Auto-update feature

Stritix

Why not implement an auto-update feature where an administrator only has to push a button in the backend to update the system? Pretty much every platform has it these days. I'd go as far to say it's a requirement. It would remove a lot of hassle for not just the users, but also the staff too since a lot of users ask the staff to upgrade their system manually for them.

Done by the IPS staff ?

No. Files are automatically uploaded to your server... You just have to go to domain.com/admin/upgrade when the automated system sends you an e-mail..

If you submit a TICKET to install/upgrade, staff will do the upgrade for you manually.

No. Files are automatically uploaded to your server... You just have to go to domain.com/admin/upgrade when the automated system sends you an e-mail..

If you submit a TICKET to install/upgrade, staff will do the upgrade for you manually.

That's not what I was talking about. That way of upgrading is completely off-site, and isn't automatic if you have to wait 30 minutes.

The upgrade will not be performed immediately. It will be enterred into a queue which is processed in the order that requests are received.

I'm talking about an option in the back end of the administration pannel of yourdomain.com that will automatically upgrade your system. Most web platforms have it.

30 minutes to upload files or up to 5 days with a ticket.

Speaking from experience, it takes me almost 30 minutes to upload a full suite of files from my home PC to my web server. So 30 minutes isn't unreasonable. And by definition it is automatic.

Your domains board doesn't have the upgrade files. It would still have to download them.

Then you get into the case of ' I just want to push the button and run the upgrade'... Well how did the upgrade files get there? Did IPS Pre push them to your server? I can assure you that many would NOT like that.

IPS gives you the keys to your board. Upgrade it or not, 3rd party apps or not, they stay out of the way of you running your board. The same should hold true for the upgrade.

I don't want IPS to force an upgrade button in my ACP and download files for me.

I personally like the ' here are the files, go to town ' approach that gives me full control.

Run a few upgrades and you'll see it only takes a few minutes of your time to organize, upload, and run the upgrade script. And the measure if control you have is greater because you and only you know the level of customization on your board and know what needs to be preserved.

30 minutes to upload files or up to 5 days with a ticket.

Speaking from experience, it takes me almost 30 minutes to upload a full suite of files from my home PC to my web server. So 30 minutes isn't unreasonable. And by definition it is automatic.

Your domains board doesn't have the upgrade files. It would still have to download them.

Then you get into the case of ' I just want to push the button and run the upgrade'... Well how did the upgrade files get there? Did IPS Pre push them to your server? I can assure you that many would NOT like that.

IPS gives you the keys to your board. Upgrade it or not, 3rd party apps or not, they stay out of the way of you running your board. The same should hold true for the upgrade.

I don't want IPS to force an upgrade button in my ACP and download files for me.

I personally like the ' here are the files, go to town ' approach that gives me full control.

Run a few upgrades and you'll see it only takes a few minutes of your time to organize, upload, and run the upgrade script. And the measure if control you have is greater because you and only you know the level of customization on your board and know what needs to be preserved.

No. In Wordpress, there's an update centre page which is connected to Wordpress.com and lets you automatically update with a push of a button by the system doing the work itself. You can still download the files and do it yourself with Wordpress, but this option is much easier.

It's a common feature in modern web platforms. No matter what your personal opinion is, this is a fact.

This is also supposed to be a suggestion forum, you know.

I love IP Board, but would also love them to be up to date in this area.

True... Valid suggestion..

But i'm telling you, it exists.. Just not on YOUR ACP. You have to go to your client area. Something that I'm sure helps with Piracy... You have to be able to log in as an active client to be able to access that option...

I'm guessing the Wordpress download isn't as large as IP.Board + apps... So the auto-upgrader and a 30 minute wait time for a file push isn't unreasonable.

I should press the button30 minutes to upload files or up to 5 days with a ticket.

I would like to have the option for it.

A friendly reminder in the control panel: There is a new version of the board and the Gallery.Would you like to upgrade to it/them?

I should press the button: Yes.
IPS would upload to my server the ZIP file(s).

They would be unzipped there and the upgrade process could start.

This is something I'm really keen on adding.

It's difficult, because:

1) The IPS Community Suite is massive - the download size is much bigger than anyone I've seen who does this

2) The suite is broken into individual apps, which need to be pieced together

3) With system functions disabled in PHP (which we recommend) there isn't an easy way to decompress a file in a manner that will work on all servers

4) Overwriting files comes with permission issues, it would probably need to be done with F`TP credentials (which means saving unencrypted FTP details)

All of these things can be overcome. It's just not something which is as simple as "upload a zip to my server and then do the upgrade".

This is why we have the current auto-installer as a stop-gap.

All of these things can be overcome. It's just not something which is as simple as "upload a zip to my server and then do the upgrade".

Mark,I'm really not keen to have it,that's why I said:
"I would like to have the option for it."

Archived