New 3.4 quote..

LinkMania

I've got members reporting that quotes dont show up for them now. Just one big continuous post apparently.

Why fix stuff that doesn't need fixing when there are a million other things to worry about?

I swear.... 14 years and i've gone from UBB > VB > IPS and I feel I need to be looking again.

FOCUS..... for pete's sake. :(

So...is it a bug that it only works at the end of sentences or..?

Not sure if it's like that in case you want to add a line to a quote or not.

You are right, seems a skin problem. I will report it to Ehren.

If you changed the CSS for your quote boxes, the the coding for quotes has change a little.

Previously it was like the following:

div.blockquote {
CSS WENT HERE
}

But it has since changed to be:

blockquote.ipsBlockquote {
CSS GOES HERE
}

It's a simple and quick fix and it can be found in ips_common.css

The new quoting system is a mess IMO. If I quote someone, the following happens: -

2 blank lines are inserted into the quick reply box, then the quote is inserted, but without it showing the name of the person I'm quoting (nor the date or time). The name/date/time does show up when the post is submitted, but this is a step back in functionality and what's with the 2 blank lines?

If I click inside the quote box, say, to make some of the text bold for emphasis, I can then no longer click beneath the quote box to add a reply. What I have to do is go to the end of the text I'm quoting, press enter to insert a blank line inside the quote box, then the ability to place the cursor below the quote box returns.

The quote splitting thing mentioned in earlier posts in this thread does not work.

And I still hate the fact that the blank line was removed in between the quote box and the reply. It just doesn't look good and I know it was changed several versions ago, but I still don't see why, when no other forum software that's commonly used does this, and neither did IPB for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got members reporting that quotes dont show up for them now. Just one big continuous post apparently.

Why fix stuff that doesn't need fixing when there are a million other things to worry about?

I swear.... 14 years and i've gone from UBB > VB > IPS and I feel I need to be looking again.

FOCUS..... for pete's sake. :sad:

I couldn't have said it better.. "hey lets add 'ips' infront of random code!"

If you changed the CSS for your quote boxes, the the coding for quotes has change a little.

div.blockquote {
CSS WENT HERE
}

CSS GOES HERE
}

Spank you.. doing this now.

Oh and BTW, the above edit works! Fixed like a charm..

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i have a problem with the IPBoard 3.4 update with quotes.

Some threads works fine but not others, the quoted text are not in the box, example:

attachicon.gifquote2.jpg

System has been recached and my internet browser, after that, the Quote works fine in the reply options but do not appear correctly when you post it on the forum:

attachicon.gifquote1.png

I'm having the same exact issue on my forum too =/ Also a custom skin. Where can I find the quote block templates?

div.blockquote {
CSS WENT HERE
}

CSS GOES HERE
}

I would also suggest adding a bit of padding otherwise the text is up against the quote borders.

CSS GOES HERE
padding: 5px 8px;
}

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is off-topic, but I can't find a topic that describes what I am seeing.

Background:

I am a mod on a forum. We generally remove quotes if the poster is quoting the post directly above their post.

If I am not in the bbcode mode (clicked the switch), if I highlight the quote box to delete it, pressing delete removes the graphic outline box, BUT places the quoted text in its entirety underneath the posters original text.

In bbcode mode, you don't get this result by highlighting everything including the quote markers and then deleting.

It used to work correctly, but doesn't now?

Archived