ie, new entries, updates only, author changes, etc.
- Be able to filter/sort based on author name.
- Be able to limit the time period of the log view.

Using a Content DB, I think most/all of this should be relatively easy to set up. The only real headache would be in having the log entries added, but that's what a hook is for.

He indeed did have some apps in his name that went to others, one of them being the Shoutbox app. I acquired a few of his hooks (a few of the easy ones IMO, so there is someone watching over them while leaving the harder work for some of the better developers). This is stuff that gets discussed and is easier to notice in the Contributor's forum.

:unsure: Disturbing.

Even more so when you think about the fact that at some point, you'll need to use the restroom.

Instead of merely what you're asking, something of a MP log would probably be a good idea.
- Add entry for... New file submitted (approved)
- Add entry for... New author
- Add entry for... Price change
- Add entry for... New version added or file edited - won't show if only change/changes are price and/or author. (If just edits and the last edit is under six hours old, then 'hide' the most recent edit from public view and only show the most recent edit. MP mods could see the hidden entries, to easier track if someone is abusing the edit feature just to bump their work.)
- Be able to filter/sort based on what is being looked for. ie, new entries, updates only, author changes, etc.
- Be able to filter/sort based on author name.
- Be able to limit the time period of the log view.

Using a Content DB, I think most/all of this should be relatively easy to set up. The only real headache would be in having the log entries added, but that's what a hook is for.

A perfect solution. Thank you!

I'm afraid maintaining a list like you are describing is not really something IPS can manage, nor would we ask our (volunteer) moderators to do so either. If developers want to announce when a product is transferred, that's fine and we encourage them to do so - but I have no idea who owns what products right now, so I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to keep track of the sort of thing you are describing.

I'm afraid maintaining a list like you are describing is not really something IPS can manage, nor would we ask our (volunteer) moderators to do so either. If developers want to announce when a product is transferred, that's fine and we encourage them to do so - but I have no idea who owns what products right now, so I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to keep track of the sort of thing you are describing.

I was thinking something automated. Think in terms of a log of moderator activity, but for files. Certain entries would be hidden from the general public, such as a new file submission (that is pending approval), files that get hidden because of being broken or something, multiple edits in a short period of time (newest edit would show while hiding the more recent edit entries). All automated, so no one needs to do anything to add to the log.

Archived