I agree checkbox for Upgrade - Support

Siva Ganesh

Whenever I request the support to upgrade my IPB , they request to agree to the following .

I understand that I am requesting Invision Power Services perform an upgrade to my software on my behalf.
Upgrading between versions will result in the loss of custom changes such as skins, images, or other modifications.
It is the customer's responsibility to perform a backup of the database, skins, and important files before the upgrade request is entered.
By completing this upgrade request, you are indicating a backup has been made to restore your software and data in the event of upgrade issues.

Once we have your acceptance and the requested information, we can proceed with the upgrade.

Why not have a checkbox appears as soon as I select Install/Upgrade Request ??

I open a support ticket to upgrade, then the team replies with TOS statement after 6 to 10 hours , I reply after checking my email ( 1 hour to 3 hours ) and finally it might be upgraded after another 6 to 10 hours .

Because manually typing out the words "I agree" is more confirmatory than checking a box.

"That was an accident. I didn't mean to check it."

If the box is initially unchecked and user selects, then he/she knows it !

I got a reply from team after another 22 hours and now they are about to upgrade.

Sometimes IPS Staff will go through tickets, outside of the normal queue, and make sure the disclaimer is agreed to... Then when it does come up in the queue, everything is ready to go... So just because you get a reply asking to agree to the disclaimer, doesn't mean it's your turn in the queue.

Typically, upgrades are only done during normal business hours...

Also, you should note that the IPS License agreement says up to 5 days for upgrades. 22 hours is nothing...

You also could have use the auto-upgrade option and had it done in 30 minutes.

If the box is initially unchecked and user selects, then he/she knows it !

Not necessarily. Sometimes people will just check a box assuming it's required for the form to submit without actually reading it. Most people here suck at english and they might also think the same thing of the box. A verbal agreement is much more formal, professional, and binding.

Not necessarily. Sometimes people will just check a box assuming it's required for the form to submit without actually reading it. Most people here suck at english and they might also think the same thing of the box. A verbal agreement is much more formal, professional, and binding.

Answer:

I think it is generally accepted that if you check a "I agree" box that this constitutes your agreement. You can't then argue "well I didn't actually read it". That's your own fault.

Archived